BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GetBMWParts

02-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: f30

Who will McCain pick for VP position?

I've heard rumors about Charlie Crist. Anyone else hear anything?
Whoever he pics, their combined age better be <150.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I think Crist would be an excellent choice. He's a good moderate, would play well in purple states, and would virtually garuntee florida.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

scotty?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GTI

Larry King
for the Jewish vote

WHoever he picks, he has no choice.
Thanks W...again...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
scotty?
I'll wait and see. With the right pick, I might support the Republicans in the general election. With a running mate that doesn't inspire me, I will likely not support the Republican team in November. It's as simple as that. I don't know of any names that have been brought up that would inspire me except one that I have been promoting for the nomination or running mate position.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I'll wait and see. With the right pick, I might support the Republicans in the general election. With a running mate that doesn't inspire me, I will likely not support the Republican team in November. It's as simple as that. I don't know of any names that have been brought up that would inspire me except one that I have been promoting for the nomination or running mate position.
What does it take to inspire you?

Prohibit abortion, put 10 commandments in every public office, and displace all gays to Alaska?

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I think Crist would be an excellent choice. He's a good moderate, would play well in purple states, and would virtually garuntee florida.
Spoken like someone who doesn't live in Florida. Honestly, I voted for him as governor, which I kind of regret (still better than the alternative), as I do not like his approach to private enterprise. His strongarmed tactics with insurers here has done the populace no favors. Nothing makes insurers want to come into Florida more than a hostile business environment. Let market forces (ie, supply and demand) determine the cost of insurance; don't mandate lower rates when it's neither prudent nor actuarially sound to do so.

He'd probably be a good choice to win an election. But I have no idea what we'd get with McCain and him in office.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
What does it take to inspire you?

Prohibit abortion, put 10 commandments in every public office, and displace all gays to Alaska?
An inspiring politician is one with an established public policy actively promoting the Human Life Amendment and the marriage amendment. One who has consistently supported the Defense of Marriage Act. One who does not hate the opposition, yet stands firm on these principles. Citizens have many rights as guaranteed by the Constitution, and along with rights and freedom there is an implication of responsibility. There are consequences to wrong action. Society has a responsibility to regulate itself outside of government and to not be unduly hindered by government.

Inspiring is a politician who promotes entrepreneurism for the many rather than only protecting the interests of big business or labor. Taking action to promote legislation which favors the development of small business without regulating, taxing, and burdening them to the point of discouragement would inspire. With opportunity comes the potential for failure. Failure is a good teacher and should not be cushioned by nanny-state federal government.

A commander in chief who serves to protect U.S. national interests in cooperation with allies while not taking unilateral action except in the gravest of circumstances would calm fears. The enemy must be opposed, and armed military conflict outside the defense of U.S. borders must be under declaration of war.

An inpiring politician must be able to speak well in order to gain the attention of the citizens. The public is moved to action by their convictions, not so much by papers, spreadsheets, and data.

This is a start. There is much more that could be discussed.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16 View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn't live in Florida. Honestly, I voted for him as governor, which I kind of regret (still better than the alternative), as I do not like his approach to private enterprise. His strongarmed tactics with insurers here has done the populace no favors. Nothing makes insurers want to come into Florida more than a hostile business environment. Let market forces (ie, supply and demand) determine the cost of insurance; don't mandate lower rates when it's neither prudent nor actuarially sound to do so.

He'd probably be a good choice to win an election. But I have no idea what we'd get with McCain and him in office.
Regardless of whether or not I live in Florida (or agree with him on everything politically), he has nearly an 80% approval rating, heh. One can assume that'll make a difference in a florida election.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Regardless of whether or not I live in Florida (or agree with him on everything politically), he has nearly an 80% approval rating, heh. One can assume that'll make a difference in a florida election.
That's why I said he'd be a good choice to win an election. Problem is, he seems to be a bit left of center at times - and I'm a registered Democrat, but tend to be Libertarian in my view, if that says anything. A true Republican should promote a hands-off approach to business and let market forces decide, he has done everything but.

His meddling with the insurance industry could end up biting him in the a$$. As it is, there is very little capacity in the state and as a result of what he and the other legislators have done State Farm is nonrenewing 50K policies and is no longer writing any new property policies statewide as opposed to not writing in certain areas. The law of unintended consequences in action there. Sad part is, if he had just let things run their course, reinsurance rates would have come down and more players would have entered the arena due to the past two mild hurricane seasons. Mandating that companies lower their rates is the wrong way to go when it flies in the face of actuarially-sound rates. Besides, he has no control over reinsurance in the first place since the companies writing it are domiciled in places like Europe or Bermuda or the Caymans. They did do the only thing I thought they could do to bring reinsurance costs down and that was for the State to offer it. However, there are no funds yet available if there were to be a catastrophic loss. If you were an insurer, would you be willing to get reinsurance at a discount if you knew it wasn't funded and might not be able to pay if the big one hit? I'm allergic to bankruptcy, so as an insurer I'd be willing to pay more to ensure that my policyholders will be looked after and that my business would remain viable. In the end, if the proverbial $hit does hit the fan, the taxpayers will be left holding the bag.

Speaking of taxes, this is probably why he has such a high approval rating: property tax reform. I voted for it, if only for the portability of my homestead exemption. But, ultimately, the measure that recently passed amounts to a band-aid as it doesn't really address taxes for non-homesteaded properties (ie, rentals and businesses), which means that renters get squeezed annually and businesses have to charge more and more for goods and services as property values go up. In the end, he looks like a hero to people who have not bothered to actually read up on the subject, which appears to be about 80% of the populace.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
JBZ4
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2003 Z4

The chess game begins. Crist is quoted as favoring another Democratic primary in Florida. This would really put a final wow on the Democratic nomination, and yes Crist would make a formidable running mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0