BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

03-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Not above reproach - admitted infidelity

Governor Elliot Spitzer of New York appologized today.

Quote:
Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring

"The man described as Client 9 in court papers arranged to meet with a prostitute who was part of the ring, Emperors Club VIP, on the night of Feb. 13. Mr. Spitzer traveled to Washington that evening, according to a person told of his travel arrangements.

"The affidavit says that Client 9 met with the woman in hotel room 871 but does not identify the hotel. Mr. Spitzer stayed at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington on Feb. 13, according to a source who was told of his travel arrangements. Room 871 at the Mayflower Hotel that evening was registered under another name.

"Federal prosecutors rarely charge clients in prostitution cases, which are generally seen as state crimes. But the Mann Act, passed by Congress in 1910 to address prostitution, human trafficking and what was viewed at the time as immorality in general, makes it a crime to transport someone between states for the purpose of prostitution. The four defendants charged in the case unsealed last week were all charged with that crime, along with several others."

“I have acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family and violates my or any sense of right or wrong,” said Mr. Spitzer, who appeared with his wife Silda at his Manhattan office. “I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public to whom I promised better.”

“I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family.”

"He declined to take questions and promised to report back soon. As he went to leave, three reporters screamed out, "Are you resigning? Are you resigning?", and Mr. Spitzer charged out of the room, slamming the door."

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto

Last edited by scottwww; 03-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.
scottwww is offline   United_States
      03-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
GH32335i
Lieutenant

Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Governor Elliot Spitzer of New York appologized today.
Couldn't have happen to a better guy!! He's made a life of making other people's lives miserable for his self promotion.

Good luck, Eliot, hope Kristen was worth it!
GH32335i is offline   United_States
      03-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
scottwww
Brigadier General

Barnie Frank still needs to go.

Quote:
Barney Frank and the Male Prostitute – 1989

"Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Barney Frank admitted a lengthy relationship with a male hooker who ran a bisexual prostitution service out of Frank's apartment."

"Though Frank was apparently ignorant of some of the prostitute's activities, his indiscretion was so great that his standing in Congress was greatly damaged and a House reprimand passed overwhelmingly in July 1990."
Quote:
Congressional Bad Boys

The House voted 408-18 to reprimand Frank. It was a tough, four-hour debate. It got ugly when the Honorable William Dannemeyer (Republican-California) started badgering Frank about his activities. "It's a cultural war" between "Judeo-Christian ethic" and "moral relativism," shouted Dannemeyer. Then the Honorable Julian C. Dixon (Democrat-California) lashed out at Dannemeyer, accusing him of using "edited, selective garbage" against Frank.

Frank was later asked about Dannemeyer's remarks: "There's something about homosexuality that sets Mr. Dannemeyer to vibrating. I don't know what it is."

Frank took to the House floor an apologized to his colleagues and conceded that he had erred. (Frank was only the seventh Member of Congress ever reprimanded).

Many colleagues and Washington know-it-alls figured Barney was done for. But his Massachusetts constituents stuck with him, and he's still in Congress. Check out Jeff Jacoby's article about Massachusetts.

03-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Hey scotty, how about them apples?
Attached Images

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      03-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
e90im
Brigadier General

one more..
Attached Images

03-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
e90im
Brigadier General

one more...
Attached Images

03-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
e90im
Brigadier General

one more.....
Attached Images

03-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
e90im
Brigadier General

and another...
Attached Images

03-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
e90im
Brigadier General

At least he scored a hot chick. Reps and religious right are steeped in gauness...

03-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
T Bone
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

03-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
e90im
Brigadier General

Religious right HYPOCRICY!!!!

03-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Hey scotty, how about them apples?
Larry Craig needs to go, too. I would encourage all to root them out and shame them out of office (especially when they have broken the law or demonstrated an abuse of power). But let's have some consistency and do the same for the Democrats. For those who have not broken the law but are perverse, just vote them out of office.

Last edited by scottwww; 03-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.
      03-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Larry Craig needs to go, too. I would encourage all to root them out and shame them out of office (especially when they have broken the law or demonstrated an abuse of power). But let's have some consistency and do the same for the Democrats. For those who have not broken the law but are perverse, just vote them out of office.
Why would having sex with a hot brunette be perverse?

03-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Why would having sex with a hot brunette be perverse?
There are a number of possible uses for the word perverse. Larry Craig is perverse in my view by the way that you appear to recognize the word, and was my intent. However, I see that you may not hold the view that Larry Craig was perverse. Perhaps a word that would mean more to you would have been "objectionable" as in, "For those who have not broken the law but are objectionable to you, just vote them out of office."

In the case of Governor Spitzer of New York, he was a law breaker (federal, state and local). My use of the word perverse did not apply to him in this sentence about "those who have not broken the law". Although I hadn't applied perverse to Spitzer, it can still apply in the sense of "a wicked and perverse generation" and may apply in the more common sense of the word perverse, though this word hadn't come to my mind in his regard until you brought it up.

define: perverse
      03-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #15
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

One thing the media ignores on this, is that regardless of whether or not he commited the crime, it's quite obvious that this all has to do with some sort of grudge.

The Federal laws being used to prosecute him haven't been used in decades.
      03-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
One thing the media ignores on this, is that regardless of whether or not he commited the crime, it's quite obvious that this all has to do with some sort of grudge.

The Federal laws being used to prosecute him haven't been used in decades.
What information do you have on that point?

If any of the crimes for which Spitzer is accused leads to conviction should he still stay in office?

What grudge? Where is it so obvious?

Share your information. Otherwise you are still leaving us in the dark since the press isn't reporting it or we may not be giving close enough attention to the case.

03-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
What information do you have on that point?

If any of the crimes for which Spitzer is accused leads to conviction should he still stay in office?

What grudge? Where is it so obvious?

Share your information. Otherwise you are still leaving us in the dark since the press isn't reporting it or we may not be giving close enough attention to the case.
The law I was reffering to is called the "Mann Act"

It was enacted in 1910, with the intent of outlawing White Slavery. It also allows for the prosecution of certain types of crimes on interstate-commerce grounds, prostitution being one of them.

http://www.nysun.com/article/72642
http://marriage.about.com/cs/teenmarriage/g/mannact.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Act

Some info on the historical use of the Mann Act, and it's modern usage: http://www.answers.com/topic/mann-act?cat=biz-fin

A Mann Act prosecution for Prostitution is pretty much unheard of since the 70s, and hasn't been used in more than a handful of cases for this purpose since the 1950s.

As for people he pissed off, I don't think there's any doubt there. Wall Street is dancing in the streets! He went on a personal crusade of moral righteousness as a prosecutor, and nailed a lot of people for relatively minor ethics violations. He also did a more than his fair share when it came to prosecution of those involved in organized crime.

As for ties between this organization and the Mob, that's impossible to prove in court unless someone squeals. It's very rare to see an organized crime trial, where the made man admits that organized crime even exists.

Given the volume of money involved, and the high-profile clients, I find it quite likely personally that this organization was tied to, or run by organized criminals, which makes Spitzer's actions that much more ironic.

Of course he shouldn't stay in! I don't think I said or implied anything along those lines. He'll be resigning shortly, and that's the right thing to do. It would be bad for the politics of the state of New York if he stayed in. Nothing would get done for the remainder of his term.

Personally, I could care less whether or not someone uses prostitutes, it's not even illegal in most places in the world, our laws are kind of backwards in that regard, as they are when it comes to most victimless crimes.

That said, it's pretty clear this clown needs to go. It's pretty clear from his actions that he has some sort of complex, based on the vast disparity between his private actions and public actions, and he broke the law. He has no place being a goobernator any longer.
      03-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
A Mann Act prosecution for Prostitution is pretty much unheard of since the 70s, and hasn't been used in more than a handful of cases for this purpose since the 1950s.
Thanks for the links. Maybe I will get a chance to read them tonight. Why do you suppose the Mann Act has not been utilized in prostitution cases much in the last few decades?
      03-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
Thanks for the links. Maybe I will get a chance to read them tonight. Why do you suppose the Mann Act has not been utilized in prostitution cases much in the last few decades?
Well, mianly because there are better laws on the books for it locally. Federally prostitution cases are very rare now a days, and usually deal more with the organization of a large ring than with individual customers.

Usually, it's local authorities that would charge Johns. Even at the local level, it's usually more the pimps that have the book thrown at them than the johns.

I think the intent with Spitzer here it to make an example out of him, as much as anything else. "If you screw with us, expect to pay!" Ironically the fines for violating the Mann Act are tiny, 5,000 at most.

It's typically only used in the investigation of people smugglers, because in those cases it provides a good way to "open the door" to more serious investigation, and charges.

I don't expect the Mann Act thing to actually happen in this case. What they're really trying to do is nail him on the use of taxpayer monies for this, which would be a much more serious crime, but given how wealthy he is, it's likely that he paid out of pocket. Though it's come out that he spent over 80,000 on hookers, which is a TON of cash.

We'll have to see. He's about to resign, but I expect this to stay in the public eye. Americans LOVE busting crooked politicians, especially after they elect them in landslide victories.