BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
xxruffdmxx
Private
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ny/nj

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to xxruffdmxx
I am so angry !!!!

I went down to my dealership to discuss the details of my deal. I go directly to the sales manager and start a conversation with him. He tells me the car is gonna be here in a week and a half, being very nice to me. So I ask him what am I looking to pay for the car if I lease it. (10,000/year for 36 months, MSRP 70, 175 including gas guzler tax). He tells me it looks like 1295 per month. I tell him that that number is too high. He tells me that that is the number and he cannot move down. I tell him that this number is inconsistent with the fair market value. As the conversation is progressing, I find out that this guy is using the .00310 money factor. So i tell him isn't the money factor .00258. He says yes, but I can't give that to you. So I ask him why not? He tells me because he needs to make money. I tell him he makes money selling the car at msrp and on all the options. At this point this guy is being very rude, his tone of voice changed completely and he's angry at me simply because I know what I am talking about. We got to leasecompare.com where he sees the car at 1189/month with a .00217 money factor and 12,000/year (my car at 10,000/year). After seeing that price, I can see him boiling and he's even more angry. Accusing me of changing the deal. So i tell him we did not have a deal and I am simply negotiating. He goes to his computer and once again in a rude tone tell's me that the best he can do is 1235/month with zero down, with tax in the payment. I ask him what changed since you quoted me at 1295/month to now at 1235/month. No response. So I tell him that I am willing to pay 1210/month and that his mark up on the money factor was unethical. At which point he tells me to calm down. I tell him that I am calm and not to be mad because I know what I am talking about. I told him that i will take the deal at 1210/month and he is being stern about the 1235/month deal.
Anyway, I came out of there so angry. The audacity of the guy to be rude because I told him that he is being unethical.
I am reconsidering getting my long awaited M3. This guy (he does not deserve to be mentioned by name on this forum) is such a jerk, that I am about to drop the deal.
What do you guys think of the deal. I can afford the 1235/month, but I feel like the car should not be this much and that he is fucking me. Any other recommendations are welcome.
xxruffdmxx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
geoff2010
Autobot Support Team
 
geoff2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Dinan S3 550 xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boulder, CO

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

why not do the deal through leasecompare? He will have no choice in the matter... you will simply be buying the car outright instead of leasing through BMWFS. Have your cake and eat it too...
geoff2010 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Deathboy
Lieutenant
 
Deathboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cayman S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Locals only...

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2010 View Post
why not do the deal through leasecompare? He will have no choice in the matter... you will simply be buying the car outright instead of leasing through BMWFS. Have your cake and eat it too...
True!
Deathboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
 
CnoteMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I agree. Do your lease through leasecompare.com. I never purchase (or lease) a car without pre-arranged outside financing. This is the last opportunity for the dealer to boost their profit on the unprepared buyer.

Once they see that you have your own financing (or leasing), they have no choice but to either match your terms or accept your outside financing.

Years ago, I had a similar situation with a dealer. I wanted to lease the car and they were unwilling to significantly adjust the sales price or the lease terms. I went home, did the deal online and ended up coming back to the same dealer to pick up my car with $1000 off the price (they were only willing to take off $250), and much better lease terms.
__________________
2008 BMW 535i Space Gray, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim| Sport Automatic with Paddles | Sport Package
2008 BMW M5 (gone, but not forgotten) Space Gray, Silverstone Merino Leather, Madeira Walnut Wood Trim | 7speed SMG | All options
Mods: Corsa Exhaust | RPI Ram Air Intake | H&R Sport Springs | Rogue Engineering 12mm spacers
CnoteMD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
xxruffdmxx
Private
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ny/nj

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to xxruffdmxx
guys thank you for your responses. I am really considering going through leasecompare. Will be calling them in the morning. Has anyone dealt with them? Any positives and negatives about leasecompare?

Keep the responses coming. I appreciate all your help.
xxruffdmxx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
use leasecompare. i applied for one in 900's this morning, waiting for approval
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
xxruffdmxx
Private
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ny/nj

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to xxruffdmxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
use leasecompare. i applied for one in 900's this morning, waiting for approval
did you put any money down? my deal is zero down, 10,000 miles/year, 36 months at 1235/month with tax in the payments. the msrp of my car is 70,175
xxruffdmxx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxruffdmxx View Post
did you put any money down? my deal is zero down, 10,000 miles/year, 36 months at 1235/month with tax in the payments. the msrp of my car is 70,175
sounds right based on BMWFS numbers. i would try other banks/leasing companies. in this forum there's quite a few threads about it, one of them started by leaseCompare, check them out
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mdrobc13's Avatar
 
Drives: Made in Bavaria
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!

Posts: 1,571
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
I'd walk on the dealer's offer use lease compare and anyone else to get better terms then walk in and get the car outright for the price you wanted and tell him exactly WHY you did it and that you're going to tell all you know about his practicies and that he get a clue next time he tries to run "game" like that on an informed buyer. Of course would do it after I'd paid for the car via lease compare.com!
__________________
'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black Mettalic)- Daily Driver
'12 F10 550i (Dinan S3 Car) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
sainthoo
New Member
 
Drives: 335, XC90, Ferrari 308
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

So, if you were really pissed...

Ask if the dealership accepts credit cards, which they do I am sure. Get a money line with your house which will have a low rate. Negotiate, then when you don't get what you want, tell the guy you will pay now. Pay with the credit card, and let them eat the credit card commish.
My father in law did this to some a-hole sales manager when they tried to change the deal, just as you describe. Needless to say, the manager instantly caved.

In all seriousness, take the independent lease deal.
sainthoo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
btw guys. note that leasecompare's banks make u pay 500 to return the car. so u gotta pay attention to those little sneaky fees they put in there. just a heads up
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
Jdebitjr
First Lieutenant
 
Jdebitjr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DFW, Texas

Posts: 386
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthoo View Post
So, if you were really pissed...

Ask if the dealership accepts credit cards, which they do I am sure. Get a money line with your house which will have a low rate. Negotiate, then when you don't get what you want, tell the guy you will pay now. Pay with the credit card, and let them eat the credit card commish.
My father in law did this to some a-hole sales manager when they tried to change the deal, just as you describe. Needless to say, the manager instantly caved.

In all seriousness, take the independent lease deal.
Most car dealers around here (DFW area) will only let you put $2,500 on the card...just because of the fees. Some will let you put $5,000, but charge you an extra 3% to cover the fee....
Jdebitjr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
BCMPOWER
Captain
 
BCMPOWER's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Silver Spring MD

Posts: 626
iTrader: (0)

we're all going through the same things here is a thread fully discussing it
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127848

Mantis I saw that too but all around they are pretty honest with their numbers. I won't be going that route as I mentioned earlier I have a good relationship with my CA and dealership. However i would most certainly use them if that wasn't the case.
__________________
BCMPOWER is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
gadget
Major
 
gadget's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (0)

My dealer offered me a .0217 money factor through US Banks since BMW finacail is higher. .03xx is outright robbery.
gadget is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
gadget
Major
 
gadget's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
use leasecompare. i applied for one in 900's this morning, waiting for approval
Can you please post your terms. I take it you are either puting 4-5k down or the cars MSRP is in the low 60's please confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
btw guys. note that leasecompare's banks make u pay 500 to return the car. so u gotta pay attention to those little sneaky fees they put in there. just a heads up

BMW isn't much better. I need to pay a $350 fee at the end of the lease. If you do a 48 month lease and save 200 dollars a month with another company, you are saving $9600 over the term of the lease. With that kind of savings who cars if lease compare hits you with 1k of hidden fees. You still save $8600...
gadget is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
sainthoo
New Member
 
Drives: 335, XC90, Ferrari 308
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdebitjr View Post
Most car dealers around here (DFW area) will only let you put $2,500 on the card...just because of the fees. Some will let you put $5,000, but charge you an extra 3% to cover the fee....
I am not in retail, but my father in law used to have a side business in retail. At that time, if you had the sign on the door, you had to accept payment or forfeit your privledges. The sales guy said he wouldn't accept, FIN happily explained it all, they checked into it for 10 minutes and then caved. Of course, times may have changed.
sainthoo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
Hammer
Lieutenant
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany, Cologne

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Did you thought about a credit as financiation for the car?
as far as i know a credit is cheaper than leasing if you buy the car for private purposes. i m not firm with the american law, therefor be careful with my advice. but here in germany its better to take out a personal loan than leasing ( you have to check some banks for a good interestrate).
if you have colaterals it gets a bit cheaper again.
buying a car cash should reduce the price ( 5-10% ?) cause the dealer normaly prefer cash ( improving their liquidity and so on).

get as many information as possible befor you act. Asking is free of costs in the most cases, but it reduces your cost signifianct with some luck.
Hammer is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
White08M3
Captain
 
White08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island,NY/ Miami Beach

Posts: 789
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to White08M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxruffdmxx View Post
I went down to my dealership to discuss the details of my deal. I go directly to the sales manager and start a conversation with him. He tells me the car is gonna be here in a week and a half, being very nice to me. So I ask him what am I looking to pay for the car if I lease it. (10,000/year for 36 months, MSRP 70, 175 including gas guzler tax). He tells me it looks like 1295 per month. I tell him that that number is too high. He tells me that that is the number and he cannot move down. I tell him that this number is inconsistent with the fair market value. As the conversation is progressing, I find out that this guy is using the .00310 money factor. So i tell him isn't the money factor .00258. He says yes, but I can't give that to you. So I ask him why not? He tells me because he needs to make money. I tell him he makes money selling the car at msrp and on all the options. At this point this guy is being very rude, his tone of voice changed completely and he's angry at me simply because I know what I am talking about. We got to leasecompare.com where he sees the car at 1189/month with a .00217 money factor and 12,000/year (my car at 10,000/year). After seeing that price, I can see him boiling and he's even more angry. Accusing me of changing the deal. So i tell him we did not have a deal and I am simply negotiating. He goes to his computer and once again in a rude tone tell's me that the best he can do is 1235/month with zero down, with tax in the payment. I ask him what changed since you quoted me at 1295/month to now at 1235/month. No response. So I tell him that I am willing to pay 1210/month and that his mark up on the money factor was unethical. At which point he tells me to calm down. I tell him that I am calm and not to be mad because I know what I am talking about. I told him that i will take the deal at 1210/month and he is being stern about the 1235/month deal.
Anyway, I came out of there so angry. The audacity of the guy to be rude because I told him that he is being unethical.
I am reconsidering getting my long awaited M3. This guy (he does not deserve to be mentioned by name on this forum) is such a jerk, that I am about to drop the deal.
What do you guys think of the deal. I can afford the 1235/month, but I feel like the car should not be this much and that he is fucking me. Any other recommendations are welcome.


im paying $1117.46 a month, $4996 out of pocket. i have a AW coupe, tech package, premium, cold, rear PDC, sunshade, hd radio, sat radio, black novillo, alum trim. 18s

just an FYI so i think that 1235 with tax rolled in and 0 down aint that bad?

just an FYI
__________________


E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
White08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
xxruffdmxx
Private
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ny/nj

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to xxruffdmxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by White08M3 View Post
im paying $1117.46 a month, $4996 out of pocket. i have a AW coupe, tech package, premium, cold, rear PDC, sunshade, hd radio, sat radio, black novillo, alum trim. 18s

just an FYI so i think that 1235 with tax rolled in and 0 down aint that bad?

just an FYI
thanks for the info white. I guess I will just have to deal with the horrible rates.
Anyone else leasing, if you are, what are your payments?
xxruffdmxx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
I agree. Do your lease through leasecompare.com. I never purchase (or lease) a car without pre-arranged outside financing. This is the last opportunity for the dealer to boost their profit on the unprepared buyer.

Once they see that you have your own financing (or leasing), they have no choice but to either match your terms or accept your outside financing.

Years ago, I had a similar situation with a dealer. I wanted to lease the car and they were unwilling to significantly adjust the sales price or the lease terms. I went home, did the deal online and ended up coming back to the same dealer to pick up my car with $1000 off the price (they were only willing to take off $250), and much better lease terms.

Good advice....Something like that would make me say "FU, keep the car" and then go somewhere else to order one...homey don't play that!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST