BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

GetBMWParts

06-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant

Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [0.00]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Apparently BMWs aren't very high quality?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...alityCars.aspx

I never knew BMWs had as many issues as implied by this article. I'm I missing something, I'm not a bimmer fan boy, but I though BMW could do better than a 21st ranking.
      06-28-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
blue-e92
Private

Drives: MB E92

a buddy of mine sat in the back... and had to move over for another person to get in... he scraped the center console piece. $235 part.

I came out from a restaurant and pushed the cupholder to put my drink in when I missed it and my fingernail scraped the exterior finish of the cupholder... IT SCRAPED LIKE BUTTER!

The car came w/ a chip on the edge of the driver's side door. I had it touched up.

2 months after, I lightly hit this minivan while opening the door... chipped the edge of my door. Here's the funny thing... NOTHING ON THE MINIVAN.

Poor interior quality (which I read from Edmunds and swallowed the fact when I bought the car) ..... and poor paint (I've owned a 325ci as well)
      06-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
ubern00b
First Lieutenant

Drives: 06 325i

id just be curious to see the data on this - what bmw cars were tested by consumers and what problems were reported?
      06-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king

Drives: 2008 E91

It's another JD Power survey -- "The study, released Wednesday, measures problems in the first 90 days of ownership."

We know BMW buyers are more anal than most car buyers, and we know they often don't RTFM.

Acura is #17... my Acura was flat out the most reliable car I ever owned. Zero (0) problems.

I would take anything JD Power says with several pounds of salt.

Consumer Reports reports better than average reliability for the 3er and Z4; average for the 5, 7, X3 and X5. BMWs aren't Toyotas but there is a lot of stuff in a BMW that isn't there in a Toyota to break.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
      06-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

And to think BMW is one of the most profitable and successful car companies in the world; I just wonder how they do it.
      06-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

Luck of the draw I guess - my 06 lexus had more problems than my 03 BMW ever did or my 08 BMW has had and they are #3!

Just think - if BMW wasn't replacing every High Pressure Fuel Pumps in 335's, they might be at the top of the list!
roadkillrob is online now   United_States
      06-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General

Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
Good post.
Not at all suprised.
BMW make great car. . . Just not very reliable ones.
Very glad for the free maintainance
PaulBailey@ltbmw is offline   Italy
      06-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Carnage
Lieutenant General

Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
And to think BMW is one of the most profitable and successful car companies in the world; I just wonder how they do it.
two words...badge whores. There are plenty of other cars built just as well or better, that are cheaper and get better MPG and are more reliable then a BMW, that do what a car is basically meant to do which is get you from Point A to Point B. Once a badge whore moves on, there's always 2-3 more ready to take their place.
Carnage is offline   United_States
      06-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
itsbrokeagain

Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
You think BMWs are bad...Porsches were the worst back in the late 60s-80s...carbs were unreliable, the convertible 911s or the targas leaked, whistled, and didnt seal right, the engines were tempermental, expensive to maintain....

And yet people snapped them up faster than Porsche could make them.

Its all about the marque....if its the high end of fashion, or I look good driving it, then Im going to buy it..no matter how unreliable it is.

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
      06-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
mfstout
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 328i Coupe

So far my 2 bimmers have had minor things here and there, but nothing major. As reliable a car as I have ever owned, but I realize that now that I've written this...I'm screwed. Oh well.
mfstout is offline   United_States
      06-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
GregL
Brigadier General

Drives: 2010 C350 4Matic

In the winter my BMW's interior sounds like a bag of twigs and out of the 3 items I had the dealer fix because of creaks and squeaks, 2 of the repairs created whole new ones.

My Infiniti by comparison which by the time I sold it had 75,000km over the course of 6 years was totally flawless. Not a peep from any of the trim even when driving over rough terrain, and the only thing that ever went wrong mechanically and had to be covered by warranty were two oxygen sensors and a crankshaft position sensor. Other than regular fluid and filter changes I only had to have the belts changed once and that was it.
      06-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
MrOffshore
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE92 View Post
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...alityCars.aspx

I never knew BMWs had as many issues as implied by this article. I'm I missing something, I'm not a bimmer fan boy, but I though BMW could do better than a 21st ranking.
This must be your first experience with a BMW...while I love my car, let's be honest, they're known for having their share of problems...and regardless of what that article said, Porsche does not build the highest quality automobile...fewer problems only because people don't drive them nearly as much and don't have the time to take it into the shop...so they just live with their problems...that's my take on it, it's not factual but I would be my left nut that if I polled Porsche owners and Honda owners, I'd see happier Honda owners with fewer real-life problems.

I know several people who own Porsches as daily drivers and while they love the idea of owning a Porsche, they'll be the first ones to tell you they have more than their share of issues.

You also have to keep in mind who's reporting these figures...most are skewered one way or another...I don't even trust Consumer Reports...they have it out for some manufacturers and love others...opinion and fact are so often mixed together you can't tell one from the other.

I love my BMW, but I expect I will have some issues, the beauty of the BMW is that I don't pay for ANY of the problems (not even maintenance) in the time I will have it...only tires and accidental damage....NOTHING else...PERIOD. So why should I care if it breaks...they give me a nice loan too.

Yea though I drive through the valley of inferior automobiles, I will fear no evil: for Thou BMW is with me; Thy throttle and Thy steering wheel comfort me. "Psalms 335:xi
      06-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
MrOffshore
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout View Post
So far my 2 bimmers have had minor things here and there, but nothing major. As reliable a car as I have ever owned, but I realize that now that I've written this...I'm screwed. Oh well.
Murphy's law says so...just say a prayer to St. Michael and all will be forgiven!!

Yea though I drive through the valley of inferior automobiles, I will fear no evil: for Thou BMW is with me; Thy throttle and Thy steering wheel comfort me. "Psalms 335:xi
      06-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
adjmcloon
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i sport/premium

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Any high performance car is going to have its share of issues, it's the nature of the beast. I drive a BMW not because of the badge, but because it drives and handles better than anything else on the road in that price range. If you're concerned about reliability, search around on other forums for high mileage threads and you'll see that the inline 6 is bulletproof. There are lots of bimmers out there with 200-300k miles and still running strong.
adjmcloon is offline   United_States
      06-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Staszek
Schumacher

Drives: E38 740i, E93 M3

I HATE! Jd power reports.

They mean almost nothing. In the first ninety days you cannot tell how the long term reliability and quality of a car will be.

What this is is nit picking issues mostly. I will tell you Porsche is by no way the most reliable, it just had the least complaints.

Complaints in this type of report can be ANYTHING, I dont like the way the runflats sound, (that counts as a complaint).

I dont like the design of the cupholders, thats also a complaint.

It really annoys me that the news media reports these things and people (sheep) are like wow that car is at the top of some list I know nothing about I should buy one.

I am not saying that BMW should be at the top because it shouldnt, but the day the JD Powers intial quality report means ANYTHING, is the day hell freezes over.

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
      06-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
uabimmer
Україна

Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
You think BMWs are bad...Porsches were the worst back in the late 60s-80s...carbs were unreliable, the convertible 911s or the targas leaked, whistled, and didnt seal right, the engines were tempermental, expensive to maintain....

And yet people snapped them up faster than Porsche could make them.

Its all about the marque....if its the high end of fashion, or I look good driving it, then Im going to buy it..no matter how unreliable it is.

its true ,,, its true

uabimmer is offline   Ukraine
      06-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
uabimmer
Україна

Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post

I am not saying that BMW should be at the top because it shouldnt, but the day the JD Powers intial quality report means ANYTHING, is the day hell freezes over.

i really like that last part.... put a smile on my FACE

uabimmer is offline   Ukraine
      06-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
dbtheo
1addicts CA

Drives: 128i cpe

Garage List
2000 323i  [0.00]
agreed..

Quote:

They mean almost nothing. In the first ninety days you cannot tell how the long term reliability and quality of a car will be.

What this is is nit picking issues mostly. I will tell you Porsche is by no way the most reliable, it just had the least complaints.

Complaints in this type of report can be ANYTHING, I dont like the way the runflats sound, (that counts as a complaint).

I dont like the design of the cupholders, thats also a complaint.

It really annoys me that the news media reports these things and people (sheep) are like wow that car is at the top of some list I know nothing about I should buy one.

Read this statement again:

Owners are asked 228 questions on issues as varied as braking and handling to seat comfort and gas mileage. They reported improving quality in all areas except audio, entertainment and navigation systems.
      06-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #19
Staszek
Schumacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post

Owners are asked 228 questions on issues as varied as braking and handling to seat comfort and gas mileage. They reported improving quality in all areas except audio, entertainment and navigation systems.
Which is what I said, I pick questions out of the air, but again the complaints are all subjective.

How is seat comfort a quality issue. My seats are extremely comfortable but if a 300 pound man happens to sit in them he will have a different result i am sure.

Handling is also subjective I think my car handles fantastic without being to harsh, my gf thinks it rides really rough compared to her MB, again subjective.

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
      06-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
Staszek
Schumacher

Quote:

BTW Its great to see you on here dbtheo!!!

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
      06-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
dbtheo
1addicts CA

Drives: 128i cpe

Garage List
2000 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
BTW Its great to see you on here dbtheo!!!

Thanks! you too, how ya been? I havent been on e46fanatics in forever
      06-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
Staszek
Schumacher

Quote:
Thanks! you too, how ya been? I havent been on e46fanatics in forever
Great! Do you still have the e46?

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT