BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
ChrisFastM3
Captain
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
25
Rep
676
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Wheel well gap question

Simple question,

How many inches is the gap in between the top of the fender and the tire with the optional 19's? I hope not as bad as my E46 M3..........

BTW, I ed with no luck. I hope I don't get beat up by the repost crew LOL


Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

The gap should be the same for the 18" and 19" wheels. I don't know how much it is though.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
it looks the same to me...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
///MML
Private First Class
///MML's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

I've only seen picture but guessing F 2.5-3", R 1.5-2". 18"/19" should be the same gap.
__________________
2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Novillo Leather | CF trim | M-DCT | Heated Seats| PDC | iPOD
Modifications| KW v3 | 19" BBS LM Champion Edition |Matte Grill |Clear Bra |50% tint | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Wheel gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
Simple question,

How many inches is the gap in between the top of the fender and the tire with the optional 19's? I hope not as bad as my E46 M3..........

BTW, I ed with no luck. I hope I don't get beat up by the repost crew LOL

Chris
BMWs, like most production cars, always leave enough room to mount chains at the rear. So, the gap is larger than optimum. I will be looking to lower slightly.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
ChrisFastM3
Captain
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
25
Rep
676
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

thanks for all the info guys

Anybody know the height for sure though? The reason why im asking is because I'm most likely getting aftermarket wheels & am wonderng if it's gonna need a drop (hope not, in fear of Fing w/ my EDC)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
///MML
Private First Class
///MML's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

If you keep 18/19" with the stock dimensions then it will look the same. There are several close up wheel pics on the net. I don't see much reason to change the tire dimensions. On the e46 M3's the tires were too narrow and many went with wider rubber and a lower aspect ratio but this did create more gap. The e92 M3 has wider rubber.

I plan on going with 10" rears so I will go with 275/35/19 vs 265/35/19 stock. If your not going with 20" then you should be fine if you like stock look. Personnaly I hate the stock gap so no EDC for me. I will put coilovers on with about 1" drop for better stance. If you ordered EDC your pretty much stuck with the gap (new springs are not an option, IMHO).
__________________
2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Novillo Leather | CF trim | M-DCT | Heated Seats| PDC | iPOD
Modifications| KW v3 | 19" BBS LM Champion Edition |Matte Grill |Clear Bra |50% tint | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
HeelToe
Major
HeelToe's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,183
Posts

 
Drives: Rapidly from A to B
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
2000 323Ci  [3.00]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2013 BMW 135is  [4.50]
Here are a couple close-ups. Hope they help with your question.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
If you keep 18/19" with the stock dimensions then it will look the same. There are several close up wheel pics on the net. I don't see much reason to change the tire dimensions. On the e46 M3's the tires were too narrow and many went with wider rubber and a lower aspect ratio but this did create more gap. The e92 M3 has wider rubber.
Many with the E46 went from 225 fronts to 245, and 255 to 275 in the rear. Going 20mm wider and .05 lower in aspect ratio results in virtually the same OD, so gap is not increased.

Quote:
I plan on going with 10" rears so I will go with 275/35/19 vs 265/35/19 stock.
Stock rears are 265/40, not 35. But, 275/35 is probably the way to go.

Quote:
If your not going with 20" then you should be fine if you like stock look. Personnaly I hate the stock gap so no EDC for me. I will put coilovers on with about 1" drop for better stance. If you ordered EDC your pretty much stuck with the gap (new springs are not an option, IMHO).
I agree that the stock stance and gap is not good. I think there will be aftermarket springs for the EDC shocks that will work fine, at least I hope so!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
///MML
Private First Class
///MML's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Hi Greg,

1) May need to clarify, although the rr is nearly unchanged the gap will look larger, it's more of an illusion. Trust me, when I changed my e46 to wider rubber with same rr as stock the gap looked larger.

2) 19" stock rears are 265/35

3) Good luck with springs but I think it might cost you a few bucks over the long hall for new EDC suspension components. Springs may do Ok for garage queen cars but not daily drivers. The physics will catch up with you eventually. Time will tell I guess....
__________________
2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Novillo Leather | CF trim | M-DCT | Heated Seats| PDC | iPOD
Modifications| KW v3 | 19" BBS LM Champion Edition |Matte Grill |Clear Bra |50% tint | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
Hi Greg,

1) May need to clarify, although the rr is nearly unchanged the gap will look larger, it's more of an illusion. Trust me, when I changed my e46 to wider rubber with same rr as stock the gap looked larger.
I agree with this. Lower profile tires demand lowering the car to look right.

Quote:
2) 19" stock rears are 265/35
You are correct.

Quote:
3) Good luck with springs but I think it might cost you a few bucks over the long hall for new EDC suspension components. Springs may do Ok for garage queen cars but not daily drivers. The physics will catch up with you eventually. Time will tell I guess....
Worst case, I'll be removing the EDC suspension and putting in coilovers. At least I'd have relatively new suspension to put back in for resale.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
///MML
Private First Class
///MML's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
I've only seen picture but guessing F 2.5-3", R 1.5-2". 18"/19" should be the same gap.
Ok, I saw the car yesterday an measured the wheel gap so can be a little more accurate. F 2.25", R 1.25"
__________________
2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Novillo Leather | CF trim | M-DCT | Heated Seats| PDC | iPOD
Modifications| KW v3 | 19" BBS LM Champion Edition |Matte Grill |Clear Bra |50% tint | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Ride height

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
Ok, I saw the car yesterday an measured the wheel gap so can be a little more accurate. F 2.25", R 1.25"
Typically, the way you measure ride height to be more accurate is:

1) Measure from fender lip to bottom of wheel.
2) Subtract 1/2 of wheel diameter.
3) Result is "ride height" from axle center. Typically rear dimension is smaller.

The reasons for this is its hard to measure accdurately to the top of the tire, and secondly, it take the tire diameter out of the equation.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
///MML
Private First Class
///MML's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Typically, the way you measure ride height to be more accurate is:

1) Measure from fender lip to bottom of wheel.
2) Subtract 1/2 of wheel diameter.
3) Result is "ride height" from axle center. Typically rear dimension is smaller.

The reasons for this is its hard to measure accdurately to the top of the tire, and secondly, it take the tire diameter out of the equation.
Your are correct greg. I used the finger width method so I guess the word accurate is a little relative but I can say it beats the picture guess. Car had 19"s BTW.
__________________
2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Novillo Leather | CF trim | M-DCT | Heated Seats| PDC | iPOD
Modifications| KW v3 | 19" BBS LM Champion Edition |Matte Grill |Clear Bra |50% tint | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST