BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
22

 
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

iPod question

Will leaving my iPod hooked up all the time drain the battery when the car is off?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
10

 
Deathboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cayman S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Locals only...


Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

I dont think so. I leave mine hooked up all the time and i havent had any problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
White08M3
Captain
United_States
83

 
White08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island,NY/ Miami Beach


Posts: 789
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to White08M3
no when you shut off the car the ipod doesnt affect the battery at all. once you turn it back on it begins charging the ipod battery again..
__________________


E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
63

 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland


Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

As DesCartes said "iPod, therefore I am". So go ahead and leave it hooked up.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
LittleRocket
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
LittleRocket's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SO CAL


Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

No actually on all bmws there is power when the enginge is turned off. Your IPOD is still getting charged when the car is turned off. It can drain the battery. Cell phone chargers also work when the car is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
63

 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland


Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRocket View Post
No actually on all bmws there is power when the enginge is turned off. Your IPOD is still getting charged when the car is turned off. It can drain the battery. Cell phone chargers also work when the car is turned off.
Umm, not really. The lighter sockets are not powered when the car is off. Chargers won't work off the lighter socket when car is off. If the iPod or cellphone is plugged into the lighter it's OK. Leave it.

If you have the option, the iPod, or other USB audio device, can be plugged into the USB port for power. I do not believe this to be the case but the USB socket might be powered while the ignition is off. Plug the iPod in with the engine and ignition off and look at the battery symbol in the upper right of the iPod display. If says that it is charging then the USB port is powered when the car is off and then you should not leave the iPod in. Otherwise, it's OK. Leave it.

For general audio devices plugged into the audio port only, there is no power either way then it's is OK. Leave it.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
dangoma
Your Mom
United_States
10

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Danville, CA


Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Can we say stupid post.

Plug the damn thing in and turn off the car. If it charges it does if it doesn't then it does not.

Simple enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
SS32
Major
98

 
SS32's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC


Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

And even if it was dead and you left it charging, it won't drain the battery. I promise your battery is stronger than an iPod battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
99

 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa


Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoma View Post
Can we say stupid post.

Plug the damn thing in and turn off the car. If it charges it does if it doesn't then it does not.

Simple enough.
i gotta stick up for the OP a bit here. i don't think he was worried so much about it charging the iPod but whether it could potentially drain the battery. you are right that your method will give that answer, but i think that the question was legit.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
630

 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany


Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
i gotta stick up for the OP a bit here. i don't think he was worried so much about it charging the iPod but whether it could potentially drain the battery. you are right that your method will give that answer, but i think that the question was legit.
+1

BTW: No more climbing? Must have missed that...


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
22

 
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

hey dangoma,

I forgive your misguided comment as I am sure in person you would not be so stupid and rude. Do you think you are helping anyone here?

Back to the question- by the way I have read every page of all the manuals.
I want to just hook up a spare iPod to the car and just leave it there for good.
If I plug the device only in the USB cable (key not in ignition, no CA), the iPod Does POWER up. Just plugging in the round jack does nothing.

Therefore am I ok if I leave the round jack in permanently and just use the USB cable when I want to listen to the iPod?

And yes it is the car battery I am concerned about!!

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
dangoma
Your Mom
United_States
10

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Danville, CA


Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
hey dangoma,

I forgive your misguided comment as I am sure in person you would not be so stupid and rude. Do you think you are helping anyone here?

Back to the question- by the way I have read every page of all the manuals.
I want to just hook up a spare iPod to the car and just leave it there for good.
If I plug the device only in the USB cable (key not in ignition, no CA), the iPod Does POWER up. Just plugging in the round jack does nothing.

Therefore am I ok if I leave the round jack in permanently and just use the USB cable when I want to listen to the iPod?

And yes it is the car battery I am concerned about!!

Thoughts?

You right im not rude, just annoyed with people asking questions that make no sense, given you can try this on your own.
As for stupid, I really am not going to get in an argument with you on that, since clearly you must be.
Someone a few posts up ALREADY answered this question.
READ!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
22

 
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

I tried to be politically correct, now I just need to be blunt dangoma: You are a f---ing a--hole with obviously no life. Please leave this thread alone.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
TheBry
Captain
United_States
17

 
TheBry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 740Li (F02) Loaded!
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco, California


Posts: 760
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRocket View Post
No actually on all bmws there is power when the enginge is turned off. Your IPOD is still getting charged when the car is turned off. It can drain the battery. Cell phone chargers also work when the car is turned off.
WRONG. When you turn off your car, power continues to flow to the iPod until you exit and lock the car. Once locked, power flowing to the iPod is cut. When the iPod senses the loss of power, it considers it an "unplug" event and the device goes into "Pause" mode. After spending a couple of minutes in "Pause" mode, depending on your preferences, the iPod will go into "Sleep" mode, preserving your charge.

So... the iPod neither drains the BMW battery, nor does the BMW drain the iPod battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
22

 
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

thanks! So therefore I can leave both the USB plug and round plug in all the time?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
drvai
Major
United_States
117

 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL


Posts: 1,264
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
WRONG. When you turn off your car, power continues to flow to the iPod until you exit and lock the car. Once locked, power flowing to the iPod is cut. When the iPod senses the loss of power, it considers it an "unplug" event and the device goes into "Pause" mode. After spending a couple of minutes in "Pause" mode, depending on your preferences, the iPod will go into "Sleep" mode, preserving your charge.

So... the iPod neither drains the BMW battery, nor does the BMW drain the iPod battery.
So the only problem would be "missing" some seconds on the song as there is a gap between you turn the car off (and shutdown the radio) and locking the car.

I guess this is another plus for the "flash drive way".

PS: I'm asking as I still don't have my car, so I don't have anywhere to test my "theory".
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #17
jm1234
Lieutenant
15

 
jm1234's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA


Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
And even if it was dead and you left it charging, it won't drain the battery. I promise your battery is stronger than an iPod battery.
A car battery would blow up an iPod battery, but if the iPod screen stays lit then it could drain the car battery just like any other light.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #18
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
34

 
Davinhci's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX


Posts: 2,474
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I would just leave it plugged in if it's your daily driver and just unplug it to be safe if you are ever away from your car for an extended period of time.
__________________

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
22

 
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia


Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys,

I have her all hooked up. I didnt see anything in any manual or online that you cant just leave it hooked up

Dan
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST