BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
lebreeze
Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
595
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 m3 , 2014 991
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: windsor

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Bird poop

How do I stop bird poop from marking my paint? The bird poop was on my car for no longer than 3 hours. I've had my car detailed professionally and they were supposed to have put paint protection on my car. I just waxed my car a couple of days ago with meaglars tech wax also. You can only see the mark in a certain angle and you cant feel it. I not sure if the marks in the clearcoat. How do I get rid of it? or is it there for good? how do i protect against it happed again? other than killing all birds

jerez is so nice but hard to keep perfect
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
49
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
How do I stop bird poop from marking my paint? The bird poop was on my car for no longer than 3 hours. I've had my car detailed professionally and they were supposed to have put paint protection on my car. I just waxed my car a couple of days ago with meaglars tech wax also. You can only see the mark in a certain angle and you cant feel it. I not sure if the marks in the clearcoat. How do I get rid of it? or is it there for good? how do i protect against it happed again? other than killing all birds

jerez is so nice but hard to keep perfect
I am by no means an expert (translation...I don't know what I am talking about )

I would clay first...if this does not solve the problem...then use polishing compund...rubbing compound...I use a random orbit buffer...finish with Zaino

go here for good advice http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
lebreeze
Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
595
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 m3 , 2014 991
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: windsor

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I did use clay no help. I put the wax on by hand. I need to get polish and zaino to see if it helps. Is a orbital buffer hard to use? I scared to use one in fear of making it worst
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
49
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
Is a orbital buffer hard to use? I scared to use one in fear of making it worst
not the random buffers...

http://www.google.com/products?clien...num=1&ct=title
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
johnL
Second Lieutenant
johnL's Avatar
4
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Best way to keep bird droppings from etching into your clear coat is to keep a nice coat of sealant or wax on the paint. And never allow bird poop to sit on the car for too long, especially in the sun. This will help minimize etchings, although not eliminate them. At least it will make it easier to buff out later if ther are any etchings.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
lebreeze
Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
595
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 m3 , 2014 991
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: windsor

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
are bird poop etchings permanent?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
johnL
Second Lieutenant
johnL's Avatar
4
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

It think it depends how long you let it sit on the paint. If it gets past the clear coat, then you might have to do some serious wet sanding.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
SS32
Major
SS32's Avatar
57
Rep
1,431
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

I noticed the same type of thing when I debadged my car. At a certain angle under the right light, it looks like the glue from the badge etched the outline of the emblem on the trunk. I have clayed and clayed and it's still there. I guess it's just something we have to live with.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
it is a bummer, but unavoidable. the etchings shouldn't be permanent unless the turd sits on there for an extended period of time (i'd say no more than 48 hours)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
lebreeze
Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
595
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 m3 , 2014 991
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: windsor

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
thats the crazy thing about it. the turd was only on there for max 3 hours. I guess you just see them more on a black car. I guess I have to learn that my baby wont always be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
thats the crazy thing about it. the turd was only on there for max 3 hours. I guess you just see them more on a black car. I guess I have to learn that my baby wont always be perfect.
maybe it was some really nasty bird poop. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #12
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
Keto's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,583
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WHO DAT NATION

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Keep detail spray and a MF towel in the trunk to minimize poop exposure times.
__________________
2015 SO/SO MT M3 :: Exec : Lighting : Adaptive : HK : CF trim : Full leather : DAP : Black 19's : sunshade
Crystalline tint 40%/70% on windshield : M performance mirrors, spoiler, splitters, lip : RKP diffuser : Fully dechromed
Bavsound Stage 1 : V1 Savvy hardwired : Self-coded, will code locally for beer or food
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
inmotion
Lieutenant
inmotion's Avatar
6
Rep
528
Posts

 
Drives: where do I start?
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newport Coast, CA

iTrader: (0)

yeh, my wife has bird crap all over the SUV and some made permanent etch marks. My detailer was able to take most of it off by using a machine to buff. There was one on the windshield that just wouldn't go away.
__________________
E60 M5 Silverstone, Balloon White Gallardo Spider, Rosso Corsa F430, Audi CG Q7 Sportline, IS R8 before and DG R8 now, Basalt Black Carrera GT, SG M3 DCT, Orange GT3RS, IS CLK63 Black Series

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
11
Rep
1,044
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ok guys, I will give you all the information you can handle regarding etching.

Basically there are three way you can receive etching on your clear coat. The first is from bird droppings, second from acid rain, and lastly from hard water. I am sure you can put two and two together and see the trend of acidic properties. Because birds have pee and poop in one squeeze, this makes their fecal matter more acidic. Also depending on how close you are to the ocean or how far away you are located from "salt water" will tell you how acidic the elements are. Anyone located close to the ocean will have a greater chance of etching due to the higher acidic levels. With water, it depends more on your underground water tables. If you have well water, then you will have a higher calcium content and this will cause "water spots" that if not taken care of quickly can turn into etching. Acid ran is less likely to happen and I have yet to deal with any clear coats that have been eaten by acid rain therefore I would rule that out in my cases. So in conclusion if you live close to the ocean, have bad water, or have a high bird population; be more careful and keep your eyes peeled.

The best offense is a good defense. Keep your car sealed and waxed as much as possible. I would recommend a good seal every 3 months and a wax every month. It is also a good idea to keep some QD and a MF towel in your car, so if you get some bird droppings on your car, you can take it off quickly therefore lessing the chance of etching. Still you would like to wash your car as quickly as possible after you have contamination.

As far a etching goes, it needs to be machine buffed out. Etching is when your clear coat has been actually eaten away by acid, therefore leaving a haze and a little dimple in your clear. Clay will get some of the haze and contamination off, but to get the actual etching off you will need to buff it. With any etching as far as bird droppings, water spots, ect it is always a good idea to clay first. For example with water spots it is mostly caused by cal cum build up which under a microscope looks like little sand molecules. If the calcium has not been removed before buffing those little sand molecules will scratch the paint thus making the detailer have to take off more clear than needed. For some water spots and etching you can use a product like ScratchX that is abrasive and will take some of the crap off, but I buff everything. A great product that can be used while washing is CG Water Spot Remover and is designed to remove the cal cum build-up and other contaminates.

I can elaborate for hours, but knowledge is power and I want to let you guys know what causes it, and the best way to take care of it. If I had etching this is what I would do, or what I would make sure my detailer did to properly take care of the problem:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Buff
4. Seal
5. Wax

Hope you guys find this informative and helpful!

Thanks,
Jared
__________________
2006 E90 SG-Dinan Ram Air Intake-Dinan Throttle Body-Dinan Exhaust-19' Hyperblack CSL's-15/5 tint-Matte Black Grills-M3 Spoiler Lip-Amber Delete-Smoke Side Signals
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
johnL
Second Lieutenant
johnL's Avatar
4
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
maybe it was some really nasty bird poop. good luck!
The bird might have had some refried beans for dinner.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
AwesomeM3
Major
AwesomeM3's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,471
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, E70 X5, 1967 Corvette
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
2009 X5 48i M Sport  [5.00]
(SOLD) 2001 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
Ok guys, I will give you all the information you can handle regarding etching.

Basically there are three way you can receive etching on your clear coat. The first is from bird droppings, second from acid rain, and lastly from hard water. I am sure you can put two and two together and see the trend of acidic properties. Because birds have pee and poop in one squeeze, this makes their fecal matter more acidic. Also depending on how close you are to the ocean or how far away you are located from "salt water" will tell you how acidic the elements are. Anyone located close to the ocean will have a greater chance of etching due to the higher acidic levels. With water, it depends more on your underground water tables. If you have well water, then you will have a higher calcium content and this will cause "water spots" that if not taken care of quickly can turn into etching. Acid ran is less likely to happen and I have yet to deal with any clear coats that have been eaten by acid rain therefore I would rule that out in my cases. So in conclusion if you live close to the ocean, have bad water, or have a high bird population; be more careful and keep your eyes peeled.

The best offense is a good defense. Keep your car sealed and waxed as much as possible. I would recommend a good seal every 3 months and a wax every month. It is also a good idea to keep some QD and a MF towel in your car, so if you get some bird droppings on your car, you can take it off quickly therefore lessing the chance of etching. Still you would like to wash your car as quickly as possible after you have contamination.

As far a etching goes, it needs to be machine buffed out. Etching is when your clear coat has been actually eaten away by acid, therefore leaving a haze and a little dimple in your clear. Clay will get some of the haze and contamination off, but to get the actual etching off you will need to buff it. With any etching as far as bird droppings, water spots, ect it is always a good idea to clay first. For example with water spots it is mostly caused by cal cum build up which under a microscope looks like little sand molecules. If the calcium has not been removed before buffing those little sand molecules will scratch the paint thus making the detailer have to take off more clear than needed. For some water spots and etching you can use a product like ScratchX that is abrasive and will take some of the crap off, but I buff everything. A great product that can be used while washing is CG Water Spot Remover and is designed to remove the cal cum build-up and other contaminates.

I can elaborate for hours, but knowledge is power and I want to let you guys know what causes it, and the best way to take care of it. If I had etching this is what I would do, or what I would make sure my detailer did to properly take care of the problem:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Buff
4. Seal
5. Wax

Hope you guys find this informative and helpful!

Thanks,
Jared
Thanks for the helpful information!
__________________

2008 E92 M3 Coupe 6MT | 2009 E70 X5 xDrive 48i M Sport | 1967 Corvette Coupe
2001 E46 M3 - Sold | 1997 E36 M3 - Sold | BMW CCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
lebreeze
Lieutenant
Canada
11
Rep
595
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 m3 , 2014 991
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: windsor

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
thanks guys and yes i think the bird had radioactive shit
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #18
johnL
Second Lieutenant
johnL's Avatar
4
Rep
290
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
thanks guys and yes i think the bird had radioactive shit
LOL!!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST