BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

GT Haus

07-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
sizquik
Private First Class

Drives: 997.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
There was a thread someone posted up a few months ago about the side vents being functional or not. They had gotten some BMW rep to comment on them and their function, saying that "they look like vents, are they functional?" The BMW rep's responce was that they were purely aesthetic. I imagine that if they were really used for heat dispersal of any kind he would of mentioned it as a feature for the beastly engine.

I don't have alot of time but if its of alot of concern I'll track down that thread from a while back.
I believe they are non-functional. On the Lexus IS-F the vents behind the front wheels are.
      07-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #24
composed
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe, Alpine White

Quote:
There was a thread someone posted up a few months ago about the side vents being functional or not. They had gotten some BMW rep to comment on them and their function, saying that "they look like vents, are they functional?" The BMW rep's responce was that they were purely aesthetic. I imagine that if they were really used for heat dispersal of any kind he would of mentioned it as a feature for the beastly engine.

I don't have alot of time but if its of alot of concern I'll track down that thread from a while back.
This would be where BMW mentions it as a feature! The sales brochure (the small one), 4th page... and it is also mentioned in other places (in that brochure again on page 17, and in at least one of the larger brochures) as "Intelligently placed air intakes in the front and sides of the M3 allow for proper ventilation for the V-8 engine.". See attached and underlined...
Attached Images

E92 M3 : Alpine White - Black Speed Cloth - Tech Package - H&R Sport Springs - Evosport 19" RG8 3-piece wheels - painted reflectors - Powerchip software - mObridge iPod integration kit - (scheduled for Evosport pulley install)

Last edited by composed; 07-07-2008 at 10:38 PM.
composed is offline   United_States
      07-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #25
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!

Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
If you bring a light to the side vents you can see they are closed off, making them nonfunctional.
      07-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #26
schadenfreude
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, the after market grills warping thing isn't an issue with heat dispersal. The heat from the engine is just causing the clear coat over the carbon fiber to bubble. You also are mixing 2 different areas of the car, the kidney grills (up front and center) and the side vents (just aft the front wheel-wells).
Thanks for the correction. I hadn't thought about the dirt streaks a functional port would have caused. Not having an M yet I haven't played around under the hood much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
did you debadge your Audi? when we had out S4 a Blonde walked by and saw the four rings and said " I didnt know they made an Olympic car version?" her husband quickly yanked her away muttering it was an Audi.

Nah, the Audi's not debadged, but the GTI is. I remember my sister used to think Audi's had something to do with the olympics, too.
schadenfreude is offline   United_States
      07-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #27
ferrari6891
the original brown guy

Drives: 08 E92 M3, 11 E90 M3

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [3.83]
IMO,
people die(well..not literally lol) to have an M car...and were talking about debading an one. I never saw a reason to debadge something that we have and other people will never get a chance to drive...Be proud of the M
lol..I am
ferrari6891 is offline   United_States
      07-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #28
gadget
Major

Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

back to the original question...

anything is possible, it just costs more.

Pay a body shop to do it.
gadget is offline   United_States
      07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #29
flyingcamel

Drives: 2008 m3

I am not sure man. Have you stood by the new M3 after a good drive. Did you notice how much heat is radiating from it? Even if the vents are not connected to anything, I want to think that air should be able to escape from the vents as the car is moving forward (Newton Law), thus contributing to the cooling effect. To calrify, I would not think of it as air intake, but more like ventilation, since air is coming in from different spots. I really should not lecture on stuff I don't totally understand, but it's my two cents.