BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

ESS Tuning

04-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
pawarrant
SECDEF
United_States

Drives: 2013 Melbourne Red 328xi Sport

Garage List
2013 328xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to pawarrant
Does your vehicle say you are Republican or Democrat?

Quote:
You know better than to discuss politics with coworkers or people you just met, right? So if you want to figure out how someone is likely to vote this November, you may try guessing based on their clothes (Brooks Brothers versus Birkenstocks), hair (high and tight vs. Hillary's Helmet) or Starbuck's order (black coffee vs. fair-trade low fat mocha soy latte). As it turns out, what they drive could also hint at their political leanings.

An unscientific survey shows some distinct trends related to the types of cars voters drive. The informal survey, conducted on the U.S. News' automotive site in February 2008, garnered over 500 responses. Respondents identified as 45 percent Democrat and 42 percent Republican, with 13 percent identifying as unaffiliated or Independent. Here's what we found:

The Body-Style Politic
No matter the political stripe, the survey shows that sedans and coupes are far and away the most popular type of car in both parties. Half of Democrats drive them, along with over one-third of Republicans. The two groups differ on pickup trucks, which have become the de facto automotive symbol of red states: In the survey, 15 percent of Republicans drive them, compared with just over 3 percent of Democrats.

If there's a hatchback in front of you, odds are there's a Democrat behind the wheel. Among respondents, Democrats were 4 times more likely than Republicans to say they drive a hatchback. In politics, it's not just Elephant against Donkey -- it's F-150 against Honda Fit.

All in all, voters from both parties are more similar than different in the style of car they drive. Minivans, for example, appear to be equally loved (or hated).

Domestic and Foreign Policy
It may not surprise you that the survey found import cars to be a more popular choice among Democrats than Republicans, with 71% of Dems claiming to drive one. But another piece of data may be a surprise -- imports outnumbered domestics even among the Republicans, where about 57% claimed to drive one. In the survey, Republicans endorsed Ford and GM cars by almost a two-to-one margin compared with Democrats, who preferred Hondas and Toyotas. Chrysler (including its Dodge and Jeep brands) appeared to be common ground, where voters on either side of the aisle were equally likely to own one.

Going upmarket, however, voters in the survey again start to differ: More Democrats chose Acura, while Republicans preferred Lexus. Republicans were also slightly more likely than Democrats to drive German cars. Within the German brands, Republicans reported being partial to BMW and Porsche, while Democrats were more likely to choose Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen.

The survey may be unscientific, but it does give you something to think about. Next time you want to know someone's political affiliation, don't go looking for a bumper sticker--check out the bumper itself instead.

From AOL
Works for me.
Retired: 2003 325xi Steel Grey Metallic/Black Leather Wood Trim

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States

Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

well, i have a BMW and a MB so what does that make me?

green party? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
Works for me.
The survey may be unscientific...

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Neurorad
Major

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Amusing.

Labelling someone based on appearances.

From the article, it seems that pickup truck ownership and domestic cars are the only 'good' indicators, indicating the Dems are more intelligent.

J/K, I'm not Democrat or Republican.

BTW, who reads AOL?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 08 335i Vert

I traded my Lexus in for my BMW. Does that make me indpendant or confused?
      04-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

Drives: 2006 325i mt

Why are Americans either Democrat or Republican? If someone is already predisposed to vote for either party, doesn't that undermine true democracy since you really have no choice? I don't tend to hear my American business associates say things like "I am voting Democrat." They'll say that they are a Democrat or Republican. I guess that's why a monkey is President.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Couch
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Why are Americans either Democrat or Republican? If someone is already predisposed to vote for either party, doesn't that undermine true democracy since you really have no choice? I don't tend to hear my American business associates say things like "I am voting Democrat." They'll say that they are a Democrat or Republican. I guess that's why a monkey is President.
I figured that out a long time ago...well after I was able to vote for the first time. I was 19, when 2000 election went on. After that I really put thought into why I felt I was one or the other.

I am a conservative person by nature. But now consider myself an Independent in terms of politics. And, IMO, none of the candidates are worthy of holding the office of President. Not that our current one is either...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
... I am a conservative person by nature. But now consider myself an Independent in terms of politics. And, IMO, none of the candidates are worthy of holding the office of President. Not that our current one is either...
What qualities do you believe make someone "worthy of holding the office?"

Which past presidents had them?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post

Give it up. Everyone but you (and First Class) agrees that Bush sucks.

Stop watching Fox, and think for yourself. Open your eyes, look past the propaganda (yes, Fox is propaganda, financed by Murdoch).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Stop watching Fox, and think for yourself. Open your eyes, look past the propaganda (yes, Fox is propaganda, financed by Murdoch).
Let me see if I follow you. I do NOT go along with the crowd and repeat inane insults about the president but I am the one who can't think for himself? I would suggest you examine your own beliefs and the source of those beliefs.

If you could, perhaps make something resembling an argument I would be happy to respond.

I am curious, are you referring to Rupert Murdoch who has contributed to Hillary Clinton's campaign or his daughter who held a fund raiser for Obama?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:

You forgot that ganeil is a programmed servant that cannot objectively form his own opinion, but only what he's told, and FirstClass is a 20-year olf rich kid that loves his parent's money and has no clue/does not care what will happen in the future to him or his kids...

Other than that, they are great at copy/pasting some delusional links...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #12
!Xoible
Banned
United_States

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
fuck that. if bmw = republican fuck BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #13
Ascension
Major
United_States

Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Ascension
When I drive the Porsche, I'm a Republican. When I drive the BMW, I'm a Democrat
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
When I drive the Porsche, I'm a Republican. When I drive the BMW, I'm a Democrat
Not according to the article...you're pure
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #15
Couch
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:

I'm still trying to figure that out. I would just really like a politician that would be honest and not feed us bullshit.

I'm just now starting to pay attention to politics again. I've spent the last two years paying little attention to what's been going on. Other than watching the news and whatnot. It just puts me in a bad mood the way our countries headed.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but I'm at a time in my life where I'm really questioning everything I believe and how I truly feel about different topics.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I'm still trying to figure that out. I would just really like a politician that would be honest and not feed us bullshit.

I'm just now starting to pay attention to politics again. I've spent the last two years paying little attention to what's been going on. Other than watching the news and whatnot. It just puts me in a bad mood the way our countries headed.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but I'm at a time in my life where I'm really questioning everything I believe and how I truly feel about different topics.
Politics is about winning elections and it is a rare politician that will risk losing an election for what he believes is the truth.

No candidate is perfect and they all say things which they believe the voters want to hear. (John McCain speaking against ethanol in Iowa is a rare exception) You need to decide what issues are most important to you and which of the candidates will deal with those issues in a way that you believe makes sense based on their history and what they are saying on the campaign trail.

We live in a great age today where there is an abundance of information at our finger tips. Take the time to read up on the issues that concern you. There are any number of think tanks that publish their products on the internet. These think tanks run the ideological spectrum from the Brookings Institute to the Heritage Foundation. Read what each has to say about the issue. See whose policy prescriptions make more sense to you based on your own experiences. Determine which candidate is being advised by whom.

I would also take a look at the main stream political journals out there. The New Republic, The Nation, National Review, Commentary all have great writers and scholars who contribute articles. The blogs for each of these journals are also a great source for opposing arguments to what may be in the competing magazines.

I applaud your desire to learn about what is going on before you make your decision. Get beyond the headlines and you will at least have made an informed decision.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States

^
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 08 335i Vert

Quote:
Politics is about winning elections and it is a rare politician that will risk losing an election for what he believes is the truth.

No candidate is perfect and they all say things which they believe the voters want to hear. (John McCain speaking against ethanol in Iowa is a rare exception) You need to decide what issues are most important to you and which of the candidates will deal with those issues in a way that you believe makes sense based on their history and what they are saying on the campaign trail.

We live in a great age today where there is an abundance of information at our finger tips. Take the time to read up on the issues that concern you. There are any number of think tanks that publish their products on the internet. These think tanks run the ideological spectrum from the Brookings Institute to the Heritage Foundation. Read what each has to say about the issue. See whose policy prescriptions make more sense to you based on your own experiences. Determine which candidate is being advised by whom.

I would also take a look at the main stream political journals out there. The New Republic, The Nation, National Review, Commentary all have great writers and scholars who contribute articles. The blogs for each of these journals are also a great source for opposing arguments to what may be in the competing magazines.

I applaud your desire to learn about what is going on before you make your decision. Get beyond the headlines and you will at least have made an informed decision.
+1 Well said!
      04-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
Neurorad
Major

Quote:

+1, good points, articulate.

However, if YOU do those things, being such an independent thinker, why would you still support Bush?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
Let me see if I follow you. I do NOT go along with the crowd and repeat inane insults about the president but I am the one who can't think for himself? I would suggest you examine your own beliefs and the source of those beliefs.

If you could, perhaps make something resembling an argument I would be happy to respond.

I am curious, are you referring to Rupert Murdoch who has contributed to Hillary Clinton's campaign or his daughter who held a fund raiser for Obama?

Murdoch knows when to evacuate a sinking ship, and how to hedge his bets.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #21
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
+1, good points, articulate.

However, if YOU do those things, being such an independent thinker, why would you still support Bush?
Thank you.

I support President Bush when I believe he is right and oppose him when I believe he is wrong.

Isn't that what an independent think would do?

It is a mindless opposition regardless of merit that is all too evident here.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #22
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States

^ I'm sure you would support president Al Gore if he had been president for last 7 years with same results as Bush...

Edit: A quick review of your posts reflects your total support for GOP and Bush admin.

Last edited by e90im; 04-10-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Appreciate 0