BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
49
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
wheel companies??

I really need a primer on aftermarket wheel companies. I have not purchased any aftermarket rims before (not counting my snow tires)

Who are the quality companies? Who is over-hyped? And who should I stay away from?

I really have no objective way to judge rims?? Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Bemve
Second Lieutenant
Bemve's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: AW/FR e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mtl

iTrader: (0)

I personally love HRE
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
I really need a primer on aftermarket wheel companies. I have not purchased any aftermarket rims before (not counting my snow tires)

Who are the quality companies? Who is over-hyped? And who should I stay away from?

I really have no objective way to judge rims?? Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The best wheel company you've never heard of is RAC. Stands for Ralph and Chuck. These two E46 enthusiasts that used to hang out on the Roadfly board decided to create ultimate E46 M3 wheels and worked out a deal with Champion Motorsports to have one-pieces high pressure forged (8,000 ton) in Japan by the makers of Champion wheels (famous for their Porsche products). They did this as a side job.

The first wheel they produced was the Monolite RG4, a 19". It's based on the CSL wheel, but with more aggressive width (9'/10") and offsets, and crisper detailing. I've had mine about 4 years, and they are pretty light and very strong. They sold for $900-950 each back then, and were produced in exruciatingly small quantitites (maybe a couple hundred total). What they took the time to do was figure out the perfect fit and offset for the one particular car, which makes all the difference.

Thy went on to produce three other wheels for the E46 M3, the RG41, which was a deep dish style, and the RS110, a very lightweight 18" track wheel and the RG8. Later, wheels for the M5 and, now, I understand, even the Cayman. I will wait as long as I need to and pay whatever it takes to get some for the E92, which Ralph says they will produce when there is enough demand. Actually, the RG4s will probably fit fine; might take 5mm spacers in the front, but I hate spacers.

Being a tiny company, you kind of have to go with the flow, but what a product.

http://www.racmonolites.com/

Here are some pics of the RG4s on my car, and one of the RG41s.
Attached Images
    
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 03-03-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
R A C Monolites shep01
Captain
9
Rep
680
Posts

 
Drives: 1972 BMW 2002
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Heh, tell snook to get those nasty BBS caps off

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The best wheel company you've never heard of is RAC. Stands for Ralph and Chuck. These two E46 enthusiasts that used to hang out on the Roadfly board decided to create ultimate E46 M3 wheels and worked out a deal with Champion Motorsports to have one-pieces high pressure forged (80,000 ton) in Japan by the makers of Champion wheels (famous for their Porsche products). They did this as a side job.

The first wheel they produced was the Monolite RG4, a 19". It's based on the CSL wheel, but with more aggressive width (9'/10") and offsets, and crisper detailing. I've had mine about 4 years, and they are pretty light and very strong. They sold for $900-950 each back then, and were produced in exruciatingly small quantitites (maybe a couple hundred total). What they took the time to do was figure out the perfect fit and offset for the one particular car, which makes all the difference.

Thy went on to produce three other wheels for the E46 M3, the RG41, which was a deep dish style, and the RS110, a very lightweight 18" track wheel and the RG8. Later, wheels for the M5 and, now, I understand, even the Cayman. I will wait as long as I need to and pay whatever it takes to get some for the E92, which Ralph says they will produce when there is enough demand. Actually, the RG4s will probably fit fine; might take 5mm spacers in the front, but I hate spacers.

Being a tiny company, you kind of have to go with the flow, but what a product.

http://www.racmonolites.com/

Here are some pics of the RG4s on my car, and one of the RG41s.
Thanks for the kind words Greg. No doubt we will build the re-designed RG4 and the RG41 for exact fitments to the E92M3. When there is enough demand just hunt us down. The process is far more demanding now, and a bit costlier with the yen value against the dollar, but, we just finished a group for the Cayman (on caymanclub) using a RS98 ( Champions design). We far prefer our designs; way more detail in them, but thie Porsche wheel was a one time thing for us.

shep
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
532
Posts

 
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

BBS or RAC comes to mind. HRE's are too heavy and are extremely expensive for the quality you get.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
49
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the great information. I will keep these companies in mind...especially RAC given the response by the company
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
rvacha
Captain
rvacha's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
745
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep01 View Post
Thanks for the kind words Greg. No doubt we will build the re-designed RG4 and the RG41 for exact fitments to the E92M3. When there is enough demand just hunt us down. The process is far more demanding now, and a bit costlier with the yen value against the dollar, but, we just finished a group for the Cayman (on caymanclub) using a RS98 ( Champions design). We far prefer our designs; way more detail in them, but thie Porsche wheel was a one time thing for us.

shep
I'm SO happy to see you are alive and well!!!! What can we do to get the ball rolling now? How many people do you need to have committed to move forward?
__________________

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
marcos
Private First Class
marcos's Avatar
3
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: jerez m3 coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

What do people say about Breyton wheels?
__________________


e92 M3 Jerez Black, Fox Red Interior, Heated Seats, Satellite Radio, 18's
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Breyton Design wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos View Post
What do people say about Breyton wheels?
They seem to be a low to mid-range German alloy wheel company. Have some fairly nice designs. Not sure about quality or whether they have proper offsets for the M3.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
marcos
Private First Class
marcos's Avatar
3
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: jerez m3 coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
They seem to be a low to mid-range German alloy wheel company. Have some fairly nice designs. Not sure about quality or whether they have proper offsets for the M3.
Thanks!
__________________


e92 M3 Jerez Black, Fox Red Interior, Heated Seats, Satellite Radio, 18's
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
WallyE
e36e46e92e92
United_States
4
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 midnight blu/rust brwn
Join Date: May 2007
Location: central Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Gerg, what color waould you describe your wheels as? Some variation of silver or a gunmetal?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #12
Vickyy
Colonel
Taiwan
25
Rep
2,385
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 AW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: walnut, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vickyy
i would say BBS is what i like because of their quality. there are IForged and DPE as well that you can look into
__________________
E90 06 325. AW. BEIGE. CF WRAP. SMG KNOB. BLACKLINES. MTECH. HARTGE JAPAN REP LIP. ACS CF ROOF SPOILER. CSL TRUNK. KWV2. LE37.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
GewoW's Avatar
Greece
69
Rep
3,839
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
BBS or RAC comes to mind. HRE's are too heavy and are extremely expensive for the quality you get.
When you are unaware of the truth, please refrain from speaking non-sense. There ARE no better wheels than HRE, and they also HAPPEN to make some of, if not THE lightest (short of CF Dymags) wheels on the market...lighter than BBS too. Much.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #14
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
GewoW's Avatar
Greece
69
Rep
3,839
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
While HRE looks great, they have poor customer service and the wheels aren't that strong. I like BBS on german cars.
I've only heard good things off 6speed about them..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
532
Posts

 
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
When you are unaware of the truth, please refrain from speaking non-sense. There ARE no better wheels than HRE, and they also HAPPEN to make some of, if not THE lightest (short of CF Dymags) wheels on the market...lighter than BBS too. Much.
Thank's Mom, I'll have to remember that the next time I open my mouth. But... while we're bickering, here's why I'm right and you are not:

There are several sports car clubs that won't let your run HRE wheels in their events because they can bend from the extreme cornering (PCA in particular). Some of the HRE wheels also vibrate when it rains because they pick up water and hold it in the wheels, throwing off the balance. Comparatively, their weights are heavier than wheels that are truly forged - which HRE are not.

HREs are build in the same factory, on the same production line, and by the same people that made this Fiske wheel. So, enjoy getting bent over by bullshit marketing for wheels that look really good but are not superior in quality by any means. Have a nice day, sunshine.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by estesew View Post
Gerg, what color would you describe your wheels as? Some variation of silver or a gunmetal?
I had them repainted Porsche Arctic Silver, which in retrospect, is a little dark. I'm getting them repainted the stock Audi silver now, which is a little brighter than the BMW color.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #17
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
GewoW's Avatar
Greece
69
Rep
3,839
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
Thank's Mom, I'll have to remember that the next time I open my mouth. But... while we're bickering, here's why I'm right and you are not:

There are several sports car clubs that won't let your run HRE wheels in their events because they can bend from the extreme cornering (PCA in particular). Some of the HRE wheels also vibrate when it rains because they pick up water and hold it in the wheels, throwing off the balance. Comparatively, their weights are heavier than wheels that are truly forged - which HRE are not.

HREs are build in the same factory, on the same production line, and by the same people that made this Fiske wheel. So, enjoy getting bent over by bullshit marketing for wheels that look really good but are not superior in quality by any means. Have a nice day, sunshine.

Hey sunshine..yeah, about what you said:
1- I have checked PCA rules and there is nothing mentionned about this. Please direct me to the rules in question.
2- They HAVE been reported to break, and I was aware of that, but as of recently, I have heard no stories of this, and would appreciate if you can direct me to a recent occurence. All I have heard is that they are bend, like any other wheel, when hitting curbs at high speed. What a surprise.
3- Vibration when it rains...never heard of this but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
4- All their wheels are now forged. Don't believe me, visit their site or ask people... Also, for the wheels I am interested in (either monoblocks or competition series), they are fully forged and weigh the same if not less than any other 19'' wheel I know of, except for CF dymags and the like.
5- As for the factory. I know nothing of this, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt again.

Lastly, I would just like to point out that people move up in the world. Yes, there is no doubt that they WERE not so great, but you must surely believe in evolution. Now they are a company that is just as good, if not better, than any other wheel company, and their quality is excellent.

Sorry about my initial comment, yes, it was too abrupt.

Thank you.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
GewoW's Avatar
Greece
69
Rep
3,839
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Oh, and please...one added tidbit. Please explain to me why GMG racing uses HRE cup wheels for their Cup cars? I mean...I'm guessing they would like to have no structural rigidity, vibrations, and blowouts right?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
532
Posts

 
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Oh, and please...one added tidbit. Please explain to me why GMG racing uses HRE cup wheels for their Cup cars? I mean...I'm guessing they would like to have no structural rigidity, vibrations, and blowouts right?
I guess that depends on what their goals are

It sounds to me like HRE has recently got to act together if what you say is true. They will have a hell of a time changing their reputation though, as many motorheads think of them as the most gorgeous wheels on the market at the sacrifice of performance/durability/quality.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST