BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #23
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
74

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arcadia, California


Posts: 6,327
iTrader: (56)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to E90330iS Send a message via MSN to E90330iS Send a message via Skype™ to E90330iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
That's nuts. Only in New York City.
It's in Hollywood man.
__________________
1. E90 325i/328i/330i Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 76mm (Used for 30000 miles) $680 OBO
2. E90 M3 Jet Black Front Bumper $120 OBO
3. E90 M3 Style CF Trunk Spoiler $80 OBO
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #24
montreal red
chris
Canada
146

 
montreal red's Avatar
 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 12,127
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
It's not illegal unless he didn't disclose it. Many, many dealers (not just BMW!) do this, and it's perfectly legal to have a market adjustment. It's just that the markup isn't usually so big. It will go down over time, and the dealer and purchasers know that. In the meantime, there are some buyers willing to pay an additional $30K to get it now.

As for your water/storm analogy, that's generally not illegal, either. Profiteering at others' expense may be immoral, but it's generally not illegal.
+1
there's nothing illegal bout this...
but i'd rather get an m5 or m6 if an m3 is going to cost that much...
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #25
cncmastr
Captain
United_States
8

 
cncmastr's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 318is, E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toms River, NJ


Posts: 657
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 BMW 330Ci  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330Ci  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to cncmastr
The dealer in Irvine, CA added k to the car. The car tops out a 70k (it's loaded to the gills) they added 25k market adjustment. I think its a disgrace adn shitty business practice.
__________________
2006 Interlagos Blue BMW ///M3 | ZCP | Xenon | Nav | Premium | M Texture Alcantara
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #26
Stinger
Major
United_States
32

 
Stinger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern California


Posts: 1,039
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [3.50]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
After reading these comments, I recalled my own experience with dealer markup. I was looking into Mustang GT500 convertibles last year when I was considering my 335i convertible. The Ford dealers were asking $70-$80k for a GT500 convertible, every dealer I looked at around the country was doing this. Just crazy. So, I bought my 335i. My local Ford dealer doing the markup wouldn't even let me test drive the one he had because he knew I wouldn't pay the markup (I told him I'd wait until the hype was over if he wouldn't do MSRP, oops should've shut my mouth.) Anyway, no big deal. I'm very happy with my 335i convertible and am glad I didn't do the Mustang thing even at MSRP. The BMW is light years ahead of the Mustang.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #27
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
69

 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa


Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
if there is a dumbshit willing to pay over 25k over, why not charge it? capitalism
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #28
Jinxter
Lieutenant
14

 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California


Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

The 30k markup is designed for a person to go into that dealership and offer 15k over to walk out with teh vehicle that same day. The dealer will be happy with 15k over and the customers feels like they got a deal "wow only half the markup?!?!"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
gbb357
Captain
23

 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York


Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FikseGTS View Post
That was from you bro, my bad. I just saw it from another forum, mad props to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #30
ChrisFastM3
Captain
25

 
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 676
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Actually this is illegal i believe. You cant say supply and demand. This is called ripping people off for no reason.

Same as if there was a storm and just cus you have water you sell it for 10$ a glass.

It's wrong and pretty sure illegal. So fuck that dealer i hope BMW gives them a warning or doesnt send them anymore M3's.
It is not illegal. 100% sure
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
rvacha
Captain
United_States
9

 
rvacha's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH


Posts: 745
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
why pay 30k when dealers across the usa would gladly take 10k over msrp.
just wait 4 months,, it will be MSRP.
Actually a lot of dealers will gladly take MSRP - right now
__________________

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #32
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
177

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,786
iTrader: (1)

Does anyone really pay that? Even if your pockets are loaded, I just don't understand why you'd pay the markup when there are cars sitting on lots accross the country available at MSRP. Would someone with that much money to burn really be so completely unaware of the market climate? Surely they must have some business sense to have a bankroll like that.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #33
gblansten
Beandoc
United_States
28

 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb


Posts: 2,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Actually this is illegal i believe. You cant say supply and demand. This is called ripping people off for no reason.

Same as if there was a storm and just cus you have water you sell it for 10$ a glass.

It's wrong and pretty sure illegal. So fuck that dealer i hope BMW gives them a warning or doesnt send them anymore M3's.
So you think that the force of government should intervene in the market and prevent the wealthy from paying a given asking price for a product when there is absolutely no situation of duress like a natural disaster?

That's a poor analogy.

That would be a poor use of government power IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
101

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
East Bay in Pleasanton CA, had one marked up $5,000. Already sold, MSRP was $70,xxx even at sticker that seems like alot for a 3
3 is just a number. Would you feel better if it was the same car, just called a 9 series? Likewise, a V8 414bhp engine is alot of engine for a 3 as well. Your getting alot of car for that $70k.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #35
zacktown
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2007 750LI, 2008 m3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Center BMW, which is less than 5 miles away is only asking 5k over. Shelly BMW which is 20 miles away is asking 5k over as well. Nick Alexander BMW, which is 20 miles away "will take 10 over".

If you are an idiot like me, 5k over aint so bad for the convenience and getting the EXACT car that you want. However, 5k over on 56k doesn't sound as good as 5k over on 71k. Percentages...

As a side note, be prepared, you can't drive more than a couple miles without someone asking you about your car (at least here in L.A.)

Last edited by zacktown; 03-10-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: omission
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #36
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: 2006 BMW M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX


Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
It's not illegal unless he didn't disclose it. Many, many dealers (not just BMW!) do this, and it's perfectly legal to have a market adjustment. It's just that the markup isn't usually so big. It will go down over time, and the dealer and purchasers know that. In the meantime, there are some buyers willing to pay an additional $30K to get it now.

As for your water/storm analogy, that's generally not illegal, either. Profiteering at others' expense may be immoral, but it's generally not illegal.
I think both of you are wrong. It IS illegal to price gouge on ESSENTIALS during times of crisis. Like gas, water, milk, bread, etc.
That said, a BMW is a luxury item and not an essential item so it is not considered price gouging.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #37
OC 335i
General
United_States
250

 
OC 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 335D E90
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine/Aliso Viejo, CA


Posts: 18,119
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to OC 335i Send a message via MSN to OC 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
why pay 30k when dealers across the usa would gladly take 10k over msrp.
just wait 4 months,, it will be MSRP.
I think most people are interpreting the Mark-Up wrong. If it's marked up 30k, it means that they really don't care about selling it. They want it in the dealer showroom. The mark-up generates attention. The will lower it when they really want to move it. As for right now, it doesn't look like they care. But they will move it if someone is willing to throw money at them. No problem in that.
__________________

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #38
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
92

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC


Posts: 7,918
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
I think both of you are wrong. It IS illegal to price gouge on ESSENTIALS during times of crisis. Like gas, water, milk, bread, etc.
That said, a BMW is a luxury item and not an essential item so it is not considered price gouging.
Not to belabor the point, but I hate being told I'm wrong when I'm not. You're absolutely right that many states have laws to restrict price hikes when an emergency or disaster is declared. Only about half the states do, though, and there's no federal law directly addressing it. When I said it was "generally not illegal," I meant that in general, you can raise the price on something, even essentials, to match the market rate. How much you can raise it will vary from state to state.

In any case, it's a horrible analogy and I agree that BMWs are another case entirely. While I'm sure dealers have some pricing restrictions in their franchise agreements, obviously BMW dealers are not restricted from adding "market adjustments" to the price.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #39
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: 2006 BMW M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX


Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Not to belabor the point, but I hate being told I'm wrong when I'm not. You're absolutely right that many states have laws to restrict price hikes when an emergency or disaster is declared. Only about half the states do, though, and there's no federal law directly addressing it. When I said it was "generally not illegal," I meant that in general, you can raise the price on something, even essentials, to match the market rate. How much you can raise it will vary from state to state.

In any case, it's a horrible analogy and I agree that BMWs are another case entirely. While I'm sure dealers have some pricing restrictions in their franchise agreements, obviously BMW dealers are not restricted from adding "market adjustments" to the price.
You're right. Not all states have that law and the federal law is currently just going through the senate.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #40
rvacha
Captain
United_States
9

 
rvacha's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH


Posts: 745
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
I think most people are interpreting the Mark-Up wrong. If it's marked up 30k, it means that they really don't care about selling it. They want it in the dealer showroom. The mark-up generates attention. The will lower it when they really want to move it. As for right now, it doesn't look like they care. But they will move it if someone is willing to throw money at them. No problem in that.
I guess I'm old fashioned, but we used to do it by placing a "Not For Sale" tag on it. The difference is that market value says that it IS for sale if the profit level is attractive enough. They definitely care about selling it, even right this minute
__________________

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #41
OC 335i
General
United_States
250

 
OC 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 335D E90
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine/Aliso Viejo, CA


Posts: 18,119
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to OC 335i Send a message via MSN to OC 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacha View Post
I guess I'm old fashioned, but we used to do it by placing a "Not For Sale" tag on it. The difference is that market value says that it IS for sale if the profit level is attractive enough. They definitely care about selling it, even right this minute
30k indicates they are not desperate by any means.
__________________

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #42
CivicCoupe06
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 2006 Civic Coupe; soon E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA


Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

$30,000 Market Adjustment !!!!!!

http://jalopnik.com/365956/first-200...ked-up-to-100k
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #43
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
16

 
chicagobimmerboy's Avatar
 
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs


Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

That's harsh! two of those an you could buy my Ford!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #44
MShift
Private
United_States
0

 
Drives: Supercharged 370Z
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami


Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to MShift
exactly, I think BMW is in for a surprise..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST