BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
View Poll Results: Would you like to see Power Pulleys for the M3
Yes - Please develop Power Pulleys 22 78.57%
No 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Question Who would be interested in Power Pulleys for the M3?

First I have no financial interest in this....

Would people be interested in RPI or another company to develop an underdrive pulley for the S65 engine?

A similar product for the M5 / M6 S85 can be found here. This appears to be cheapest mod to get HP. 28 RWHP on the V10 for <$500.

Vote.... show them they should develop for the M3.

__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
inmotion
Lieutenant
 
inmotion's Avatar
 
Drives: where do I start?
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newport Coast, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

I'm sure Evosport's going to release it within months
__________________
E60 M5 Silverstone, Balloon White Gallardo Spider, Rosso Corsa F430, Audi CG Q7 Sportline, IS R8 before and DG R8 now, Basalt Black Carrera GT, SG M3 DCT, Orange GT3RS, IS CLK63 Black Series

On order: 2010 R8 V10
inmotion is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,487
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
First I have no financial interest in this....

Would people be interested in RPI or another company to develop an underdrive pulley for the S65 engine?

A similar product for the M5 / M6 S85 can be found here. This appears to be cheapest mod to get HP. 28 RWHP on the V10 for <$500.

Vote.... show them they should develop for the M3.

Stupid question--but why wouldn't the factory do this if it was easy hp? I assume you're driving all the accessories (alternator, steering pump, water pump, AC pump, etc.) slower. Doesn't sound like a good idea under some conditions. Never considered these so havn't looked into them.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Stupid question--but why wouldn't the factory do this if it was easy hp? I assume you're driving all the accessories (alternator, steering pump, water pump, AC pump, etc.) slower. Doesn't sound like a good idea under some conditions. Never considered these so havn't looked into them.

Can't say what compromises the factory made. I am unsure if the S65 V8 has an electric water pump but the S85 V10 is belt driven. The car does dyno better (+28 RWHP) at the expense of a slight temp increase.

in the M5 / M6's the slight increase in temp doesn't seem to affect anything and universally people think the engine revs quicker.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,487
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Can't say what compromises the factory made. I am unsure if the S65 V8 has an electric water pump but the S85 V10 is belt driven. The car does dyno better (+28 RWHP) at the expense of a slight temp increase.

in the M5 / M6's the slight increase in temp doesn't seem to affect anything and universally people think the engine revs quicker.
The water pump in the S65 is belt-driven; transmission cooler pump is electric. I guess I'm past the point of pushing things that far for a non-racing car. Ask me in a couple years, though!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The water pump in the S65 is belt-driven; transmission cooler pump is electric. I guess I'm past the point of pushing things that far for a non-racing car. Ask me in a couple years, though!

I am sure there will others who will take the risk where you will benefit from their experiences.

I am trying to get some positive data that I will forward onto the usual suspects. Hopefully, there will be more than one company to market at the same time so there is no gouging going on.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Epacy
Reincarnated
 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Depending on what systems people put in their cars, in place of the pricey DIRAC system, pulleys wouldn't be a good idea for them either.
There will definately be a market for them though.
__________________
Epacy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Oh one other thing..... I have been on the track with the Evosport pulleys and the car's temp was the same as the stock pulleys.
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,487
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Oh one other thing..... I have been on the track with the Evosport pulleys and the car's temp was the same as the stock pulleys.
You probably give up any overcapacity, so that might not be the case on a very hot day. If the US is getting BER, that may exasperate things on the electrical side.
I'm sure the factory designs for extreme conditions; I'm not comfortable cutting the margin for a few horsepower, myself, but each to his own.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Bennu
Colonel
 
Bennu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Posts: 2,176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I've heard both positive and negative things about using power pulleys. I wanted to install it on my e36 but decided it was not worth it for a daily driving car. Also if you have stereo/electric equipment its not a good idea.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Bennu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #11
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
 
chicagobimmerboy's Avatar
 
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Free HP! well almost free.
chicagobimmerboy is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
You probably give up any overcapacity, so that might not be the case on a very hot day. If the US is getting BER, that may exasperate things on the electrical side.
I'm sure the factory designs for extreme conditions; I'm not comfortable cutting the margin for a few horsepower, myself, but each to his own.

I remember reading somewhere, one of the most stressful tests was following a fast car around a racetrack, since it eliminates a lot of cool air flow.

So extrapolating, the solid engineering that goes into M cars, if M cars can survive this, they can take the water pump from being driven less hard
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Deathboy
Lieutenant
 
Deathboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cayman S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Locals only...

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Why not?
Deathboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST