BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

07-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Why Don't We See Hear This in US Press?

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
July 6, 2008
Iraqis lead final purge of Al-Qaeda
Marie Colvin in Mosul

American and Iraqi forces are driving Al-Qaeda in Iraq out of its last redoubt in the north of the country in the culmination of one of the most spectacular victories of the war on terror.

After being forced from its strongholds in the west and centre of Iraq in the past two years, Al-Qaeda’s dwindling band of fighters has made a defiant “last stand” in the northern city of Mosul.

A huge operation to crush the 1,200 fighters who remained from a terrorist force once estimated at more than 12,000 began on May 10.

Operation Lion’s Roar, in which the Iraqi army combined forces with the Americans’ 3rd Armoured Cavalry Regiment, has already resulted in the death of Abu Khalaf, the Al-Qaeda leader, and the capture of more than 1,000 suspects.

The group has been reduced to hit-and-run attacks, including one that killed two off-duty policemen yesterday, and sporadic bombings aimed at killing large numbers of officials and civilians.
Read the rest.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      07-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Robertbog
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Or how about this? http://americangoy.blogspot.com/2008...obama-and.html

They obviously are having a slam poetry get together of the most powerful people in the world.
      07-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
enfield
Civilian

Drives: Range Rover Sport Supercharged

because there never was Al-Qaeda in Iraq before the US launched it's Illegal War of Aggression.
enfield is offline   Canada
      07-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
because there never was Al-Qaeda in Iraq before the US launched it's Illegal War of Aggression.
1. If it were true that there were no al Qaeda members in Iraq prior to the invasion (which is not true), how does that change the fact that they moved into Iraq, declared Iraq the central front in their war against us, and have suffered a significant strategic defeat there?

2. What international body is responsible for adjudicating the legality of the use of military force? Has that body declared the war in Iraq illegal? If so, when? If not, what is the basis for your claim that it is illegal?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Rips335iCoupe
Banned

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
      07-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Illegal War of Aggression.
I guess your opinion of the UN isn't very high then? (Don't worry, I hate them too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
2. What international body is responsible for adjudicating the legality of the use of military force? Has that body declared the war in Iraq illegal? If so, when? If not, what is the basis for your claim that it is illegal?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      07-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
The U.S. needs to finish the job (hopefully Al Qaeda will never be able to recover) then come home.

Whether to keep a permanent base there is a difficult question. It would seem to make sense, but we have bases in places where they probably don't serve a necessary purpose. I am not sure we can count on the right decision from our leadership on whether to keep a base there or not. Don't the two major party candidates disagree on this? One of them must be wrong.

The public (including myself) don't have a good enough understanding of what effect a semi-permanent base in Iraq would have over the next 100 years. The flip side of that same point is what will happen without a base? I would think that a permanent base would reduce the chance another nation (such as Iran) would go to war with Iraq. It also would increase the chance that the U.S. would stage war against other nations in the region using that base. Either scenario would seem to be an undesirable effect.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      07-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #8
cycler
Major General

Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
and the twin towers were actually destroyed by chinese pilots right
      07-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
and the twin towers were actually destroyed by chinese pilots right
And what does that have to do with IRAQ, again???
      07-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I guess your opinion of the UN isn't very high then? (Don't worry, I hate them too)

+1
What about UN?
Did it authorize the War?
Did other countries from SC join?

I guess not...
Don't blame ANYTHING on UN or ANY other country -- it is all shame for us.
      07-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Whether to keep a permanent base there is a difficult question.

The public (including myself) don't have a good enough understanding of what effect a semi-permanent base in Iraq would have over the next 100 years. The flip side of that same point is what will happen without a base? I would think that a permanent base would reduce the chance another nation (such as Iran) would go to war with Iraq. It also would increase the chance that the U.S. would stage war against other nations in the region using that base. Either scenario would seem to be an undesirable effect.
I agree partly. I think it is important to maintain a base there simply because it's a desirable location to have a land base located. Would make things much easier in the future if something happens and we need to resume major combat operations in the area. What I disagree with is that it would increase the chance of war with other powers in the area. Having a base in an area has nothing to do with such a decision.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      07-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
What about UN?
Did it authorize the War?
Yes. Resolution 1441.
Did other countries from SC join?
Yes. The UK.
I guess not... As stated above, this statement is incorrect.
Don't blame ANYTHING on UN or ANY other country -- it is all shame for us.
I agree, the UN today it an absolute joke. I despise it but I understand the need for it's functions so I'm not wholly against it.

Quote:
      07-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
I agree, the UN today it an absolute joke. I despise it but I understand the need for it's functions so I'm not wholly against it.
Resolution that you put up there was misused (same as the 9/11 tragedy) to do all the attrocities since 2003. It was proven over and over by our latest research and intelligence, by many foreign too that there was no imminent threat from Iraq, that there was no Iraq involvement with the 9/11 stuff, and that there were less members of Al Qaeda in Iraq than in the US (currently). Other countries did not rush...

As for the UK example...what a joke. You guys are so desperate... Ask British public what they thought and still think of heavy brown noser Blair and their involvement in Iraq... Ask Canadians, Koreans...all of the "forced" countries...
      07-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
You are wasting your time. Facts and logic mean nothing to dr325i. He will tell you that UN Resolutions do not mean what they say, that they come with some sort of expiration date, and that the nations that did join us did so because they wanted something from us.

He is and works to remain willfully ignorant on this and any subject remotely connected to President Bush.

My advice is don't waste the wear on your keyboard with him.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #15
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
As for the UK example...what a joke. You guys are so desperate... Ask British public what they thought and still think of heavy brown noser Blair and their involvement in Iraq... Ask Canadians, Koreans...all of the "forced" countries...
So 45,000 troops don't count as involvement from another SC nation? Our allies supporting us is now brown nosing?

Quote:
      07-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
My advice is don't waste the wear on your keyboard with him.
Indeed, I thought I'd try this time since it's not exactly possible to refute that there were 45,000 British troops that joined in the invasion, but, as you can see, he tried.

Quote:
      07-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #17
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
the 9/11 stuff
Your language calling what happened on 9/11 "stuff" reveals much about your attitude. What does "stuff" mean to you?

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States