BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
JEFFJIANG
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AUSTRALIA

iTrader: (0)

hi guys..Question again

HI GUYS

This saturday i will going to the track with my M3..

Just want ask you guys on the track if i turn the MDM how it feel?? really dangerous? or not really and how about i push the fuel..i cant push it street away right?
What about i turn the DSC OFF...how i gonna control it..........
i konw the race track because i was went there with my GTR34 befor .but this time is rear wheel drive..what about the lines??big different to the 4WD??

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
532
Posts

 
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

I would get a feel for the car in MDM mode. You should be fine, as long as you use common sense and realize that it won't save you if you barrel into a corner at 100mph and rely on the car to save you. As you gradually apply power through a corner, MDM will let you "get out" a little bit but you can correct yourself prior to it totally neutering you.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
there's a thread by DJ9 i believe... let me search for it

here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145346
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146609

good luck, please do share ur experience
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
JEFFJIANG
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AUSTRALIA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guyes

i hope i will be fine.tury my best
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
DSC off or MDM? MDM u'll mostly likely live... DSC off i call dibs on ur M3
jkjk u'll be fine man
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Use MDM if this is the first time you are tracking this car. And take it to a wet skidpad or an empty parking lot in the rain to explore the traction limits and kick the tail out several times. If you get on the gas too fast out of a tight corner without MDM, you can lose it. MDM does not kick-in at the track as often as one would expect. You will certainly have fun with it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
JEFFJIANG
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AUSTRALIA

iTrader: (0)

dont make me afride man...:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
DSC off or MDM? MDM u'll mostly likely live... DSC off i call dibs on ur M3
jkjk u'll be fine man
dont make me afride man...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
94
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Use the MDM till you get used to the car & track.If you find it intervening quite a bit and you are feeling comfortable then you could turn it off totaly(no traction control).I run with it off 100% of the time on track and this car will not do anything diabolical without giving you lots of warning.The M3 is a very forgiving car on track and is a lot of fun.Just go have a good time and build your speed up slowly and you will enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFJIANG View Post
dont make me afride man...
lol the australian accent pops out when ur scurrred?

nah u'll be fine man
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
94
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Use MDM if this is the first time you are tracking this car. And take it to a wet skidpad or an empty parking lot in the rain to explore the traction limits and kick the tail out several times. If you get on the gas too fast out of a tight corner without MDM, you can lose it. MDM does not kick-in at the track as often as one would expect. You will certainly have fun with it.
When I tried the MDM at the track it was intervening all the time except on the straights.I think I might have used it for a couple of laps just to see what it would do,but it does take a lot of speed out of the car.If you get on the gas early you only worry about how long the slide will be,not spinning it.It is a very easy car to drive with a large drift angle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
When I tried the MDM at the track it was intervening all the time except on the straights.I think I might have used it for a couple of laps just to see what it would do,but it does take a lot of speed out of the car.If you get on the gas early you only worry about how long the slide will be,not spinning it.It is a very easy car to drive with a large drift angle.
Interesting. You must have been more aggresive than I was then. I did let my instructor drive it for a few laps to show me his line, and he didn't light it up too often either. I personally am not comfortable pushing the car to its limit yet.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
94
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Interesting. You must have been more aggresive than I was then. I did let my instructor drive it for a few laps to show me his line, and he didn't light it up too often either. I personally am not comfortable pushing the car to its limit yet.
It was also a track that was mostly 2nd & 3rd gear so sliding the car around a lot is very easy to do.I suspect that on a faster track like big Mosport,MDM on would be a lot less intrusive.The MDM is a welcome safety net for those that wish to use it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
DJ9
Captain
DJ9's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
It was also a track that was mostly 2nd & 3rd gear so sliding the car around a lot is very easy to do.I suspect that on a faster track like big Mosport,MDM on would be a lot less intrusive.The MDM is a welcome safety net for those that wish to use it.
As mentioned by many of you, I really do think MDM is the good setting for those who are intermediate or new to a particular track. IMO DSC ON should be used for those that are jumping on a track for the first time; at least until confidence/logged hours are built up.

I do think MDM will save your ass, but as some have stated, it still does shave speed off the car; especially when getting on the gas post turn in....it was kicking in still more than i would have preferred...but i still did appreciated it more than not; and did not have the balls just yet to go full DSC off.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that DSC in MDM tends to kick in at times in a contradicting fashion. What i mean by that is, MDM will let you throw the back out and break the rear lose to a point and under certain circumstances. However, I did encounter times when I was coming in very hot to a turn, would brake very late, or even trail brake(lol) while turning, and then gas hard during/post apex....DSC would come on......despite the back not sliding out, simply just changing dynamics quickly. I think this is attributed to the calculation settings of the DSC programming taking into account speed, braking, steering, etc etc, all at the same time.....the car probably thought i was trying to avoid an accident and starting cutting power

Anyhow, food for thought!
__________________
-Dave


2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded

Last edited by DJ9; 06-26-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST