BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
djdorifto
Looking for that special M Coupe
djdorifto's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: Honda S2000
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl (ex-southern californian)

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to djdorifto
So is anyone going to track their car?

Of course not drag racing, but road racing. Anyone going to track it regularly or once or twice a year? When I get my M3 I'll probably track it a few times a year like my S2000. Hopefully it will last as my S
__________________
-Steven
Current - Honda S2000 (road racing warrior)
Future - BMW M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
skierman64
Brigadier General
skierman64's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,068
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
I fully plan on tracking my car. However, I will probably wait until it has over 5K miles on it to make sure it's fully broken in before doing so. I chose the 18" wheels so that they could be my track wheels. There are many more choices of track tires in 18" than in 19". Schedule permitting, I plan to hit the track 2-4 times a year.

What tracks do you go to out of Orlando? Sebring is the only FL road course that I'm aware of.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
man02195
Lieutenant
man02195's Avatar
9
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I fully plan on tracking my car. However, I will probably wait until it has over 5K miles on it to make sure it's fully broken in before doing so. I chose the 18" wheels so that they could be my track wheels. There are many more choices of track tires in 18" than in 19". Schedule permitting, I plan to hit the track 2-4 times a year.
Definitely tracking it a couple of times a year at VIR. I'll get some 18" wheels, r compound tires, and track pads and take it up there. Like skierman, i'll get +4K miles on it before hitting the track, probably in the fall.
__________________
E90 M3 Sedan | M-DCT | SG | Black Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Premium | Technology | Enhanced Sound | 19's | Moonroof | Fold Down | Heated | iPod | Parkdist | Sunshade |Week 22 | Just unloaded from Emden | Performance Center Delivery July 17th (Great Experience!)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Rovman
Private First Class
Rovman's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: 11' BMW M1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette,La.

iTrader: (0)

You bet I will!!!!
__________________
13' BMW M5 DCT
11' BMW 1M
10' Mercedes GL 350 Bluetec
04' Porsche 911 GT3 (Track car)
06' BMW HP2 Enduro (Multi Purpose bike)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Feffman
Banned
United_States
3
Rep
337
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gateway To The West

iTrader: (0)

Jsut got a call from a new owner in Virginia who's join us (www.MVPTrackTime.com) at Summit Point in May! Happy Motoring and I hope to see you at the track.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
djdorifto
Looking for that special M Coupe
djdorifto's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: Honda S2000
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl (ex-southern californian)

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to djdorifto
theres a track in Gainesville Raceway. Most people don't know about it, they think theres only a drag strip there. Behind the drag strip compound theres a really nice road course... No walls, lakes, ponds, just grass. Its awesome to push the car to the limits without the fear of breaking your car.

Our local car club here in Melbourne, Fl rent out the track for the day and charge 130 bucks for tons of track time, food, drinks, and tons of fun. The pic in my sig is me and my s2000 at the track
__________________
-Steven
Current - Honda S2000 (road racing warrior)
Future - BMW M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

FOR SURE! as soon as its broken in.

probably 10-12 track days per year plus 1 or 2 autocross days!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
SS32
Major
SS32's Avatar
57
Rep
1,431
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

I'm already signed up for a 2 day DE at VIR at the end of May.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
38
Rep
1,744
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I can't wait to track my sedan, the look on some Corvette drivers faces will be precious when they point-by a sedan with two child seats in the back. I curious about how laps times will fare against those in my track mod'd Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Hockenhiem short track - stock

41. BMW M3 (E92) 1:14.3 07 420 / 1619 sportauto
58. BMW M3 Sedan (E90) 1:15.2 07 420 / 1680 sportauto
66. Porsche Cayman S 1:15.5 05 295 / 1340 sportauto
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #11
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Autozeitung test track, Germany

how is your Cayman tuned?

10. BMW M3 Sedan (E90) 1:38.7 07 420 / 1680 Autozeitung
22. Porsche Cayman S 1:41.2 05 295 / 1340 Autozeitung
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
38
Rep
1,744
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
Autozeitung test track, Germany

how is your Cayman tuned?

10. BMW M3 Sedan (E90) 1:38.7 07 420 / 1680 Autozeitung
22. Porsche Cayman S 1:41.2 05 295 / 1340 Autozeitung
The car is lowered on KW V3 coilovers and Mantis camber plates, sways, CCW black C10 wheels with Nitto NT-01, track aligned and corner weighted, Milltek cat-back, Softronic flash (soon with their 80mm 997 plenum), stainless lines, Brembo 6 piston monoblocks in front with either PFC 01 or Pagid yellow pads, 996 GT3 bucket seats with Scroth harnesses with a harness bar (Heigo roll bar is next), GT3RS alcantara wheel and shifter, and Traqmate datalogger. Guard LSD should arrive in May.

I love tracking this car, but it has it's issues. Caymans blow smoke in tight left turns after deceleration due to oil ingestion. The brakes aren't what had hoped for and some are getting steering pump failures from overheating of the lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
short answer yes.

long detailed answer: yes pho sho
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
The car is lowered on KW V3 coilovers and Mantis camber plates, sways, CCW black C10 wheels with Nitto NT-01, track aligned and corner weighted, Milltek cat-back, Softronic flash (soon with their 80mm 997 plenum), stainless lines, Brembo 6 piston monoblocks in front with either PFC 01 or Pagid yellow pads, 996 GT3 bucket seats with Scroth harnesses with a harness bar (Heigo roll bar is next), GT3RS alcantara wheel and shifter, and Traqmate datalogger. Guard LSD should arrive in May.

I love tracking this car, but it has it's issues. Caymans blow smoke in tight left turns after deceleration due to oil ingestion. The brakes aren't what had hoped for and some are getting steering pump failures from overheating of the lines.

Slap some R-comp tires on that M3 and I think it'll keep up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
ase2dais's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
9,875
Posts

 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdorifto View Post
Of course not drag racing, but road racing. Anyone going to track it regularly or once or twice a year? When I get my M3 I'll probably track it a few times a year like my S2000. Hopefully it will last as my S
I'll probably do my favorite Springfield 95/495 Bypass on/off ramps for a starters, exit at Newington Costco Cloverleaf ramps a couple of times and back up north to 95/495 Springfield Bypass to Eisenhower exit and back again
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
icemang17
Captain
icemang17's Avatar
15
Rep
644
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

iTrader: (0)

Hell yes I'm gonna track mine!!!!!! Might have to invest in some new brake pads and rims-R compounds...... But it will see plenty of track time once its broken in....
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #17
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
Hell yes I'm gonna track mine!!!!!! Might have to invest in some new brake pads and rims-R compounds...... But it will see plenty of track time once its broken in....
\
do you run with BMW CCA?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
Mack211
Lieutenant
Mack211's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
495
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fort Collins, CO

iTrader: (0)

I will and have only done Auto-x but will also do 1 or 2 road tracks a year if possible.
__________________
2008 M3 Space Gray, Black, Syc Ant Wood Trim, DCT
2001 325ci Steel Gray - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #19
bmwprince4life
Captain
bmwprince4life's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
774
Posts

 
Drives: none
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: none

iTrader: (0)

yes soon
__________________
none
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #20
DJ9
Captain
DJ9's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
No Auto-x but track events I will...same as with my e46M.

I'm actually going next weekend to Laguna Seca (5.31). If any of you are up here on NorCal there is still room . Event is through Track Masters.
__________________
-Dave


2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #21
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
No Auto-x but track events I will...same as with my e46M.

I'm actually going next weekend to Laguna Seca (5.31). If any of you are up here on NorCal there is still room . Event is through Track Masters.
AX is great fun - its really the best way to learn the very limit (or over) of the car.




Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #22
DJ9
Captain
DJ9's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
AX is great fun - its really the best way to learn the very limit (or over) of the car.




To be honest, I'll give it a shot..never tried it, guess I always looked at my last M(e46) and this one as a bit too heavy for AX.
__________________
-Dave


2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST