BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Cleaning M steering wheel.

Should we just clean our M steering wheels the same way we would the seats? Cleaner then conditioner of our choice?
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Zed
Replicant
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Should we just clean our M steering wheels the same way we would the seats? Cleaner then conditioner of our choice?
I had always thought it was a no-no to use conditioner on the steering wheel, at least the parts you grip. Doing so has the risk of making it quite slippery I would guess. Love to hear different.
Zed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I had always thought it was a no-no to use conditioner on the steering wheel, at least the parts you grip. Doing so has the risk of making it quite slippery I would guess. Love to hear different.
This is what I thought too so that's why I posted. BUT, I just used some Z9 and Z10 on the arm rest and it didn't end up greasy or slippery. The leather just soaks up the conditioner. M leather isn't slippery, but it's buttery soft.
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Mack211
Lieutenant
 
Mack211's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

I always just use a damp rag and wipe it down.
__________________
2008 M3 Space Gray, Black, Syc Ant Wood Trim, DCT
2001 325ci Steel Gray - Sold
Mack211 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You have to condition it with a true leather conditioner. Some conditioners are just like dressing and will leave it super slick.

I use CG Leather Conditioner and it works great. Just put a small amount on a foam pad, put the pad in the palm of your hand, grip the steering wheel as normal, and work your way around. Let the conditioner soak in for a bit, then come back with a good MF towel and to the same thing (place in palm, grip steering wheel as normal, yadda, yadda yadda). You just want to get the excess off. It makes the wheel feel smooth, clean, and is not slick at all.
__________________
2006 E90 SG-Dinan Ram Air Intake-Dinan Throttle Body-Dinan Exhaust-19' Hyperblack CSL's-15/5 tint-Matte Black Grills-M3 Spoiler Lip-Amber Delete-Smoke Side Signals
L~R~G nor cal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
You have to condition it with a true leather conditioner. Some conditioners are just like dressing and will leave it super slick.

I use CG Leather Conditioner and it works great. Just put a small amount on a foam pad, put the pad in the palm of your hand, grip the steering wheel as normal, and work your way around. Let the conditioner soak in for a bit, then come back with a good MF towel and to the same thing (place in palm, grip steering wheel as normal, yadda, yadda yadda). You just want to get the excess off. It makes the wheel feel smooth, clean, and is not slick at all.
Awesome. That's what I wanted to know. I have Z9/10 and have CG on the way. I go with the one that smells better to me. Haha.
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
drvai
Major
 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Awesome. That's what I wanted to know. I have Z9/10 and have CG on the way. I go with the one that smells better to me. Haha.
The Z9/10 will work great on the steering wheel. Is important actually to clean it on a regular basis as the steering wheel get "exposed" to a lot of dirt, and after a while it may be hard to take it off. Its also an area subjected to a lot of wear (no shit! )
drvai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #8
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Awesome. That's what I wanted to know. I have Z9/10 and have CG on the way. I go with the one that smells better to me. Haha.
Be careful about what you chose. First you need to know that Zaino will smell better in the bottle, but it should. Zaino is designed to make their own smell or order in the car, so it will smell like the bottle.

On the other hand CG's leather conditioner does not smell so great in the bottle, but in my option it is much better than Zaino. You see, CG leather conditioner is designed to bring out the new, natural smell of your leather and not create a smell of its own.

So in conclusion use Zaino if you like the smell of the bottle and want you car to smell like that, or use CG if you want to achieve the new car smell. You just need to give CG leather conditioner a day or two to mix with the chemistry of your leather, so give it some time before you bash it. My car has 38,xxx and it still smells like new!

If you are looking for something above both, then go with Leather Master Trio. It is great stuff and the best stuff for leather, but it is expensive. You can find it on detailersdomain.com, so go check it out.

Everyone take care and enjoy good smelling leather in good health!

Jared
__________________
2006 E90 SG-Dinan Ram Air Intake-Dinan Throttle Body-Dinan Exhaust-19' Hyperblack CSL's-15/5 tint-Matte Black Grills-M3 Spoiler Lip-Amber Delete-Smoke Side Signals
L~R~G nor cal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
Be careful about what you chose. First you need to know that Zaino will smell better in the bottle, but it should. Zaino is designed to make their own smell or order in the car, so it will smell like the bottle.

On the other hand CG's leather conditioner does not smell so great in the bottle, but in my option it is much better than Zaino. You see, CG leather conditioner is designed to bring out the new, natural smell of your leather and not create a smell of its own.

So in conclusion use Zaino if you like the smell of the bottle and want you car to smell like that, or use CG if you want to achieve the new car smell. You just need to give CG leather conditioner a day or two to mix with the chemistry of your leather, so give it some time before you bash it. My car has 38,xxx and it still smells like new!

If you are looking for something above both, then go with Leather Master Trio. It is great stuff and the best stuff for leather, but it is expensive. You can find it on detailersdomain.com, so go check it out.

Everyone take care and enjoy good smelling leather in good health!

Jared
do you use CG on seats as well/shift boot and any leather in the car? how do u apply it on those? CG is chemicalguys right?

Last edited by !Xoible; 06-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #10
Takumi587
M3 Enthusiast
 
Takumi587's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3, 330Ci, 528i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 330Ci  [0.00]
2005 E46 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Takumi587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
do you use CG on seats as well/shift boot and any leather in the car? how do u apply it on those? CG is chemicalguys right?
CG is chemical guys and you do not need to condition the leather in the shift boot unless you are really anal about it. And yes CG is used on the seats as well. However, you must properly clean the area before applying the conditioner. Vacuum, leather cleanser etc...

As for steering wheel do not use a Mr. clean sponge!!! It destroys the leather!!! And a good thing to use would be just water first! water should work all the time with a tooth brush. If it is heavily soiled with dirt then mix it with a tiny bit of auto wash soap and then add some conditioner on afterwards.

Best regards,

Takumi
Takumi587 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i need you to tell me what i need to buy lol
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
gadget
Major
 
gadget's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (0)

I've not owned a ///M before. Does the tri-color stitching on the steering wheel get dirty with time and if so, how do you clean it to keep the colors vibrant?
gadget is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
quackman
Lieutenant
 
quackman's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 M3 6mt
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hempstead, NY

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to quackman
I use Meguiar's spray bottle leather cleaner/conditioner on all the cars I've had in the past. It works great-- leaves the leather looking clean, reduces/prevents wrinkling/cracks, and without an overly glossy shine.
__________________
2008 Sparkling Graphite e90 M3 6spd
quackman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
Mx3
M
 
Mx3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern CA

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Just use a soft cloth and warm water and wipe off and repeat.
Mx3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I've not owned a ///M before. Does the tri-color stitching on the steering wheel get dirty with time and if so, how do you clean it to keep the colors vibrant?
I was wondering the same thing. So the first time I cleaned/conditioned the wheel I went around the stitching ... screw that. The second time I just did the whole thing and it looks fine. Just make sure your coats are even and complete.
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #16
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,901
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
CG is chemical guys and you do not need to condition the leather in the shift boot unless you are really anal about it. And yes CG is used on the seats as well. However, you must properly clean the area before applying the conditioner. Vacuum, leather cleanser etc...

As for steering wheel do not use a Mr. clean sponge!!! It destroys the leather!!! And a good thing to use would be just water first! water should work all the time with a tooth brush. If it is heavily soiled with dirt then mix it with a tiny bit of auto wash soap and then add some conditioner on afterwards.

Best regards,

Takumi
Takumi im about to take delivery of my car and was wondering how many times a year should i clay/wax and condition the leather?
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
im buying CG's cleaner/conditioner combo, their cleaner as good as their conditioner?
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
MojorisinM3
Major
 
MojorisinM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

Bumpsy...
__________________
2011 E92 M3 Comp / MPE / DCT
MojorisinM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST