BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Stick to Clutch

03-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Read what I bolded up above.... Its because they have not hit record levels yet when you consider the past and adjust the past with inflation.
OK, I apologize. He is an economic genius. We're going to be fine.

When he took office gas price was $1.26/gal. Enough said.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      03-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #24
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor

Drives: Fast

Quote:

Now lets contrast this to say bottled water.. Sells for $1 the plastic bottle costs less than 10 cents and the water less than 2 cents... So on each bottle of water they are making a killing compare to oil.

Man, seriously stop comparing oil to bottled water. It's like apples and oranges. People don't *have* to drink bottled water, there are plenty of alternatives including tap water. You tell me another resource (and don't say ethanol because that is a pipe dream) that we can fill our tanks and go to work with. Oil industry is the largest monopolistic price setting industry in the world (OPEC anyone?). End of story. There is NO free market within the oil industry and thus no supply and demand in the traditional sense. The demand is variable but the supply is always always fixed depending on how much the profiteers would like to benefit at any given time.
      03-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #25
AndrewAZ
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Man, seriously stop comparing oil to bottled water. It's like apples and oranges. People don't *have* to drink bottled water, there are plenty of alternatives including tap water. You tell me another resource (and don't say ethanol because that is a pipe dream) that we can fill our tanks and go to work with. Oil industry is the largest monopolistic price setting industry in the world (OPEC anyone?). End of story. There is NO free market within the oil industry and thus no supply and demand in the traditional sense. The demand is variable but the supply is always always fixed depending on how much the profiteers would like to benefit at any given time.
Why is ethanol a pipe dream? Currently in my state we run 10% ethanol per gallon of gas, its one of the most viable alternatives since it requires current cars to have little more than the fuel lines replaced and thats it, most new cars have this planned out and can run on 100% ethanol. We also have new advances and instead of just using corn we can use any plant matter now with the advances made using termite enzymes. Plus your over looking the fact that the USA can produce the most agriculture of any country we currently pay aka subsides farmers not to plant since we have so much and it would flood the market.. But now the framers can farm again and growth crops for ethanol one of the crops being considered is some grass that can be easily converted.

Even then if its a monopoly basic economics states that supply and demand still dictate price. And based on your irrational statements you have never taken an economic class in your life. Since any first year business student would realize your statements are wrong.

And yes your right people dont need to buy bottled water.. And people dont need to buy oil. We just chose to since its currently the most economical thing.
      03-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #26
e90im
Brigadier General

Buying bottled water is NOT the most economical thing.
Attached Images

03-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #27
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Even then if its a monopoly basic economics states that supply and demand still dictate price. And based on your irrational statements you have never taken an economic class in your life. Since any first year business student would realize your statements are wrong.
Lol, maybe you should go back and read The Wealth of Nations.

I've had many years of econ and business. The oil monopolies are not simple monopolies but state sponsored monopolies. Our government sponsors them, helps them out and receives kickbacks from them in the form of campaign "donations" ,etc. Read this brief Wiki article about what Marx thought of State Monopoly Capitalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_capitalism

Consumers have no reasonable choice but to buy oil from the cartels out there because there is no free competition. The cartels walk a fine line. Not too much production or profits will decrease and not too little or they will wreck the world economy. It's akin to a crack dealer getting a person hooked the first time for free because he knows that person will be coming back to get another hit and the next time will not be free.

If ethanol is so viable ask yourself why we aren't using it already on a massive scale? Why with all this technology are we STILL dependant on foreign oil? Why don't we have long term plans to completly do away with oil? Answer: because our government and the oil cartels are making far too much money off of it.

"The monopolists, by keeping the market constantly understocked, by never fully supplying the effectual demand, sell their commo-dities much above the natural price."

The Wealth of Nations, Book I, Chapter VII
      03-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
OK, I apologize. He is an economic genius. We're going to be fine.

When he took office gas price was $1.26/gal. Enough said.
But don't you understand that the demand went 300% since he took the office... And incidentally, when China "exploded" in the late 90's, the demand somehow did not grow -- gas prices were fairly steady???

Also, don't you understand that it only affects us this way (300% increase) but no one else in the world...

He, and other Bush supporters will never look at this realistically and will accept any mumbo-jumbo that criminal tells them...
      03-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #29
AndrewAZ
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Lol, maybe you should go back and read The Wealth of Nations.

I've had many years of econ and business. The oil monopolies are not simple monopolies but state sponsored monopolies. Our government sponsors them, helps them out and receives kickbacks from them in the form of campaign "donations" ,etc. Read this brief Wiki article about what Marx thought of State Monopoly Capitalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_capitalism

Consumers have no reasonable choice but to buy oil from the cartels out there because there is no free competition. The cartels walk a fine line. Not too much production or profits will decrease and not too little or they will wreck the world economy. It's akin to a crack dealer getting a person hooked the first time for free because he knows that person will be coming back to get another hit and the next time will not be free.

If ethanol is so viable ask yourself why we aren't using it already on a massive scale? Why with all this technology are we STILL dependant on foreign oil? Why don't we have long term plans to completly do away with oil? Answer: because our government and the oil cartels are making far too much money off of it.

"The monopolists, by keeping the market constantly understocked, by never fully supplying the effectual demand, sell their commo-dities much above the natural price."

The Wealth of Nations, Book I, Chapter VII
We could say the same about power companies drug companies ect. Still your idea of monopolies is wrong.. I am not going to fight with you since you simply dont know..

Ethanol used to take more energy to produce it then you got out, but in the past 5-6 years and with advances in technology it is now viable. And this new method of producing ethanol aka cellulosic ethanol plants are growing in number and have been sponsored by government subsidies.

Just wait and see.. If you just replace 30% of our gas with ethanol we will almost cut 100% foreign oil.
      03-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #30
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
We could say the same about power companies drug companies ect. Still your idea of monopolies is wrong.. I am not going to fight with you since you simply dont know..

Ethanol used to take more energy to produce it then you got out, but in the past 5-6 years and with advances in technology it is now viable. And this new method of producing ethanol aka cellulosic ethanol plants are growing in number and have been sponsored by government subsidies.

Just wait and see.. If you just replace 30% of our gas with ethanol we will almost cut 100% foreign oil.
Never mind that the study clearly proves that ethanol is by far worse polutant than the gas...all for the money...

You guys and Bush-like people are f'n NUTS!
      03-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #31
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
endorses a fossil.
Reagan was pretty old too, yet he still managed to be our greatest recent President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      03-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #32
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Reagan was pretty old too, yet he still managed to be our greatest recent President.
for you probably the greatest -- for anyone normal, clearly the prez that completely runied the economy and finances of this country forever...
      03-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #33
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Reagan received frequent advise from an Astrologist. Thatís a scary fact.