BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
E90post marketplace NOT Ebay!

I thought it would be great to add a new rule to the marketplace. Some people are ruining it and making it a bidding war and whoever bids the highest takes it. This is not Ebay where you sell to the highest bidder, if you want people to bid for it, then sell it on ebay.

I find it really unfair that a member lists a part for sale and because he has a lot of hits and some offer him more then what he listed, he will keep raising the price. You should just set a price that you are willing to let it go for and if someone agrees to the price then you sell it to him. It seems that some people dont know the first thing about good business practices.

If you want to just put your part out and get a sense of how much it is worth before you sell it, then put a feeler thread up. But when you put a FS thread and put a specific price you want for it, you should be held responsible to what you are asking for it.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
I know im not the only one that feels this way as well. Here are just a few threads where people are making there FS thread into a bidding war and people agreeing with me that this is not fair.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121645
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124561
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122005

There is plenty more, these are just a few that i remember/found off the top of my head.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
 
AoshichanX's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Claremont, CA

Posts: 3,103
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via ICQ to AoshichanX Send a message via AIM to AoshichanX Send a message via MSN to AoshichanX Send a message via Yahoo to AoshichanX Send a message via Skype™ to AoshichanX
In the very least:

If better offers are made, seller should not flaunt or advertise but PM other potential interested parties for counter offers.
Feeler threads should be used to gauge interest and demand.
Some of threads turned auctions are just ludicrous.
AoshichanX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
e92phreak
General
 
e92phreak's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA

Posts: 21,745
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [4.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
I completely agree with this. I was stuck in a bidding war for some wheels in the past... Not saying the seller was wrong, because the seller is entitled to a fair price... but every day, I would wake up, only to find out that I was "outbid" *sigh*...
__________________
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
e92phreak is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Desi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Posts: 442
iTrader: (4)

I know in some other forums I am on your thread will be deleted unless you post a firm price in your post. In said forums, you are allowed to sell for less so you do sometimes get people making offers and others one-upping them.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

EDIT: Would a requirement for For Sale threads that are set up as auctions to have a deadline help? I mean, maybe allow for auction sale threads but 7 Calender Days after the thread is started, it is locked and the highest offer stands. Perhaps an "auctions" sub-forum? I'm sure there is a vBulletin plug in or script that could make this forum automated to decrease the added strain on mods..
__________________
2014 BMW 435i XDrive M-Sport - Delivered May 2014
2007 BMW 323i - Delivered April 2007
Desi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Thanks for the support guys. Hopefully more people will chime in and the Admins will make a new rule to prevent this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
I know in some other forums I am on your thread will be deleted unless you post a firm price in your post. In said forums, you are allowed to sell for less so you do sometimes get people making offers and others one-upping them.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.
I know what you mean, i really like how s2ki does it. They dont take any crap. If you dont put up a price then close/delete your thread no questions asked. I can understand taking the highest offer if the price you listed for is not met (i.e you say you want 200 for the part and someone offers you 150 but you sell it to another guy offering you 180) but if someone gives you the price you are asking for, how can you try to rip them off and say "ok i got xxx price, who will give me more?"

The price you set should be the price you are going willing let it go for. PERIOD. If someone offers you something close to the price you want and you think its fair, then by all means sell it. But forcing people into a bidding contest higher then what you asked for is ridiculous.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
 
McLuVan's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

Posts: 13,120
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I thought it would be great to add a new rule to the marketplace. Some people are ruining it and making it a bidding war and whoever bids the highest takes it. This is not Ebay where you sell to the highest bidder, if you want people to bid for it, then sell it on ebay.

I find it really unfair that a member lists a part for sale and because he has a lot of hits and some offer him more then what he listed, he will keep raising the price. You should just set a price that you are willing to let it go for and if someone agrees to the price then you sell it to him. It seems that some people dont know the first thing about good business practices.

If you want to just put your part out and get a sense of how much it is worth before you sell it, then put a feeler thread up. But when you put a FS thread and put a specific price you want for it, you should be held responsible to what you are asking for it.
+1
put ur shit on ebay if u wanna auction
__________________
McLuVan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,748
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
I do agree, I'll bring it up with the rest. We were also thinking of a minimum posts rule before one qualifies to post an FS listing in the marketplace. Thanks
__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
I assume you made this post because someone offered more money for something you wanted to buy. It's their right to sell it for as much as they can get for it.


Next time you buy a car I assume you will simply pay retail rather then shopping around for the lowest price. It's the same principle you're complaining about.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
amazzzin
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Agreed.

Whoever gets dibs, wins it in my book...

People can CALL 2nd dibs, and so so on..... but only if the 1st buyer falls thru.

Fanatics screwing other fanatics to make a quick buck....

As for TT, I can them for you brand new for 510$ shipped.... (shipping is like 20$) ....

Always out to help fellow modders
 
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
amazzzin
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I assume you made this post because someone offered more money for something you wanted to buy. It's their right to sell it for as much as they can get for it.


Next time you buy a car I assume you will simply pay retail rather then shopping around for the lowest price. It's the same principle you're complaining about.

Logic makes no sense.... Thats like comparing a plane to a car. A car is 50K$ and you know the dealer is trying to make a buck off you.. Most of these FS threads are for.. 5$-2.5$ .... Move it to EBAY.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEOVR View Post

Logic makes no sense.... Thats like comparing a plane to a car. A car is 50K$ and you know the dealer is trying to make a buck off you.. Most of these FS threads are for.. 5$-2.5$ .... Move it to EBAY.
Makes perfect sense. The sellers are shopping around for the best buyer while you shop around for the best seller.

You can't say its fair one way and not the other. So unless you never shop around for the best price you shouldn't be throwing stones at people doing the same thing.


Oh and ebay has fees and is full of crooks, it's also a PITA to use sometimes.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
amazzzin
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Makes perfect sense. The sellers are shopping around for the best buyer while you shop around for the best seller.

You can't say its fair one way and not the other. So unless you never shop around for the best price you shouldn't be throwing stones at people doing the same thing.


Oh and ebay has fees and is full of crooks, it's also a PITA to use sometimes.
Yeah ebay has fees and is a PITB sometimes, I agree, but it's more logical to put your stuff on EBAY if you want to obtain the highest offer. Other forums, use the 'dibs' system. You set a price and stick with it, you don't set a price and get offered higher, and then keep going higher, makes no sense to the people buying it. I mean, I see some prices on the SSTT get up to about 475$, you can get a new one for 485$........

Price shopping on vendors in my book is different. On this board and past board the vendors are usually up to no good, so I price shop and talk them down to my lowest I got.... On vendors do HW, but on used shit, ebay status is a waste....

but to each his own..... bad business practices.
 
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
I can't believe what you're saying. If you don't like it don't buy it. Buy it new. IDC but who are you to tell people they can't try to get the highest price they can. It's their stuff they can do what they want.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
Vegas_Sirk
Its All About The Offset
 
Vegas_Sirk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation: Vegas

Posts: 3,544
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Vegas_Sirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I thought it would be great to add a new rule to the marketplace. Some people are ruining it and making it a bidding war and whoever bids the highest takes it. This is not Ebay where you sell to the highest bidder, if you want people to bid for it, then sell it on ebay.

I find it really unfair that a member lists a part for sale and because he has a lot of hits and some offer him more then what he listed, he will keep raising the price. You should just set a price that you are willing to let it go for and if someone agrees to the price then you sell it to him. It seems that some people dont know the first thing about good business practices.

If you want to just put your part out and get a sense of how much it is worth before you sell it, then put a feeler thread up. But when you put a FS thread and put a specific price you want for it, you should be held responsible to what you are asking for it.
+1,000

I am personally fed up with the biding wars and some peoples poor attitudes when selling items.
__________________

AKA M3This (changed my user name ) | M3 Build Thread | E61 Build Thread
Vegas_Sirk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #16
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I assume you made this post because someone offered more money for something you wanted to buy. It's their right to sell it for as much as they can get for it.


Next time you buy a car I assume you will simply pay retail rather then shopping around for the lowest price. It's the same principle you're complaining about.
umm, no. I made this post because i saw someone (who i dont know so its not like im defending a friend) call dibs on a item that they thought was xxx amount. And then he was excited and ready to paypal any minute so he could recieve the item faster. Next thing he knows, the guy told him he is not going to sell it to him because someone offered him more and wanted to know if he will top the price.

I think its BS because if you set a price and agreed to sell it for that price, you should keep to your word. If you wanted to gauge interest on how much your part is worth, thats what feeler threads are for. If you wanted to get more for your part, then dont put it up at such a low amount and start a bidding war till the price you want is reached. Like i said before, For Sale threads is for the seller to put a part on the market and put a price on how much he will sell it for.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #17
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
For Sale threads is for the seller to put a part on the market and put a price on how much he will sell it for.
That's just something you're making up. It does not say that in the rules.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #18
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
That's just something you're making up. It does not say that in the rules.
lol, you must not read because the whole reason im making this thread IS SO they can make this a rule.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
lol, you must not read because the whole reason im making this thread IS SO they can make this a rule.
Communist.
__________________
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #20
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
LOL im Taiwanese. Our people ran from communist China!!!
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #21
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,280
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
I do agree, I'll bring it up with the rest. We were also thinking of a minimum posts rule before one qualifies to post an FS listing in the marketplace. Thanks
Thank you
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
KL2DC
Moderator
 
KL2DC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 17,748
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
I'm clearly a new forum member, and don't have the intention of selling anything at the moment... but I fail to see the causal link between post count and marketplace ethics/reliability. Only a proven track record of incident free buying/selling can do that, hence ebay's vendor feedback system. Additionally, depending on the minimum you choose, putting that rule into effect only helps/encourages post whores.


Andrew
Nothing definite yet, but we were considering such measures/suggestions spurred by a few requests from fellow members. The FS marketplace is hosted by this community for the community. True, there isn't a causal link between post count and marketplace ethics. But some folks feel a tad 'poached' when new members show up from nowhere hawking their stuff as opposed to someone who is recognized as a member of their community. At the end of the day, its the community that matters imho.

Wrt bidding, of course a seller has every right to sell at the best price they can get, but there are just better ways to word their listings or structure their FS thread. I think that is all the OP is hinting at. This goes back to the whole 'community' idea/concept of which we are all a part of.

My $0.02. Views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the admins and other moderators.

__________________

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
KL2DC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST