BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

OneEighty
View Poll Results: Do loyal Bushies share his intelligence?
Same 7 26.92%
Smarter 9 34.62%
Way dumber 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

05-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #45
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Bush is a moron. Bushies support him. Iraq is a mess and gas is > $4.
Would the price of gas be $4 a gallon if we had drilled ANWAR when Bush pushed hard for it? I think not. It was a lousy ass congress that rejected drilling in ANWAR. You can't blame Bush for that unless you claim that he could have pushed harder. It's the Nancy Peloci, Harry Reid, Chucky Schumer, Ted Kennedy, Jack Murtha, John McCain types that defeated u.s.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #46
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
You mean that free education that you get from the time you're 6 until you're 18? I agree public schools in many areas are shit, but you can't say it's expensive when it's free. And if it's expensive, then it isn't shit because it's a good private school.

Which is why people come from all over the world to get treated here? Which is why most pioneering surgeries are performed here? Yes it's more expensive here, but it's 2nd to none. I agree that it's turning into a business more than it should be these days, but patients are the ones to blame. Malpractice suits left and right for simple mistakes that were in no way negligent. Can't offer inexpensive care when your insurance premiums against lawsuits are through the roof.

(
First of all -- our 6-18 education is a joke. Try going to the European University after our High School (of course, there are a few private exceptions).
Now, our Universities are in general a joke too. THe advantage we get is the exposure to the practical education which is not available elsewhere, and (most of the time) job opportunities that lack abroad -- that is why many foreigners come this way...
As for the Healthcare -- it is FAR from great. Forget about the prices and non-regulated system -- I am talking and personally comparing it to Canada Healthcare and lets say Serbian Social Healthcare that I have had experiences with. WIth the equipment we have, we should be way ahead and we're not even on-par with the 3rd world country -- applying the knowledge and diagnosis. It is absolutely NOT true that people are pouring this way to get medical procedures done. I actually know of many instances where our insurances are sending people to India and Thailand to get the procedures done to save $$$. Your O'Riley propaganda is completely untrue. However, there are a few places in the USA that are world leaders (Cardio in Houston for example...). Try getting in immediately and paying for it...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #47
Major
Rep

Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Would the price of gas be $4 a gallon if we had drilled ANWAR when Bush pushed hard for it? I think not. It was a lousy ass congress that rejected drilling in ANWAR. You can't blame Bush for that unless you claim that he could have pushed harder. It's the Nancy Peloci, Harry Reid, Chucky Schumer, Ted Kennedy, Jack Murtha, John McCain types that defeated u.s.
ANWAR is maybe 7.7 billioin barrels. This is nothing compared to what is near Florida, but little george bush blocked drilling within 100 miles of Florida in 2002. Bush, not enviromentalists, has been the major obstruction to getting real oil delivered to real refineries.

And then consider Cheney's energy task force in 2001. Is Cheney or any of the participants in his secretive energy project unhappy with today’s oil prices?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #48
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
ANWAR is maybe 7.7 billioin barrels. This is nothing compared to what is near Florida, but little george bush blocked drilling within 100 miles of Florida in 2002. Bush, not enviromentalists, has been the major obstruction to getting real oil delivered to real refineries.

And then consider Cheney's energy task force in 2001. Is Cheney or any of the participants in his secretive energy project unhappy with today’s oil prices?
If Bush wacked drilling off the coast of Florida, then he sucks on that issue (hadn't heard it was his fault before). Show me where congress (including the Democrats) supported drilling within 100 miles of the Florida coast.

Does this excuse Congress from their opposition to drilling in ANWAR? I don't think so. Thank them for $4 per gallon gasoline... and whatever it comes to in the years ahead.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #49
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

I do not usually go in for on-line petition drives but Newt must think they can have an impact.

American Solutions: Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #50
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
If Bush wacked drilling off the coast of Florida, then he sucks on that issue (hadn't heard it was his fault before). Show me where congress (including the Democrats) supported drilling within 100 miles of the Florida coast.

Does this excuse Congress from their opposition to drilling in ANWAR? I don't think so. Thank them for $4 per gallon gasoline... and whatever it comes to in the years ahead.
Here is one article on the current administration's approach to drilling.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news-...02&ID=s1156519

As for congress, energy policy is not really their responsibility -- as Cheney made clear in 2002. However both parties appear to know no limits when it comes to pandering to Florida, so a pox on both houses, both parties PLUS little george.

But the biggest hypocrites are Rush & Company, who scream about ANWAR while ignoring the much greater quantity of oil that exists near Florida. Meanwhile Cuba has started to drill it.

And remember that ANWAR is far away and restricted to the available capacity of the pipeline. However increasing the flow through the Alaska Pipeline would increase money into the Alaska Permanent Fund, which is what all the ANWAR noise is really about. The Republicans wouldn’t care less about ANWAR if Alaska were a blue state (IMO).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #51
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As for congress, energy policy is not really their responsibility -- as Cheney made clear in 2002. However both parties appear to know no limits when it comes to pandering to Florida, so a pox on both houses, both parties PLUS little george.

But the biggest hypocrites are Rush & Company, who scream about ANWAR while ignoring the much greater quantity of oil that exists near Florida. Meanwhile Cuba has started to drill it.

And remember that ANWAR is far away and restricted to the available capacity of the pipeline. However increasing the flow through the Alaska Pipeline would increase money into the Alaska Permanent Fund, which is what all the ANWAR noise is really about. The Republicans wouldn’t care less about ANWAR if Alaska were a blue state (IMO).
The areas that are currently off limits to exploration are generally off limits by statute. The repeal or amending of the statutes is exclusively the responsibility of Congress. The President, no President, can unilaterally declare them open.

I may be wrong but I do not believe Rush has ever opposed drilling off the coast of Florida.

Where did you get the figures which show more oil off the coast of Florida than in Alaska?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #52
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
The areas that are currently off limits to exploration are generally off limits by statute. The repeal or amending of the statutes is exclusively the responsibility of Congress. The President, no President, can unilaterally declare them open.

I may be wrong but I do not believe Rush has ever opposed drilling off the coast of Florida.

Where did you get the figures which show more oil off the coast of Florida than in Alaska?

From May 30, 2002: "WASHINGTON -- With his brother, Gov. Jeb Bush, looking on, President Bush sealed a deal Wednesday to prevent further oil and gas drilling off the white sand beaches of the Florida Gulf Coast and in the cypress swamps near the Everglades."

"The unexpected announcement would require the federal government to repurchase $235 million worth of oil and gas leasing rights in the Destin Dome area, about 25 miles south of Pensacola, and in three wildlife areas including Big Cypress National Preserve."

"Jeb Bush acknowledged that the Oval Office announcement would boost his re-election campaign in Florida, the swing state in the 2000 presidential election and a tourism mecca where polls show 75 percent oppose offshore drilling."

The buy back of Destin Dome was rather profitable for the lease holders. Who would have expected that...

As for how much -- pick your estimates. But it appears that the Florida Straits alone equal ANWAR. And while we are not drilling, Cuba is. Or rather China is with Cuba's permission.

As for Rush, let me rephrase my comment. Rush & Company are hypocrites for foaming at the mouth about ANWAR while paying only token lip service to the issue of drilling off Florida. IMO of course, but then this is not news, it is entertainment. Just like Rush.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #53
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From May 30, 2002: "WASHINGTON -- With his brother, Gov. Jeb Bush, looking on, President Bush sealed a deal Wednesday to prevent further oil and gas drilling off the white sand beaches of the Florida Gulf Coast and in the cypress swamps near the Everglades."

"The unexpected announcement would require the federal government to repurchase $235 million worth of oil and gas leasing rights in the Destin Dome area, about 25 miles south of Pensacola, and in three wildlife areas including Big Cypress National Preserve."

"Jeb Bush acknowledged that the Oval Office announcement would boost his re-election campaign in Florida, the swing state in the 2000 presidential election and a tourism mecca where polls show 75 percent oppose offshore drilling."

The buy back of Destin Dome was rather profitable for the lease holders. Who would have expected that...

As for how much -- pick your estimates. But it appears that the Florida Straits alone equal ANWAR. And while we are not drilling, Cuba is. Or rather China is with Cuba's permission.

As for Rush, let me rephrase my comment. Rush & Company are hypocrites for foaming at the mouth about ANWAR while paying only token lip service to the issue of drilling off Florida. IMO of course, but then this is not news, it is entertainment. Just like Rush.
I read the article, what is your point? If the federal government did repurchase the leases, that required congressional action. The president cannot spend a dime that the Congress does not appropriate.

Again, where are the estimates that show more oil off Florida than Alaska?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #54
Major
Rep

Quote:
I read the article, what is your point? If the federal government did repurchase the leases, that required congressional action. The president cannot spend a dime that the Congress does not appropriate.

Again, where are the estimates that show more oil off Florida than Alaska?
What part of "But it appears that the Florida Straits alone equal ANWAR." is not clear? Feel free to google up the numbers to your hearts content. The Chinese know that it is there.

If you don't get the point, well so be it. There is no way that anyone is going to change your view of George W. Bush. Though I suspect that time will.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #55
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What part of "But it appears that the Florida Straits alone equal ANWAR." is not clear? Feel free to google up the numbers to your hearts content. The Chinese know that it is there.

If you don't get the point, well so be it. There is no way that anyone is going to change your view of George W. Bush. Though I suspect that time will.
I do not doubt that there is recoverable oil off the coast of Florida. You made the point that there is more there than in Alaska. The onus is on you to substantiate that. Another statement from you fails to do that.

The point you do not seem to appreciate is that Congress has as much, if not more responsibility in this area as the President.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #56
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
WOW, I cannot disagree more...
One suggestion for you -- take that HUGE tax break that Bush gave you and purchase a plane ticket to Asia and Europe. Spend there a month, not more needed -- talk to people.

Then come back and see if your mind will change.
Uh, Huge tax break "I" got? Everyone got a tax break. The majority of the break was for middle to lower income. THe uper 5% of the tax base in terms of income pays 80% of the taxes already. The liberal media doesn't mention this. Also, the US is #1 by more than double contributing to world hunger relief, as well as first in humanitarian aid. I don't see why we need to do more except to convince other nations to do what we do.
Quote:
It is very important to talk to people and understand other than material (so important to like-you) side of their lives...
What are you talking about? One post and I'm material based and don't talk to people. You don't know me. You are making wild assumptions which is pretty insulting not to mention shallow.
Quote:
National security -- not sure why is 7 years of no attack such a great deal. They did it, they showed the world, they did it on Bush's watch when he had the warnings he ignored...
Yes, they did it within a few months of Bush taking office. As a result, he changed things by going after them and killing them. They had attacked us multiple times every 2 years under Clinton blowing up our ships, embassies, etc., with no reprecussions. One time under Bush and then no more in 7 years.
Quote:
Our Education is SHIT + Expensive. Needs to be fixed.
Yes. This means fixing education, not throwing money at it. If you really want to fix it, privatize it. Private schools cost 60-70% less per student and have much higher grade returns. Unions, tenure, and public schools are the problem. Have the government hire companies to deliver education, give them bonuses on results based on grades from students on standardized tests, and watch us save tons of money for other needs and kids start learning.

The other education that sucks is College level. Prices for higher ed have gone up 8% per year while inflation goes up 3%. Why? Because they can. They get the money so they will charge the money. They aren't philanthropists, they are companies. They use the money to build gyms, spas, etc. There is no reason they can't raise prices in line with inflation but they still do because they can. Why can they? We keep giving them more tax money. Every time we give them more tax money, prices go up. How about instead of giving them more tax money, we pass a law caping their tuition increases to 0.5% more than inflation per year. This would immediately stop the bleeding and pork spending at univerisities and make school affordable again.
Quote:
Our medical, even super expensive is SHIT and is becoming more and more of a business rather than "care". I pwersonally have a few of examples to prove that...
It IS a business. It isn't care. Who told you different. As to cost, it depends on who you get your care from. Generally, its your employer. With mine, I pay $600 a year and $10 copays. That's it. Great care. If you don't like your healthcare, go work somewhere else. One of the reasons I switched companies. Because it is a business, companies have incentives to create and invent new treatments advancing medicine. If you socialize it, like Canada, France, etc. you will kill medical advancement. No new wonder drugs, next gen antibiotics, etc. There's a reason my friend who works and lives in Germany comes to the US to get all his medical and dental care. Their care sucks. For example, have a cavity? Pull the tooth and have a nice day. No root canals, no crowns, no implants, etc. Just a hole where your tooth was. Standard Dental care in a socialized health care system.
Quote:
As for the gas prices...I'd like to hold off the comment (pro or against Bush) and see what happens by 2010... 400% increase in 8 years, lets see if it'll continue that way. If not -- the answer is obvious, if yes -- the same... Someone did not understand it all... But at this time, it is too early to kiss Bush's ass. And just to remember -- Bush took over the country and economy that was OK, and is leaving a total ruins for the next one...
This economy statement is the most wrong one I've heard yet. The top of the market was 3/24/2000. Clinton was president for 8+ more months while the tech bubble burst.
Then it came back under Bush only to dump from 9/11. It is now back to Clinton levels and has hit records within the past year. This is the Dow. Most people however believe the "economy" is terrible for a couple reasons. House prices have dropped. This was a bubble like tech and it needed this correction like tech did. Gas prices are up. This is due to my original post. Food prices are up. This is mostly due to food being processed into fuel, driving up feed prices, etc. The market however is in the mid 12000s, which is very strong and will probably finish out the year strong. Most financial firms are saying it will. We also have had postive growth so far this year. People are saying recession. A recession is two quarters of negative growth. We haven't had one. We've had a slow down, but that's about it. That ain't shambles.
Quote:
And to the comment I underlined above -- "countries that do not like us"???
All I saw Bush hugging with their leaders over and over... Not sure what kind of love that is...
That is the customary greeting in those countries. It is like shaking a hand. That is what a world leader does. Do you think Obama or Hillary would go over there and slap them? He went to talk to them about barrell prices. He should have had assurances before he went they would budge. They didn't. Regardless, he is being forced to do this because the things we really should be doing like drilling or shale he is being prevented from doing by the Dem held House and Senate.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #57
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

Quote:
I do not doubt that there is recoverable oil off the coast of Florida. You made the point that there is more there than in Alaska. The onus is on you to substantiate that. Another statement from you fails to do that.

The point you do not seem to appreciate is that Congress has as much, if not more responsibility in this area as the President.
ANWR has oil reserves equal to the output of Saudi Arabia for the next 80 years. Florida Republicans have pushed for drilling. Dems have blocked it. Jeb wouldn't sign because of all the "extras" dumped on the bills by Dems. http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/25/St...ling_pla.shtml

Huge reserves in gulf. Estimated 15 billion barrels.
http://cbs4denver.com/business/oil.p....2.272287.html

Huger reserves in ANWR. Estimated 27.8 Billion barrels.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...e%20assessment
Appreciate 0