BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #45
arabbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: G hills

Posts: 551
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Go buy one.
haha dude, im 18. i dont think i can spend that much on a car.

And is there a little resentment that i made a valid point?
arabbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #46
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabbmw View Post
haha dude, im 18. i dont think i can spend that much on a car.

And is there a little resentment that i made a valid point?

None at all.....go buy one.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #47
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
TB,

I don't doubt you passion or belief but I don't totally agree with them. Quattro doesn't eat power as much as you believe it does, I know I have raced similar powered BMWs to my S5 and there was nothing in it, right the way up to speeds not to be said out loud on the net.

If by your thinking an S5 couldn't match the top speed of an E46 M3 but I can also tell you that you are wrong on that as well. Power plus aerodynamics are the key to top end and if a similar powered awd car can more than match it's rwd rival then that proves the transmission is not having the effect you believe.

Can't see the video but if one is a 4motion version and the other fwd then their is no lose of power from the awd system as all VAG cars run a Haldex 2 setup that only moves power to the rear when grip is lost at the front, so after the start all the power will be going to the front wheels just like the other car.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #48
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
TB,

I don't doubt you passion or belief but I don't totally agree with them. Quattro doesn't eat power as much as you believe it does, I know I have raced similar powered BMWs to my S5 and there was nothing in it, right the way up to speeds not to be said out loud on the net.

If by your thinking an S5 couldn't match the top speed of an E46 M3 but I can also tell you that you are wrong on that as well. Power plus aerodynamics are the key to top end and if a similar powered awd car can more than match it's rwd rival then that proves the transmission is not having the effect you believe.

Can't see the video but if one is a 4motion version and the other fwd then their is no lose of power from the awd system as all VAG cars run a Haldex 2 setup that only moves power to the rear when grip is lost at the front, so after the start all the power will be going to the front wheels just like the other car.
The S5 and new A4 Quatto could be different. But the one in the R8 and RS6 eats power.

Case in point. The RS6 is no faster to 200 kph than an M5 touring with 80 extra hp! Where is it going? It is being eaten up by Quattro.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #49
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The S5 and new A4 Quatto could be different. But the one in the R8 and RS6 eats power.

Case in point. The RS6 is no faster to 200 kph than an M5 touring with 80 extra hp! Where is it going? It is being eaten up by Quattro.
I don't agree that the M5 Touring is as quick, at least in the reviews I have read. Sure there isn't that much in it but I think the opinion that it's being lost in the quattro system is wrong, some maybe but the same can be said for the automatic gearbox and then you have to consider that the RS6 weighs in at over 200Kgs more and is using only 6 gears instead of 7, all these factors have to be considered.

I don't know how efficient the R8's system is as it's totally different to the normal Quattro but the one in the RS6 is very efficient for an awd setup and much more so than the one in the GTR which doesn't seem the suffer from having one.

TB, I think on this point you opinions are wrong or should I say wide of the mark.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #50
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
 
antzcrashing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
impressive
__________________
antzcrashing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #51
dimisa1977
Major
 
dimisa1977's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Specialist (exhaust)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 1,141
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
What's the joke? The guy paying $350,000 for a slow car ??
murcie are for "special" people.
dimisa1977 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #52
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
TB,

I don't doubt you passion or belief but I don't totally agree with them. Quattro doesn't eat power as much as you believe it does, I know I have raced similar powered BMWs to my S5 and there was nothing in it, right the way up to speeds not to be said out loud on the net.

If by your thinking an S5 couldn't match the top speed of an E46 M3 but I can also tell you that you are wrong on that as well. Power plus aerodynamics are the key to top end and if a similar powered awd car can more than match it's rwd rival then that proves the transmission is not having the effect you believe.

Can't see the video but if one is a 4motion version and the other fwd then their is no lose of power from the awd system as all VAG cars run a Haldex 2 setup that only moves power to the rear when grip is lost at the front, so after the start all the power will be going to the front wheels just like the other car.

Actually data supports my hypothesis...... Why else would a 580 car be at the same performance as a car with 80 less?

Why would the R8 get beaten by a 911??

You don't want to believe it but the old versions of quattro suck power....

Do do you want to see RS4s getting beat by every car?

I have the new M5board DVD....the RS4 loses EVERY race (except against another RS4). What happens to the 420 hp? It gets absorbed by a primitive drivetrain.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #53
ksfrogman
Major General
 
ksfrogman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 6,751
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
...but the M6 pulls him around "180?" Those top speed races are not very practical in the real world. I wonder how they would have done from a dead stop.
__________________
ksfrogman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #54
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Actually data supports my hypothesis...... Why else would a 580 car be at the same performance as a car with 80 less?

Why would the R8 get beaten by a 911??

You don't want to believe it but the old versions of quattro suck power....

Do do you want to see RS4s getting beat by every car?

I have the new M5board DVD....the RS4 loses EVERY race (except against another RS4). What happens to the 420 hp? It gets absorbed by a primitive drivetrain.
TB,

There is no need for us to go at it hammer and tong for the next 30 posts to end up right where we are now, which is to agree to disagree.

I believe/know that it's not the case and you believe otherwise.

Best leave it at that.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #55
MontegoblueE92
Captain
 
MontegoblueE92's Avatar
 
Drives: It Like He Stole It
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: M-Town

Posts: 958
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
...but the M6 pulls him around "180?" Those top speed races are not very practical in the real world. I wonder how they would have done from a dead stop.
He didn't pass him at 180. They stopped racing at 180.
MontegoblueE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST