BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
CRS_M3
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 M3 - AW/CF Roof
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Question E92 M3 on the Track

Hi, I'm a newbie on this forum, just picked up my M3 2 weeks ago, and I really want to take this car onto the track on a regular basis. Does anyone have any information for me as in how to get started? I have only taken my other car (VW Golf GTI) on track a few times. I need some info on how to maintain the tyres and brakes.

Basically how to keep a road car for track use?

A friend told me that I would need to get a new set of race spec tyres to change for track use. Any suggestions as to which tyres are best suited to the M3? Do i change tyres or change a complete set of wheels?

Will the brakes last? for how long? Can i upgrade the brake pads?

I was hoping to do the minimum and yet be able to take it onto the track.

Thanx for helping me out.
__________________
M3
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
33
Rep
1,731
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I'd get race pads, if available, and hold off on R tires since PS2 are pretty good. I like Pagid yellows and PFC01 pads for the track only, they squeal horribly on the road.
The additional grip from R compound tires will tax your brakes even more. I'd also change out the fluid to Motul 600/660, which I prefer to Ate Superblue; Castol SRF is overkill.
The other thing I'd do is get an check the alignment and see if you can get some negative camber and reset the toe, caster. Not sure if this car likes to understeer as much as others.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
KASM3
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

I am curious of this as well. Just a few concerns about the above post. Will putting Racing Blue brake fluid cause any warranty issues?

I might be wrong but changing the camber might also cause a warranty problem. I would think IMHO,(having a few track days under the belt), we are novice to slightly experienced track drivers and especially in this beast. So I would hope stock camber would be more than enough.

PS2's have been tested since launch with this car I would hope they are sufficient for the task because any tire for this car is 300-400 a pop. You may just need a spare set that is dedicated to the track.

Also, does anyone have a DIY that they could post on changing the brakes on the e90/92 M3 for those of us who would consider track days and would need some racing pads?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
127
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

If you are a newbie you can run the car no problem in stock form. when you get better the first upgrade is trackpads. the next track tires. but if you run once or twice a year stock is just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
First of all get some lessons, preferably in your own car so to get a feel for how it reacts and if something unexpected does arise then you have an instructor there to help.

Secondly I would stick to stock tyres for now, these are far more predictable than race tyres, grip levels are lower and so is the speed when they do start to relinquish their grip. Remember more speed means less time to react.

Thirdly, if you enjoyed taking your car on the track then I would seriously think about pads, not only will they last longer but your braking distances will improve and few things keep you out of dangerous situations better than brakes.

P.S.
Good luck and I hope you are still smiling after the half a dozen goes and please keep a cool head, something that's hard when others keep passing you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
euro
Grand Am Timing Official
United_States
2
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E53 X5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
If you are a newbie you can run the car no problem in stock form. when you get better the first upgrade is trackpads. the next track tires. but if you run once or twice a year stock is just fine.
+1

since you don't already know the answers to these questions... stock is more than enough
__________________
08 E92 M3 AW with everything except DCT and sunroof
Full race Gintani with HFC's
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
CRS_M3
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 M3 - AW/CF Roof
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanx for giving me some very useful info, I think i will take the advice of keeping the car stock and if I progress abit further then start with the brakes.

I was more worried about the tyres wearing too quickly to go back on normal roads.

A little concerned about the fact that other ppl will be passing me and prob trying to race me as they see me in an M3, hope I can keep a cool head and go about my own pace.

Thanx everyone.
__________________
M3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
tszene
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
181
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

I just got back from two days of track with my e92 M3. The course was relatively fast, in the back straight you reached top speed of 140mls/h, after which you had a bus stop at 60 mls/h. The brakes didn't last. I experienced brake fade by the end of the first session. And by the 6th session, the brakes warped. So before you go on the track, look into getting different pads, or even upgrade to a set of dinan brakes and that will not void your warranty. However, dinan doesn't have brakes for the m3 yet, but ask if the brakes ment for the 335i fit. As far as the suspension, if you're a novice you dont necessarily need any adjustments just yet, the car handles amazing.
Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
euro
Grand Am Timing Official
United_States
2
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E53 X5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Winchester, VA

iTrader: (0)

as far as I know all you need are the track pads from the dealer.
__________________
08 E92 M3 AW with everything except DCT and sunroof
Full race Gintani with HFC's
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
33
Rep
1,731
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post
I just got back from two days of track with my e92 M3. The course was relatively fast, in the back straight you reached top speed of 140mls/h, after which you had a bus stop at 60 mls/h. The brakes didn't last. I experienced brake fade by the end of the first session. And by the 6th session, the brakes warped. So before you go on the track, look into getting different pads, or even upgrade to a set of dinan brakes and that will not void your warranty. However, dinan doesn't have brakes for the m3 yet, but ask if the brakes ment for the 335i fit. As far as the suspension, if you're a novice you dont necessarily need any adjustments just yet, the car handles amazing.
Have fun!
Even great street brakes fade at the track. I've replaced my Cayman S stock brakes with track pads and then just replaced the entire front end with a Brembo BBK, much improved.
Likely the street pads just got overheated and transferred material to the rotors, I've done this before. Get a set of track pads which will be more abrasive and go for a spirited drive, but don't overstress them. You'll likely start to see darker spotting on the rotor which will slowly go away along with the pulsing. It's nearly impossible to warp large two-piece rotors.
Street pads just don't work on the track, unless your just tooling around.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
127
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

yup - if deposits it will go away. if warped it will not, unless you lathe the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #12
aggie57
First Lieutenant
aggie57's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_M3 View Post
Thanx for giving me some very useful info, I think i will take the advice of keeping the car stock and if I progress abit further then start with the brakes.

I was more worried about the tyres wearing too quickly to go back on normal roads.

A little concerned about the fact that other ppl will be passing me and prob trying to race me as they see me in an M3, hope I can keep a cool head and go about my own pace.

Thanx everyone.
Hi - where do you live? I ask as the track you go to will have a large bearing on what you should do. I've done a lot of track work over the last 25 years in road cars and generally so long as you keep the car in good condition, particularly the brake fluid fresh and some decent pads you're OK for at least a while.

In terms of tyres, I'd suggest it's not a matter of whether the standard tyres are good enough but more a matter of cost. Road tyres as fitted to the M3 are excellent but road tyres are not designed for serious track work whereas a Dunlop R or similar is and will both last longer (i.e. be cheaper) and be more predictable as it wears. Also, you're not left with having to drive on the road on some knocked about tyres - especially relevant as we head into winter. Remember the first part of a tyre to wear on the track is the shoulder of the tread - just the bit you need to be in good condition in the wet.

Finally, as suggested above start by taking some professional training. As I'm sure you've found already your M3 is quick - deceivingly so - and there are plenty of video's on YouTube of people who found out the hard way what that can mean.

Last edited by aggie57; 05-01-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
CRS_M3
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E92 M3 - AW/CF Roof
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie57 View Post
Hi - where do you live? I ask as the track you go to will have a large bearing on what you should do. I've done a lot of track work over the last 25 years in road cars and generally so long as you keep the car in good condition, particularly the brake fluid fresh and some decent pads you're OK for at least a while.

In terms of tyres, I'd suggest it's not a matter of whether the standard tyres are good enough but more a matter of cost. Road tyres as fitted to the M3 are excellent but road tyres are not designed for serious track work whereas a Dunlop R or similar is and will both last longer (i.e. be cheaper) and be more predictable as it wears. Also, you're not left with having to drive on the road on some knocked about tyres - especially relevant as we head into winter. Remember the first part of a tyre to wear on the track is the shoulder of the tread - just the bit you need to be in good condition in the wet.

Finally, as suggested above start by taking some professional training. As I'm sure you've found already your M3 is quick - deceivingly so - and there are plenty of video's on YouTube of people who found out the hard way what that can mean.
I live in sydney, and I am looking to take the car onto Eastern Creek.

I was worried about the tyres wearing down, even after a full day at the tracks, which I have done with my other car,Golf GTI. After 1 day the treads and shoulders were pretty worn down.

Do you have any suggestions as to which tyres are suitable for the M3 for track use? I had the 19Inch rims optioned. Semi-Race tyres that can be used on road and track (legally)? Would you change the tyres alone, or get a new set of wheels altogether?

Also, do the dealers in sydney have the the race brake pads available for the M3? I would prefer not to void any warranties at this time.

Also, I will be getting lessons to go onto the track, I know how dangerous and upsetting it might get even with a small mishap at high speeds. Any reccomendations as to schools or private lessons? BMW Advanced training only happens once a year in sydney, so hard to get to.
__________________
M3
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
127
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

If you can get the Dunlop SSR's down under they are great for the $$$. too bad we cant get them here anymore in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #15
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
hakaida442's Avatar
3
Rep
371
Posts

 
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

Get track pads and upgrade to ss brake lines and make sure you're running good fluid like motul at a minimum. If you go to the track a few times a month like me, you're going to want to get a bbk and a couple extra sets of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
aggie57
First Lieutenant
aggie57's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_M3 View Post
I live in sydney, and I am looking to take the car onto Eastern Creek.
My experience at Eastern Creek is fairly limited sorry - I live in Melbourne so most of my experience is at Phillip Island, Winton and to a lesser extent Sandown and Calder. I did a couple of 6-hr relays at EC in the 90's and what I recall is a rather technical circuit with two particularly heavy braking spots, being turn 2 (obvious) and the right hander behind the tower (turn 9?). I did write off a GTV6 there in '96 but that's another story!

If you've got the space to store them and plan to do a number of days as you say I'd definitely go for wheels and tyres. Swapping tyres around on rims is painful at best. Too much stuffing about going backwards and forwards to tyre shops during business hours etc.

Assuming that is what you do you can either buy some aftermarket wheels for the road and use the factory ones for the track (common) or buy some for the track and keep using the ones you have for the road. That's a personal preference but whichever way you go think about what you plan to do with brakes down the track and what sizes of track tyres you can get.

In terms of which tyre, sorry but I'm not the best person to say. If it was me I'd be heading to Stuckeys or their equivalent in NSW and basicly take what they advise to get started. At the very least look at their website (www.stuckey.com.au) for some good tips.

Sorry that does not answer alll your questions but hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST