BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

03-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #23
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

easy answer for you - dont get it (CFR) then.

for me, its CFR FTW!
      03-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #24
Davinhci
Colonel

Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
both looks good, CF Roof for me tho
Davinhci is online now   United_States
      03-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #25
Jack28
HUSTLER

Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to Jack28
I think I can sacrifice the Sunroof... I just love how the CF Roof Looks especially on AW!
Its simply amazing! The one thing I was on the Fence about was M-DCT!
I have always been the "Cluth and stick" kinda guy as my E46 M3 is 6MT as
well as my P-Cars But Everytime I hear something new about M-DCT, Makes me hold off on Putting in my order and makes me want to wait till some real driving reviews come out on MDCT(which we are very close to) then put in my Final Order w/ M-DCT....

Inconclusion regarding the CF Roof, its all on individual taste. Some people
use their SR extensively but someone like me, Barely used his on my E46 M3.
I was very close to doing the CSL CF roof on my E46 M3 But held off on it when I saw the E92 M3 with the CF roof.... I say if you like the SR and will Use it, Go for it!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
      03-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #26
tturedraider
Lieutenant

Drives: '06 Sonora 330i NA N52 :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoma View Post
I ordered with both. California mandates a sunroof, although I really wanted the CF, I am slightly claustrophobic and need that window in the ceiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
How can you order both? California mandates a sunroof? Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoma View Post
Zirenz - He asked about DCT and CF.
I ordered both. As for California mandating a sunroof, um clearly you can't read. I said I am in california and its a must since the weather is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Um..Actually I can read, I just misunderstood what you meant.
dangoma - There's no need to be rude. It actually would be more that you didn't do the reading. The OP titled the thread "carbon fiber vrs sunroof". He did not actually ask about DCT and CF. You inferred that based on the information he gave in his post.

Your post was unclear. Based on the actual question asked it certainly appeared you were saying you ordered both the carbon fiber roof and the sunroof. You didn't actually state you lived in Cali, but only left that to be assumed. What you actually said was, "California mandates a sunroof", which could certainly be interpreted to mean BMW had some rule that required Cali cars have a sunroof.
tturedraider is offline   United_States
      03-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #27
par4bmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
I think I can sacrifice the Sunroof... I just love how the CF Roof Looks especially on AW!
Its simply amazing! The one thing I was on the Fence about was M-DCT!
I have always been the "Cluth and stick" kinda guy as my E46 M3 is 6MT as
well as my P-Cars But Everytime I hear something new about M-DCT, Makes me hold off on Putting in my order and makes me want to wait till some real driving reviews come out on MDCT(which we are very close to) then put in my Final Order w/ M-DCT....

Inconclusion regarding the CF Roof, its all on individual taste. Some people
use their SR extensively but someone like me, Barely used his on my E46 M3.
I was very close to doing the CSL CF roof on my E46 M3 But held off on it when I saw the E92 M3 with the CF roof.... I say if you like the SR and will Use it, Go for it!
Jack, you are so right about the CF on AW. It just pops. Two dealers had AW coupes w/moonroofs and it just did not look right IMHO. On the JB it looked fine to me. Not that it looked bad AW with moonroof, just used to seeing the CF in the ads and pics.

When is your M slated for production? AW / FR is such a favorite for valid reason.
      03-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #28
dawgdog
Colonel

Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS

Made the decision to go with CF roof. My main reasons are 1. wt. reduction -I don't need to add 85+ lbs. by having both DCT and a moonroof 2. more headroom for car control and tracking events when I wear my helmet and 3. aesthetics - does break up the mass of white appliance look.
AW on Fox Red Extended, Alum trim, ZPP, ZTP, DCT, 19" wheels, Heated front seats, HD radio, Sat radio, I-pod & usb, Premium sound, AP racing BBK, 18 Volk Racing TE 37s, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, AST suspension
      03-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #29
rai
Captain

Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

I hate sunroofs personally. I was excited to see the M3 both coupe and sedan can be got without a sunroof and I like the CF roof a lot. I was appalled at how many coups and sedans are being sold with sunroofs, but then I never understood why people like them, they are a tiny window on the celing which is more weight something to leak and possibly more moving parts to rattle not to mention likley less structural rigidity even with the added weight to help give back the structure that was harmed by cutting the hole in the first place.

IMO it's a lot of negativs for me since I never use them. I had a Passat with one and used it maybe 6 times in 8 years.

They do not make the car seem like a convertible no matter what anyone says. I have owned S2000 and Z3 verts for 8 of the past 10 years so let me tell you small hole in the roof is not the same as no roof and no back window. It's like the difference from a Mc-Ds hamburger happy meal to a Ruth Chris steak dinner.
rai is offline   United_States
      03-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #30
M3Kevin
Private First Class

Drives: Alpine White 2008 M3

Garage List
2004 Corvette Z06  [0.00]
2004 GT3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Mike -
You hit the moonroof on the head. Yes it just does make me happy as well.

Kevin

p.s. what's the +1 thing I see around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
+1

And, from a pure visceral driving experience point of view, driving with the roof open just makes me happy.

~Mike

Happiness isn't around the corner - it IS the corner!
M3Kevin is offline   United_States
      03-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #31
ersin
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Kevin View Post
Mike -
You hit the moonroof on the head. Yes it just does make me happy as well.

Kevin

p.s. what's the +1 thing I see around here?
+1 means "Yea, what he said. I'd have said the same thing."

IMHO, I would love a convertible, if only it weren't so heavy. But I have that covered since I still have a Miata. M3 (hardtop w or w/o SR) for a DD, Miata for when it's a nice day.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States