BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #177
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor
 
gum5h03's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WA

Posts: 801
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn0944 View Post
We have a conscientious that tells us right from wrong; we feel guilt when we do something wrong; if we hurt someone today, we think of it tomorrow or even longer. .
Our conscience does not tell us right from wrong. There have been many studies that show this. Our conscience is our inner voice which has been programmed by our parents, peers, and society at large. Why is it acceptable to stone a woman in the Middle East, but not here? Why was it acceptable to slaughter millions of Jews in WWII Germany but not in the rest of the world? Why is it ok to drown your own child in the river in China if it's a girl and you wanted a boy, but looked down upon other places?Sorry but the whole idea of right and wrong being regulated by our conscience is bupkiss.
gum5h03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #178
Neurorad
Major
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

Posts: 1,209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Our conscience does not tell us right from wrong. There have been many studies that show this. Our conscience is our inner voice which has been programmed by our parents, peers, and society at large. Why is it acceptable to stone a woman in the Middle East, but not here? Why was it acceptable to slaughter millions of Jews in WWII Germany but not in the rest of the world? Why is it ok to drown your own child in the river in China if it's a girl and you wanted a boy, but looked down upon other places?Sorry but the whole idea of right and wrong being regulated by our conscience is bupkiss.
Our conscience DOES tell us right from wrong. Like you said, it's the inner voice that's been programmed by society, telling you what is acceptable and what is not.
Neurorad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #179
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor
 
gum5h03's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WA

Posts: 801
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Our conscience DOES tell us right from wrong. Like you said, it's the inner voice that's been programmed by society, telling you what is acceptable and what is not.
So is it wrong to stone a woman for infidielity?

What about if you lived in the Middle East where it is not only tolerated but expected?

Seems to me that our conscience is heavily influenced by outside influences.

How about this: Is it wrong to strap a bomb to yourself and go blow up a bunch of people?

Consciences are very subjective depending on who you are, your upbrining, etc. There is no clear right or wrong for any situation. If you were taught to not feel remorse at stoning a woman to death then you will not feel remorse. Your conscience is not some magical mystical entitiy that automatically knows right from wrong. There are no Jiminy Crickets out there telling people what is right and what is wrong; only other people.
gum5h03 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #180
bartman32
Colonel
 
bartman32's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The OC

Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
So is it wrong to stone a woman for infidielity?

What about if you lived in the Middle East where it is not only tolerated but expected?

Seems to me that our conscience is heavily influenced by outside influences.

How about this: Is it wrong to strap a bomb to yourself and go blow up a bunch of people?

Consciences are very subjective depending on who you are, your upbrining, etc. There is no clear right or wrong for any situation. If you were taught to not feel remorse at stoning a woman to death then you will not feel remorse. Your conscience is not some magical mystical entitiy that automatically knows right from wrong. There are no Jiminy Crickets out there telling people what is right and what is wrong; only other people.
I have to completely agree with you! 100 years ago it was totally acceptable to own people. PEOPLE! Here in the US! Now we are appauled by it. Certainly our morality and consciences are shapped by what society says is so and what we learn from our parents.
__________________
bartman32 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #181
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." -Robert Jastrow
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #182
e90im
Brigadier General
 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,053
iTrader: (8)

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #183
Negotiator
Lieutenant
 
Negotiator's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." -Robert Jastrow

"Open to the possibility of extra-terrestrial life in the universe, but skeptical of the proposed alien origin of UFO's due to a lack of strong physical evidence that would support this hypothesis."

This is the same dude's take on UFO.
Negotiator is offline   Ukraine
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #184
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
"Open to the possibility of extra-terrestrial life in the universe, but skeptical of the proposed alien origin of UFO's due to a lack of strong physical evidence that would support this hypothesis."

This is the same dude's take on UFO.
It's funny you point that out. I really don't know anything about Jastrow, but the idea you presented about ET is similar to my idea. I don't know if God placed life on other planets, asteroids, moons, etc.

But if there is no other life than that on Earth, when mankind does make a foothold on other planets, moons, asteroids, etc., at least we wouldn't have to be concerned about competition with alien life (microbial, intelligent, or otherwise). If there is no other life, then there wouldn't be an ecological question about just taking what we want and leaving the rest.

And, even if there is ET life, I doubt they would be visiting us, and especially it seems unlikely they would hide their existence (unless it was that they feared us).
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #185
e90im
Brigadier General
 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,053
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I don't know if God placed life on other planets, asteroids, moons, etc.
Who placed God, whereever he is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
But if there is no other life than that on Earth, when mankind does make a foothold on other planets, moons, asteroids, etc.
If your fundamentalist religious right wins, we are not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
And, even if there is ET life, I doubt they would be visiting us, and especially it seems unlikely they would hide their existence (unless it was that they feared us).
Why is God hiding his existence? Fear?
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST