BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #45
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
What utter, utter, nonsense. Go away quickly, and close the door behind you.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #46
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
United_States
16
Rep
450
Posts

 
Drives: m
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

thanks for posting the reviews. Now I am off the hook ...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #47
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
6
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

Swamp,

I think it was Uli_HH who broke the news and not Just Me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #48
rvacha
Captain
rvacha's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
745
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
OK, here's the first part:
Yet another valuable service from members of the 6MT Club!
__________________

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #49
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
607
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Updated the third persons impressions. One still to come...


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #50
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
7
Rep
453
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am less impressed by this review, especially the jerk during upshifts. The whole reason of dual clutch is to be seamless in the changes, not noticeable and jerky like they were with SMG. Unless my understand of what the guy that wrote this is different I doubt I will like this that much.

I would also like to see performance figures for each of the different modes (Auto and Manual) to see if they effect the acceleration. If so then in my opinion BMW have f--ked things up BIG TIME.
I read the reviews and, although the English was bad, I took it to be more of a surge, not a jerk. Also that it was only there in the more agressive shift modes (S4 to S6). It did say that D1 and D2 were very smooth.

"D1 and D2 are like the Audi ad claim, shifting almost imperceptible "

So you can have it agressive or you can have it smooth at the flick of a switch. Where did you get that it was a jerking movement?

Last edited by goldminer; 03-26-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #51
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
145
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am less impressed by this review, especially the jerk during upshifts. The whole reason of dual clutch is to be seamless in the changes, not noticeable and jerky like they were with SMG. Unless my understand of what the guy that wrote this is different I doubt I will like this that much.

I would also like to see performance figures for each of the different modes (Auto and Manual) to see if they effect the acceleration. If so then in my opinion BMW have f--ked things up BIG TIME.

Wow... Do you really believe what you write? The jerk on upshifts is a natural thing. When you have an engine at 8400 rpm and upshift, the next gear will bring down the RPMs by 1000-2000 rpms. This difference in RPMs must be absorbed by the transmission speeding up and the engine slowing down....

This translates into tire chirp on upshifts at redline.

If a meat computer can shift a manual transmission as quickly as MDCT, then it would also get the same chirp. But we know the mean computer is slow.

I will tell all of you guys this.... With SMG2, the E46 M3 didn't have enough power to really showcase the upshift tire chirp phenoma.... The M5 / M6's V10 with SMG3 does and it is a GLORIOUS sensation and not an annoyance.

With the E9x M3, it will have enough power to make this chirp....

Don't fear it, it is like a good thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
DCT WILL be worth about 20 hp and 20 ft lb (equivalently). The larger gear ratios AND shorter shift times will do this, period. If you do not disagree that the car will be measureably faster how can you disagree that there is not a significant and equivalent hp/tq gain? You've got this one wrong.

As far as the perception of gear changes it sounds like the system offers a full range of performance, barely noticeable changes in some modes, and noticeable not not nearly as noticeable as SMG in other modes. This does not mean much as all in terms of the performance advantages. All it really means is that I was a bit wrong about the particular design direction they took and whether or not super fast could be mixed with super smooth. That being said I always agreed with enigma that there is a certain amount of engine, flywheel and drivetrain inertia and that has to go somewhere.

The Cartest2000 simulations don't support significantly faster acceleration for the MDCT.....the reason the MDCT is faster is quicker shift times and not gear.

That is what the data says....let's see it on video
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #52
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Got a bit of flak from my comments which was to be expected.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear with my comment 'F--king it up BIG TIME', this comment was based on the belief that you only got the fastest acceleration when in the S6 mode which really would defeat the purpose of using a dual clutch transmission. If this isn't the case and all of the differing modes offer equally as quick of acceleration than I stand corrected.

If this is not the case and only S6 with it's jerk/surge gives the desired results then I stand by my opinion. The SMG was one of the worst gearboxes I ever tested and the thought of BMW choosing to offer something similar just makes me so disappointed.

Remember unlike most of you here I have a lot more experience of this type of transmission than most.

T-Bone, your opinions that the jerk is a natural thing is total and utter BS, I know someone who has sampled the Veyron and his comments and disbelief was how something with so much power and acceleration could be so totally smooth between gears.

I will hold judgement on the transmission until I get to sample it but I hope before that happens that some magazine does the kind of review which tests the acceleration between the different modes to see if the jerk/surge is only added to give the impression of speed.

In my opinion the jury is still out.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #53
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
145
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
T-Bone, your opinions that the jerk is a natural thing is total and utter BS, I know someone who has sampled the Veyron and his comments and disbelief was how something with so much power and acceleration could be so totally smooth between gears.

In my opinion the jury is still out.

Usually a person needs to have a basic grasp of physics and math to render another's opinion BS.

Have you ever heard of power shifting on manual trannies? Same thing as the upshift chirp.

Stick to your 6MT as this seems to be the only thing you seem to understand.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #54
WCH
Major
WCH's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,234
Posts

 
Drives: '14 F10 M5 SG
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Sounds great. Can't wait to experience it myself.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #55
Just_me
Captain
65
Rep
605
Posts

 
Drives: RWD
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

How can someone be against jerkiness in manual mode in the fastest setting (S6)?, That is great thing and racing inspired. Dont want it another way.

What also positive is that in automatic mode the gearchanges are smoother than SMG becuase this have been the weakest part with SMG. This is what car reviews have been dissing. So this is good news.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #56
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
607
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I read the reviews and, although the English was bad


Added the last part to my post. Hope it's somewhat comprehensible.


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #57
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
4,070
Posts

 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

It sounds like the M-DCT will be everything we hoped it would, and then some. We still need to wait for "real" people to starting driving it and report back. But if it is that good I might just consider spending the $2700 for it. Maybe.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #58
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
4,070
Posts

 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

And thanks for the translation south!
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #59
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Usually a person needs to have a basic grasp of physics and math to render another's opinion BS.

Have you ever heard of power shifting on manual trannies? Same thing as the upshift chirp.

Stick to your 6MT as this seems to be the only thing you seem to understand.
Agreed, I don't have the same grasp of some of the technical stuff that some of you might have, I only know how to drive extremely quickly.

T-Bone, can I ask, how much experience do you have with Dual Clutch Transmissions? Somehow I don't think you have quite grasped what makes them so different to your disastrous SMG. If BMW have designed in the jerk/surge and it doesn't effect the acceleration then all is well, but if you only gain the maximum attack with it then a lot of people will be turned off, myself included.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #60
jtown
Lieutenant
jtown's Avatar
13
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Usually a person needs to have a basic grasp of physics and math to render another's opinion BS.

Have you ever heard of power shifting on manual trannies? Same thing as the upshift chirp.

Stick to your 6MT as this seems to be the only thing you seem to understand.
pwned.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #61
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
145
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Agreed, I don't have the same grasp of some of the technical stuff that some of you might have, I only know how to drive extremely quickly.

T-Bone, can I ask, how much experience do you have with Dual Clutch Transmissions? Somehow I don't think you have quite grasped what makes them so different to your disastrous SMG. If BMW have designed in the jerk/surge and it doesn't effect the acceleration then all is well, but if you only gain the maximum attack with it then a lot of people will be turned off, myself included.
Yes Footie, you are a legend in your own mind

BMW could have easily designed smoothness into it since it is throttle-by-wire, but they chose to let nature happen. They will leave the girly shifting to DSG and women who put on their lipstick in the mirror.

The snap / chirp is a desirable feeling....you really need to experience it before you can render an opinion here.

If you do insist on putting on your makeup Footie, lift when you upshift and the tranny computer will give you a DSG type of upshift. WOT makes the tranny shift quickly as possible for the snap / chirp...

You will like it.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #62
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
T-Bone,

I have already said I will only be able to make a proper opinion on the system when I sample it for myself. After reading the third and fourth review that South kindly added I can see lots to like about the gear box.

I think by the sound of the reviews that the people which got to sample the car from the passenger seat all either own or owned SMG cars and it looked like they could only relate to quick shifts if there was a jerk/surge with the change. I hope that DCT is just as quick in acceleration in the lesser modes as there is no reason for them not to be.

Also remember that I had DSG and didn't care for it much but the reasons for this centred more so with living with the system and finding that the auto modes were the best for me. Maybe DCT has improved on these failings, maybe not but I do want to try it for myself to see if it would be something to think of in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #63
T Bone
Brigadier General
T Bone's Avatar
145
Rep
4,021
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
T-Bone,

I have already said I will only be able to make a proper opinion on the system when I sample it for myself. After reading the third and fourth review that South kindly added I can see lots to like about the gear box.

I think by the sound of the reviews that the people which got to sample the car from the passenger seat all either own or owned SMG cars and it looked like they could only relate to quick shifts if there was a jerk/surge with the change. I hope that DCT is just as quick in acceleration in the lesser modes as there is no reason for them not to be.

Also remember that I had DSG and didn't care for it much but the reasons for this centred more so with living with the system and finding that the auto modes were the best for me. Maybe DCT has improved on these failings, maybe not but I do want to try it for myself to see if it would be something to think of in the future.

You see footie, if you had posted above instead of "BMW F--king it up BIG TIME", none of us would have ridden you like the town whore.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #64
apw2607
Major
45
Rep
1,428
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Well after reading the english translations (many thanks), and the discussion from the various knowledgeable experts on the subject ...

I'm going to try and cancel my M-DCT order which is arriving in 2 1/2 weeks at my dealer ... Its a nice space grey will all options. Instead I think I will buy a nice Audi S5.




NOT !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #65
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
hakaida442's Avatar
3
Rep
371
Posts

 
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

I was under the impression by the bmw dct video (especially the part that shows shifting during a turn) that shifts would be fast but not jerky which would lead to better and smoother performance. I guess I'll have to wait for more real life reviews and a test drive it in various modes. I want auto tranny smoothness in everyday traffic, but want more performance (faster shifts) without shifts disrupting the chassis too.

Last edited by hakaida442; 03-26-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #66
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
You see footie, if you had posted above instead of "BMW F--king it up BIG TIME", none of us would have ridden you like the town whore.
T-Bone,

If BMW offers equally as quick acceleration from the lesser modes than no harm done, but if not then it will be a major F--k up in my opinion.

P.S.
On the most part I have been a great supporter of the technology, regardless if I personally wouldn't pick it for myself based on my experience with DSG. Maybe DCT will change that opinion which would be a bigger shock to me than any of you.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST