BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post

Point of reference, someone measured the surface temp of the track, 142 degrees. This is about as extreme as it gets out here. My instructor in his e46, smg had to pull back, temp needle was in the red. Even with the temps, weekend was a blast.

Others I've spoken with seem to like the car, wish it was lighter with better mpg, but thats about it. Those were all the MT guys though.
actually some of us measured 160 degrees on the asphalt in the paddock!!!
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Nice, 160 in the paddock, I wonder if the actual track was even hotter or about the same. Anyway, thats an incredible amount to shed. I'm not expecting many street cars to take this well. Good to know that 255, didn't trigger a limp mode though for a MT.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
Nice, 160 in the paddock, I wonder if the actual track was even hotter or about the same. Anyway, thats an incredible amount to shed. I'm not expecting many street cars to take this well. Good to know that 255, didn't trigger a limp mode though for a MT.
how did your 335i do in the heat Satruday? have you ever had limp home issues? did any other 335's have heat issues?
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #26
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Better than i thought, but anything over 90 degrees outside the car has issues after 3-4 hot laps. Once the temp gets to 290, I feel the loss of power but no limp modes. At that point I just cruise threw the straights or take it easy for a couple minutes and pit. Once the temps drop a bit I can run a few more laps to end the session w/o any issues. I have yet to get a full blown limp mode, but then again whats the point in trying. The car has a retro-fitted oil cooler already. Ideal, no, able to still have some fun, absolutely.

I hung out with a few others from e90post, they didn't have any major issues. But they did have MT, and also were running in the beginner group.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #27
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
Better than i thought, but anything over 90 degrees outside the car has issues after 3-4 hot laps. Once the temp gets to 290, I feel the loss of power but no limp modes. At that point I just cruise threw the straights or take it easy for a couple minutes and pit. Once the temps drop a bit I can run a few more laps to end the session w/o any issues. I have yet to get a full blown limp mode, but then again whats the point in trying. The car has a retro-fitted oil cooler already. Ideal, no, able to still have some fun, absolutely.

I hung out with a few others from e90post, they didn't have any major issues. But they did have MT, and also were running in the beginner group.
cool!....I mean Hot! ?!?!?! i mean thumbs up!
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #28
V1.47fan
Major
 
V1.47fan's Avatar
 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

Posts: 1,223
iTrader: (0)

Nice choice of track wheels,looks good as well.
V1.47fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #29
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Nice choice of track wheels,looks good as well.
thanks - they dont show brake dust at all either!
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #30
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 579
iTrader: (0)

This may sound like a redundent question that's been answered but can someone confirm that M3's equiped without M-Drive still receive MDM?

Thanks
03SG///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #31
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

i think thats correct - but I have i-drive and m-drive. I think you would select it withthe console button.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,897
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
had fun playing with a GT3 which seemed to be the only car out there to present much of a challenge.
Seriously.......

I think he was playing with YOU. lol
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #33
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

for sure a new GT3 with equal drivers will pull away.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #34
enigma
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

Posts: 689
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
this was my first time tracking the e92 so I ran with MDM on and was pretty conservative. MDM starting kicking in towards the end of the day as I pushed more - it sure is a HUGE improvement over the e46 traction control.
Its an improvement but I still found it very intrusive. Its not in the same class as true track oriented stuff. Probably not the 2s per lap the old system cost, but more like 1-1.5s now.
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
enigma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I wished the manufacturers offered the driver to option of either having stability control or traction control on. They always disengage the traction control first, leaving the stability control on.....why?

With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner. Where as stability control system affect the car's balance and attack of a corner and thus ultimately affect it's corner speed, traction control only affects the amount of traction the driven wheels receive. This would allow less experienced drivers to lean on the power more and more without really affecting the lap times.

The ultimate system would be an adjustable one where you have the control to alter how much of a safety net is available.

What's your thoughts on such a setup?
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #36
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I wished the manufacturers offered the driver to option of either having stability control or traction control on. They always disengage the traction control first, leaving the stability control on.....why?

With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner. Where as stability control system affect the car's balance and attack of a corner and thus ultimately affect it's corner speed, traction control only affects the amount of traction the driven wheels receive. This would allow less experienced drivers to lean on the power more and more without really affecting the lap times.

The ultimate system would be an adjustable one where you have the control to alter how much of a safety net is available.

What's your thoughts on such a setup?
I guess if they had an F1 type of traction control you would be faster- but it removes the skill and challange. I just prefer both off. thank goodness BMW allows that as many makes dont.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I guess if they had an F1 type of traction control you would be faster- but it removes the skill and challange. I just prefer both off. thank goodness BMW allows that as many makes dont.

I have no problem with totally OFF, but many guys out there aren't that skilled and when you drive with Stability ON you have no control and don't learn shit on how to approach a corner and what is the right speed for not only the car but the conditions as well.

One thing I would like to add, this option should only be available at a track, so a system similar to the GTR's speed limiter that is controlled by the Sat-Nav would be a great idea.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #38
enigma
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

Posts: 689
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I guess if they had an F1 type of traction control you would be faster- but it removes the skill and challange. I just prefer both off. thank goodness BMW allows that as many makes dont.
Should they have a switch for the ABS also?

Racelogic quality traction control would be a good thing.
__________________
Manual gearboxes, the rotary dial of cars.
enigma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Should they have a switch for the ABS also?

Racelogic quality traction control would be a good thing.

Exactly my point, such a system on a new CSL would make it a much better option for serious trackday customers and might help justify part of the price BMW would require of such a machine. Though when you see what Renault has done with their Megane R26R you have to question whether a huge price difference is really justified, especially when it can improve the normal car's lap time by 30 seconds and costs buttons more.

At times I feel we are shafted purely because they know we the public will pay it.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #40
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner.
The problem with the current MDM setup is that it really cuts the power. I don't know if it completely stops torque delivery or not, but the intervention is severe. Moreover, it lasts a good half second or so, and you kind of get "stuck" in that state coming out of a corner, which actually somewhat unsettles the car if you had it in a controlled slide. I am sure the magnitude and the duration of the intervention can be tweaked though.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #41
cchan
Private
 
Drives: '12 F30 328i/'11 C2S/'04 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay, CA

Posts: 91
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
for sure a new GT3 with equal drivers will pull away.
What were you doing, taunting one of the students?
__________________
Golden Gate BMWCCA - Car Control Clinics
'13 C4S/'12 328i/'04 GT3
Past: '09 M3 DCT/'03 M3 SMG/'95 M3... missing an E30 I suppose...
cchan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #42
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The problem with the current MDM setup is that it really cuts the power. I don't know if it completely stops torque delivery or not, but the intervention is severe. Moreover, it lasts a good half second or so, and you kind of get "stuck" in that state coming out of a corner, which actually somewhat unsettles the car if you had it in a controlled slide. I am sure the magnitude and the duration of the intervention can be tweaked though.
You have to remember that an M3 is a mass produced (100,000 models) car and is designed for primarily road use by normal drivers. To have a system like I am suggesting I think it would have to be linked to the Sat-Nav that knows when you are on a known race track and only engage then, much like the speed limiter of the Japanese GTRs.

MDM, isn't a great system, it may be better than before but what is required is something similar to the F430. In it's best setting the car can lap within 0.1~0.2s of the car with all settings turned off, such a system may had cost a lot to develop and that's why it's only currently available on very expensive Ferraris.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #43
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You have to remember that an M3 is a mass produced (100,000 models) car and is designed for primarily road use by normal drivers. To have a system like I am suggesting I think it would have to be linked to the Sat-Nav that knows when you are on a known race track and only engage then, much like the speed limiter of the Japanese GTRs.

MDM, isn't a great system, it may be better than before but what is required is something similar to the F430. In it's best setting the car can lap within 0.1~0.2s of the car with all settings turned off, such a system may had cost a lot to develop and that's why it's only currently available on very expensive Ferraris.
most car mag tests show the cars are quicker with trqaction control fully off - except I recall the COrvette seemed to have a system that was faster in track mode.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #44
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,773
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I wished the manufacturers offered the driver to option of either having stability control or traction control on. They always disengage the traction control first, leaving the stability control on.....why?

With just the right amount of play a good traction control system can prove a benefit on the track, especially with cars that suffer traction issues exiting a corner. Where as stability control system affect the car's balance and attack of a corner and thus ultimately affect it's corner speed, traction control only affects the amount of traction the driven wheels receive. This would allow less experienced drivers to lean on the power more and more without really affecting the lap times.

The ultimate system would be an adjustable one where you have the control to alter how much of a safety net is available.

What's your thoughts on such a setup?
Motorcycles have that,The 1098R has a 8 position traction control setting

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my200...el=SBK1098R-08

I dont understand why a stand alone TCS cannot be offered without stability control.That might actually be of some use on track unlike MDM.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST