BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM Sport

07-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #67
Neurorad
Major

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Chuck Baldwin graduated from La Porte High School in 1971 and attended Midwestern Baptist College in Pontiac, Michigan for two years. After he and Connie married and upon graduation they moved to Lynchburg, Virginia where he enrolled in Liberty Bible Institute at Liberty University. He earned his Bachelor and Master Degrees in Theology. Chuck has also received two honorary Doctorate Degrees.

What is wrong with earning bachelor and master degrees? What is wrong with being honored with doctorate degrees? I'll answer it myself: Nothing wrong with it.

Well, they're in theology for one. Calling yourself 'Dr.' after receiving an honorary degree, well, I don't know if that's kosher. How common is it to call yourself 'Dr.' after an honorary degree?
      07-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #68
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Well, they're in theology for one. Calling yourself 'Dr.' after receiving an honorary degree, well, I don't know if that's kosher. How common is it to call yourself 'Dr.' after an honorary degree?
I don't know how common it is. I had never heard him called Dr. until your post (maybe I just hadn't noticed). I have always heard/read of him referred to as Chuck Baldwin. It doesn't seem to matter whether he goes by Mr., Pastor, or Dr. Makes no difference.

Do you give greater respect to Ron Paul when he is referred to as Dr. Paul? I have heard his title used many times. It seems appropriate, since he is a doctor. Though truth be told, I generally don't like doctors. They tend to be arrogant. [I am over-generalizing here.]

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      07-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #69
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
Though truth be told, I generally don't like doctors. They tend to be arrogant. [I am over-generalizing here.]
Many intelligent people tend toward arrogance.

But I doubt that's the reason you don't like doctors:

1. "Scott, please remove your clothes and bend over this table."
2. "It's only a little needle."
3. "Yes, as a matter of fact, Scott, I do know what's best."
4. "Scott, if you want me to keep treating you, you're going to have to stop quoting the bible."
      07-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #70
cycler
Major General

Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

after reading all your posts on this thread and the others Im going to ask a question that most likely will start a flaming party against me but do you guys mind telling me your age and who you will be voting for in the next presidential election
      07-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #71
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Many intelligent people tend toward arrogance.

But I doubt that's the reason you don't like doctors:

1. "Scott, please remove your clothes and bend over this table."
2. "It's only a little needle."
3. "Yes, as a matter of fact, Scott, I do know what's best."
4. "Scott, if you want me to keep treating you, you're going to have to stop quoting the bible."
I had forgotten that you were a doctor. Though I frequently disagree with your posts, generally they are entertaining and include some thinking. Many posters from the left just can't pull it off. I hope that even though we disagree, the exchange of ideas is at least interesting. Three out of four of your reasons are probably true. For me, number four has never come up in a visit to the doctor or in dealing with a doctor who is a client.

07-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #72
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
I had forgotten that you were a doctor. Though I frequently disagree with your posts, generally they are entertaining and include some thinking. Many posters from the left just can't pull it off. I hope that even though we disagree, the exchange of ideas is at least interesting. Three out of four of your reasons are probably true. For me, number four has never come up in a visit to the doctor or in dealing with a doctor who is a client.
Scott, I'm not 'from the left' - I'm middle of the road, average American, who thinks things through more thoroughly than most. I question everything I hear.

But honestly, after being on this board for 2.5 years, and reading your (and others') posts, I think I'm becoming more left-leaning; I'm having to 'disprove' all of the propaganda coming from the far right (thanks!). The 'left' isn't reprented at all on this BMW board.

I'm occasionally asked to pray with patients before procedures; I do so wholeheartedly, as it provides needed calm and inspiration to patients and their families. It really does provide a sense of 'well-being' to the anxious patient.
      07-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #73
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Scott, I'm not 'from the left' - I'm middle of the road, average American, who thinks things through more thoroughly than most. I question everything I hear.

But honestly, after being on this board for 2.5 years, and reading your (and others') posts, I think I'm becoming more left-leaning; I'm having to 'disprove' all of the propaganda coming from the far right (thanks!). The 'left' isn't reprented at all on this BMW board.

I'm occasionally asked to pray with patients before procedures; I do so wholeheartedly, as it provides needed calm and inspiration to patients and their families. It really does provide a sense of 'well-being' to the anxious patient.
Maybe that's why I can have some respect for your views though I may disagree with them.

I would probably have to review some of your posts, but I thought you were well left of center. Those in the center seem to be rather boring. Center is not where I would want to be. It seems that those in the center are usually uninformed. With more information, usually one will gravitate either left or right.

Aren't frequent posters like dr325i and e90im pretty far left? It's hard to take them seriously because their thoughts are so far off. Since English is not their native language, I sometimes try harder to understand their view, but it has seemed a wasted effort.

07-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #74
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
Maybe that's why I can have some respect for your views though I may disagree with them.

I would probably have to review some of your posts, but I thought you were well left of center. Those in the center seem to be rather boring. Center is not where I would want to be. It seems that those in the center are usually uninformed. With more information, usually one will gravitate either left or right.

Aren't frequent posters like dr325i and e90im pretty far left? It's hard to take them seriously because their thoughts are so far off. Since English is not their native language, I sometimes try harder to understand their view, but it has seemed a wasted effort.
No, they are not far left. It's hard to imagine who is really 'far left', as lots of people are 'far left' only on specific issues. That CPA down the street may be an ardent environmentalist on the weekends, or your local cop may stuff envelopes for PETA in his spare time.

Right vs. left in the population is a bell curve. You only hear right vs. left on specific issues, being touted by a writer, politician, or commentator with a bias. It's in their best interests to get the reader/listener 'fired up'.

I'm not saying there aren't people who are right- or left leaning; it's just not that cut and dry.
      07-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #75
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
No, they are not far left. It's hard to imagine who is really 'far left', as lots of people are 'far left' only on specific issues. That CPA down the street may be an ardent environmentalist on the weekends, or your local cop may stuff envelopes for PETA in his spare time.

Right vs. left in the population is a bell curve. You only hear right vs. left on specific issues, being touted by a writer, politician, or commentator with a bias. It's in their best interests to get the reader/listener 'fired up'.

I'm not saying there aren't people who are right- or left leaning; it's just not that cut and dry.
It's not that cut and dry. People are individuals. That is why I do not subscribe to a label of conservative. It carries too many preconceived notions that may not apply to me. I'd rather address individual issues.

Have you ever seen those two take a position other than from either the far left or from out of this world? I can't think of one.