BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

02-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Is Scientology A Religion?

IS SCIENTOLOGY A RELIGION?

That’s the question recently pondered over at a recent Hamburg meeting of top German security officials, prompted by the Secretary of the Interior, Udo Nagel. As a result, Germany could be asked to ban the U.S.-based Church of Scientology under a proposal that contends the group violates human rights. After looking into the facts about the Church of Scientology, the German government now considers it a commercial enterprise that takes advantage of vulnerable people. This last summer, it refused to allow the producers of a movie featuring movie star – and Scientology member – Tom Cruise to film at the site where Germany’s most famous anti-Hitler plotter, Colonel Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg, was executed following a failed attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944. Cruise plays the part of the aristocratic army officer.

The ban was withdrawn after the government received assurance from the producers that the memory and heroism of the colonel would be respected.

Pending agreement of all sixteen German states, the Interior Minister would be asked to initiate proceedings against the Church, asking that it be banned. A spokesperson for Scientology called this proposal "more than incomprehensible" and pointed out that the European Court of Human Rights ruled in favor of Scientology when Russia denied its application to register as a religious community.

Think of it: Scientologists – including intellectual giants like Tom Cruise, Chick Corea, Greta van Susteren, Isaac Hayes, Kirstie Alley, Lisa Marie Presley, and John Travolta – believe that they have the abilities to fly by mental power, to kill people with thoughts, and to move objects with will-power alone, and that science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard is/was the antichrist. They also believe Hubbard’s fantastic version of history – that 75 million years ago, Xenu, the dictator of an extragalactic civilization, was about to be deposed from power, and devised a plot to eliminate the excess population from his dominions. Using souped-up versions of DC8-like aircraft (?) he brought billions of his people to Teegeeack – as Earth was then known, we’re told – cleverly paralyzed them, lowered them into Earth’s volcanoes along with hydrogen bombs, and detonated the whole mess. Only a few of these aliens’ physical bodies, said Hubbard, survived, but the “essences” – souls – of all this vast crowd remained behind after vaporization, and these inhabit people in modern times, causing them spiritual damage. That’s what Scientology saves us from, folks.

Don’t look at me! That was Hubbard’s idea! It’s almost as mad as those ideas of virgin birth, immortality, resurrection, transubstantiation, angels, a 6,000-year-old Earth, and demons….
Attached Images

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      02-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD

Drives: 2006 E90

Religion is for the weak minds........
      02-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
e90im
Brigadier General

Tom Cruise Scientology Video

Some scary shit...

02-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
e90im
Brigadier General

Tom Cruise's Scientology Video from The Late Late Show

02-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
IS SCIENTOLOGY A RELIGION?

That’s the question recently pondered over at a recent Hamburg meeting of top German security officials, prompted by the Secretary of the Interior, Udo Nagel. As a result, Germany could be asked to ban the U.S.-based Church of Scientology under a proposal that contends the group violates human rights. After looking into the facts about the Church of Scientology, the German government now considers it a commercial enterprise that takes advantage of vulnerable people. This last summer, it refused to allow the producers of a movie featuring movie star – and Scientology member – Tom Cruise to film at the site where Germany’s most famous anti-Hitler plotter, Colonel Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg, was executed following a failed attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944. Cruise plays the part of the aristocratic army officer.

The ban was withdrawn after the government received assurance from the producers that the memory and heroism of the colonel would be respected.

Pending agreement of all sixteen German states, the Interior Minister would be asked to initiate proceedings against the Church, asking that it be banned. A spokesperson for Scientology called this proposal "more than incomprehensible" and pointed out that the European Court of Human Rights ruled in favor of Scientology when Russia denied its application to register as a religious community.

Think of it: Scientologists – including intellectual giants like Tom Cruise, Chick Corea, Greta van Susteren, Isaac Hayes, Kirstie Alley, Lisa Marie Presley, and John Travolta – believe that they have the abilities to fly by mental power, to kill people with thoughts, and to move objects with will-power alone, and that science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard is/was the antichrist. They also believe Hubbard’s fantastic version of history – that 75 million years ago, Xenu, the dictator of an extragalactic civilization, was about to be deposed from power, and devised a plot to eliminate the excess population from his dominions. Using souped-up versions of DC8-like aircraft (?) he brought billions of his people to Teegeeack – as Earth was then known, we’re told – cleverly paralyzed them, lowered them into Earth’s volcanoes along with hydrogen bombs, and detonated the whole mess. Only a few of these aliens’ physical bodies, said Hubbard, survived, but the “essences” – souls – of all this vast crowd remained behind after vaporization, and these inhabit people in modern times, causing them spiritual damage. That’s what Scientology saves us from, folks.

Don’t look at me! That was Hubbard’s idea! It’s almost as mad as those ideas of virgin birth, immortality, resurrection, transubstantiation, angels, a 6,000-year-old Earth, and demons….
My point exactly. Is Scientology bizarre? Absolutely. Is it any bizarrer than a religion based on dogmas like virgin birth, immortality, resurrection, miracles, etc.

What Christianism has for it is that it has been around for 2000 years as opposed to Scientology.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
      02-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
My point exactly. Is Scientology bizarre? Absolutely. Is it any bizarrer than a religion based on dogmas like virgin birth, immortality, resurrection, miracles, etc.

What Christianism has for it is that it has been around for 2000 years as opposed to Scientology.

I agree. However it's spelled Christianity.

02-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

No less valid than any other religion.
      02-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
I agree. However it's spelled Christianity.
Oops, my bad. I kept the french spelling without the trailing "e".

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
      02-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
No less valid than any other religion.
^ Thank you. I've been trying to bring this point across. All "religions" are ridiculous...however, some are more established than others...

02-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Neurorad
Major

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Quote:
Some scary shit...

I could only watch half of the video, but it sounds logical. Really.

If you strip away the magical thinking, he's talking about everyone pitching in to help everyone else.

I don't know a thing about Scientology, other than what's been written in this thread. But if you look at most religions, that's exactly what they all emphasize. Reach down to help others get up.

If it wasn't for the magical, ludicrous thinking...

Germany shouldn't ban Scientology without banning all other religions. It would be a step backward.
      02-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
whatever it is, it's a pretty damn good business!!!
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      02-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Neurorad
Major

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Quote:
^ Thank you. I've been trying to bring this point across. All "religions" are ridiculous...however, some are more established than others...
'Religions' are not ridiculous. There is a tremendous potential for improving personal well-being and interpersonal relationships. You completely disregard these benefits.

The essence of all major religions is compassion; this should be stressed more. Fix it, don't throw it out.

e90im - stop wasting your time
      02-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
'Religions' are not ridiculous. There is a tremendous potential for improving personal well-being and interpersonal relationships. You completely disregard these benefits.

The essence of all major religions is compassion; this should be stressed more. Fix it, don't throw it out.

e90im - stop wasting your time
The essence of all religions is belief without evidence, not compassion. One doesn’t to search far to find bizarre and cruel things in the scripture. This, I call ridiculous.

I DON’T need religion to be compassionate or to feel good. I stand by my statement. Religion is like a drug. If you are a user, you believe that it helps you cope with life.

Last edited by e90im; 02-25-2008 at 04:33 PM.
      02-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I could only watch half of the video, but it sounds logical. Really.

If you strip away the magical thinking, he's talking about everyone pitching in to help everyone else.

I don't know a thing about Scientology, other than what's been written in this thread. But if you look at most religions, that's exactly what they all emphasize. Reach down to help others get up.

If it wasn't for the magical, ludicrous thinking...

Germany shouldn't ban Scientology without banning all other religions. It would be a step backward.

You watched ½ the video and don’t know anything about Scientology…

I think the quality of your posts on this thread will improve if you do a quick research and watch the whole video.

02-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter

Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Religion is like a drug. If you are a user, you believe that it helps you cope with life.
Is that a quote from someone else?, since it's bold

but i totally agree with that line there...
      02-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
e90im
Brigadier General

It's not a quote. I'll fix it.

02-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
whatever it is, it's a pretty damn good business!!!
Is there a post scoreboard? Who is the record holder? Anyone with 30K posts?