BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Alpine HID

02-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #23
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Some suggest that a vote for Barak Obama is a vote for John McCain in November.

With his utter lack of executive experience and nearly no experience as a U.S. Senator, wouldn't Senator Obama pale on the stage when debating Senator John McCain?
I doubt it. That's the same argurment Billary tried to make, and he mudstomped her.

For that matter, I don't think McCain has much "executive" experience either.

I'm undecided between the two, leaning towards Obama at the moment. McCain's huge flip-flop on torture is what really pushed me towards Obama. I think he's trying to pander to the religious extremists, though I can't for the life of me figure why anyone who's a christian-extremist would be pro-torture.
      02-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #24
Carolyn0944
Private First Class

Drives: 08 335i cv blk sapph/saddle

Send a message via AIM to Carolyn0944
How many innocent people do you suppose were killed during WWI, WWII, Korean Conflict, Viet Nam, etc. There are always innocent casualties during war no matter where it is or why; there were Presidents in office during these conflicts as well; someone always has to take the blame for it; would you have had Japan take down our soldiers at Pearl Harbor and expect us to do nothing; would you have had Hitler slay thousands of Jews or anyone he felt did not belong in the world & stand by and do nothing about him, etc. etc....The only difference is we did not have the media in the middle of war displaying every negative pic & never showing the good we do in these places; reopening schools, hospitals, feeding the starving people; helping to rebuild. You cannot compare the loss of lives of our very own as well as Iraqi with the numbers we lost in WWII; but if these men had not given their lives for us; we would not have had the freedom we enjoy today. Literally 10's of 1,000's of our own soldiers died in England, France, Normandy; noone wants their sons and daughters blood shed on any soil.
      02-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn0944 View Post
How many innocent people do you suppose were killed during WWI, WWII, Korean Conflict, Viet Nam, etc. There are always innocent casualties during war no matter where it is or why; there were Presidents in office during these conflicts as well; someone always has to take the blame for it; would you have had Japan take down our soldiers at Pearl Harbor and expect us to do nothing; would you have had Hitler slay thousands of Jews or anyone he felt did not belong in the world & stand by and do nothing about him, etc. etc....The only difference is we did not have the media in the middle of war displaying every negative pic & never showing the good we do in these places; reopening schools, hospitals, feeding the starving people; helping to rebuild. You cannot compare the loss of lives of our very own as well as Iraqi with the numbers we lost in WWII; but if these men had not given their lives for us; we would not have had the freedom we enjoy today. Literally 10's of 1,000's of our own soldiers died in England, France, Normandy; noone wants their sons and daughters blood shed on any soil.

You're right. Clearly the only difference between the Iraq War and WWII is media coverage.
      02-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #26
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I doubt it. That's the same argurment Billary tried to make, and he mudstomped her.

For that matter, I don't think McCain has much "executive" experience either.

I'm undecided between the two, leaning towards Obama at the moment. McCain's huge flip-flop on torture is what really pushed me towards Obama. I think he's trying to pander to the religious extremists, though I can't for the life of me figure why anyone who's a christian-extremist would be pro-torture.
That's the first time I have heard McCain described as a religious extremist.

I penned this bit about a McCain and Obama debate because I was making a point (though not stated) that Mike Huckabee would have a much better chance of matching an Obama debate performance than the elderly John McCain. Also, it is very unlikely that Barak Obama would ever look pale next to John McCain's lilly white skin.

Mike Huckabee is the candidate who has the most relevant executive experience of anyone who ran for president this time around. He was Governor of Arkansas for 10-1/2 years! I am not aware of any executive experience for either Obama or McCain.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      02-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #27
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
That's the first time I have heard McCain described as a religious extremist.
I didn't. I said he was pandering to them.

Huckabee seems like a really nice guy, I like him, but in my humble opinion, he lets his religious beliefs get a little too close to his politics. A few comments he's made worried me, specifically about re-writting the constitution so it would be right with "God's Law", and also some of his comments about evolution. As a friend of mine who works at Argon Nat'l said "There shall be no Religious test for office, but I think anyone who doesn't believe in Evoltuion should be automatically disqualified."

I don't want to turn this into an evolution arguement, just stating my opinion, I know others feel differently.

That said, I'd still pick him over Billary (or the current Pres) in a heartbeat.
      02-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #28
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
You're right. Clearly the only difference between the Iraq War and WWII is media coverage.
We're talking World War vs. attack on a sovereign country without the UN support and approval???
Are you out of your Christian mind?

The whole world stood against the 3rd Reich to defend itself.
Iraq case is a self fulfilment by a Texan cowboy that not only cost Iraqi and US/British troops lives but also the financial future of this country and diplomatic relations with the rest of the world.

Those two cannot even remotely be compared...
      02-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #29
E82tt6
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
We're talking World War vs. attack on a sovereign country without the UN support and approval???
Are you out of your Christian mind?

The whole world stood against the 3rd Reich to defend itself.
Iraq case is a self fulfilment by a Texan cowboy that not only cost Iraqi and US/British troops lives but also the financial future of this country and diplomatic relations with the rest of the world.

Those two cannot even remotely be compared...
I was being sarcastic. That was my point.

And I'm not a Christian.
      02-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #30
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn0944 View Post
Literally 10's of 1,000's of our own soldiers died in England, France, Normandy
I'd be surprised if any US soldiers were killed in combat in England. Perhaps in drunken bar brawls. Where exactly is the country of Normandy?
Jaws is offline   Canada
      02-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Stephen Harper is the current Prime Minister of Canada who is in the Conservative party. I think he's doing a very good job. He was much better than Paul Martin and Jean Chretien. I always voted Democrat, but for the next federal election, I will probably vote for Conservative.
How do you vote Democrat?
Jaws is offline   Canada
      02-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #32
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Last I checked Canadians can't vote in the US.
Lots of people in Canada vote in US elections. They're called Americans.
Jaws is offline   Canada
      02-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #33
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Lots of people in Canada vote in US elections. They're called Americans.
Yes and lots of people in Canada do not vote in US elections. They're called Canadians.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      02-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #34
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. That was my point.

And I'm not a Christian.
I know you're not...
Sorry, the post was for Carolyn, not you...
      02-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #35
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I'd be surprised if any US soldiers were killed in combat in England. Perhaps in drunken bar brawls. Where exactly is the country of Normandy?
      02-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #36
Couch
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
At this point there is no one I can see to vote for.

They're all one in the same in the end.

Maybe I can write in to vote for Bugs Bunny.

The biggest problem I see is that none of them, as usual, have given actual ways they are going to help turn things around. And what exactly their ideas define.

It's pathetic, because people are going to vote for someone based on "well he's young and black", or "She's a women", or "He's a veteran POW."

It's a damn shame. This will be one of the biggest turns outs ever, and no one even knows what any of their true ideals and intentions are.
      02-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #37
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
At this point there is no one I can see to vote for.

They're all one in the same in the end.

Maybe I can write in to vote for Bugs Bunny.

The biggest problem I see is that none of them, as usual, have given actual ways they are going to help turn things around. And what exactly their ideas define.

It's pathetic, because people are going to vote for someone based on "well he's young and black", or "She's a women", or "He's a veteran POW."

It's a damn shame. This will be one of the biggest turns outs ever, and no one even knows what any of their true ideals and intentions are.
I can't agree with you. All the candidates have VERY detailed information about their visions for America, their positions on issues and plans for dealing with all them on their respective websites. All you need to do is take a look.

I do agree that most people won't bother to do even that. Not the candidate's fault though.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      02-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #38
Couch
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
I can't agree with you. All the candidates have VERY detailed information about their visions for America, their positions on issues and plans for dealing with all them on their respective websites. All you need to do is take a look.

I do agree that most people won't bother to do even that. Not the candidate's fault though.
I know it's detailed on their websites.

I was referring to during their speeches. I should have been more clear on that.

I've made attempts to watch at least 30 minutes of each debate and maybe I didn't hear them. Just haven't seen the outline more clearly their plans during so.

This Hillary/Obama bickering back and forth is pretty funny.