BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GTB Performance

03-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #177
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn0944 View Post
We have a conscientious that tells us right from wrong; we feel guilt when we do something wrong; if we hurt someone today, we think of it tomorrow or even longer. .
Our conscience does not tell us right from wrong. There have been many studies that show this. Our conscience is our inner voice which has been programmed by our parents, peers, and society at large. Why is it acceptable to stone a woman in the Middle East, but not here? Why was it acceptable to slaughter millions of Jews in WWII Germany but not in the rest of the world? Why is it ok to drown your own child in the river in China if it's a girl and you wanted a boy, but looked down upon other places?Sorry but the whole idea of right and wrong being regulated by our conscience is bupkiss.
      03-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #178
Neurorad
Major

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Our conscience does not tell us right from wrong. There have been many studies that show this. Our conscience is our inner voice which has been programmed by our parents, peers, and society at large. Why is it acceptable to stone a woman in the Middle East, but not here? Why was it acceptable to slaughter millions of Jews in WWII Germany but not in the rest of the world? Why is it ok to drown your own child in the river in China if it's a girl and you wanted a boy, but looked down upon other places?Sorry but the whole idea of right and wrong being regulated by our conscience is bupkiss.
Our conscience DOES tell us right from wrong. Like you said, it's the inner voice that's been programmed by society, telling you what is acceptable and what is not.
      03-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #179
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Our conscience DOES tell us right from wrong. Like you said, it's the inner voice that's been programmed by society, telling you what is acceptable and what is not.
So is it wrong to stone a woman for infidielity?

What about if you lived in the Middle East where it is not only tolerated but expected?

Seems to me that our conscience is heavily influenced by outside influences.

How about this: Is it wrong to strap a bomb to yourself and go blow up a bunch of people?

Consciences are very subjective depending on who you are, your upbrining, etc. There is no clear right or wrong for any situation. If you were taught to not feel remorse at stoning a woman to death then you will not feel remorse. Your conscience is not some magical mystical entitiy that automatically knows right from wrong. There are no Jiminy Crickets out there telling people what is right and what is wrong; only other people.
      03-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #180
bartman32
Colonel

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
So is it wrong to stone a woman for infidielity?

What about if you lived in the Middle East where it is not only tolerated but expected?

Seems to me that our conscience is heavily influenced by outside influences.

How about this: Is it wrong to strap a bomb to yourself and go blow up a bunch of people?

Consciences are very subjective depending on who you are, your upbrining, etc. There is no clear right or wrong for any situation. If you were taught to not feel remorse at stoning a woman to death then you will not feel remorse. Your conscience is not some magical mystical entitiy that automatically knows right from wrong. There are no Jiminy Crickets out there telling people what is right and what is wrong; only other people.
I have to completely agree with you! 100 years ago it was totally acceptable to own people. PEOPLE! Here in the US! Now we are appauled by it. Certainly our morality and consciences are shapped by what society says is so and what we learn from our parents.
      03-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #181
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." -Robert Jastrow

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      03-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #182
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      03-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #183
Negotiator
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." -Robert Jastrow

"Open to the possibility of extra-terrestrial life in the universe, but skeptical of the proposed alien origin of UFO's due to a lack of strong physical evidence that would support this hypothesis."

This is the same dude's take on UFO.
Negotiator is offline   Ukraine
      03-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #184
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
"Open to the possibility of extra-terrestrial life in the universe, but skeptical of the proposed alien origin of UFO's due to a lack of strong physical evidence that would support this hypothesis."

This is the same dude's take on UFO.
It's funny you point that out. I really don't know anything about Jastrow, but the idea you presented about ET is similar to my idea. I don't know if God placed life on other planets, asteroids, moons, etc.

But if there is no other life than that on Earth, when mankind does make a foothold on other planets, moons, asteroids, etc., at least we wouldn't have to be concerned about competition with alien life (microbial, intelligent, or otherwise). If there is no other life, then there wouldn't be an ecological question about just taking what we want and leaving the rest.

And, even if there is ET life, I doubt they would be visiting us, and especially it seems unlikely they would hide their existence (unless it was that they feared us).

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      03-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #185
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
I don't know if God placed life on other planets, asteroids, moons, etc.
Who placed God, whereever he is?

Quote:
But if there is no other life than that on Earth, when mankind does make a foothold on other planets, moons, asteroids, etc.
If your fundamentalist religious right wins, we are not going anywhere.

Quote:
And, even if there is ET life, I doubt they would be visiting us, and especially it seems unlikely they would hide their existence (unless it was that they feared us).
Why is God hiding his existence? Fear?

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States