BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #23
JPH
Second Lieutenant
 
JPH's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I can't agree more with you. And the problem with anthracite is that it has a "brownish" tone that it's definetely not sporty. A black wood would have been nice. Brown with fox red interior:

Now, nobody mentioned the titanium shadow. It's the standard trim, and seems to be quite neutral. Seems to match the fox red.

I was going to order the premium pack just for the carbon leather trim, but after I saw TS, that was it.
Keep in mind that the "Fox Red" is really more "Fox Brown" or "Fox Brick Red" from all accounts. So, a small amount of brown in a wood trim may look perfect. Or, admitedly, it may be a complete disaster. Either way, there is not much real wood grain or tone in the sycamore anthracite and...can be painted any color.
JPH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #24
drvai
Major
 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Keep in mind that the "Fox Red" is really more "Fox Brown" or "Fox Brick Red" from all accounts. So, a small amount of brown in a wood trim may look perfect. Or, admitedly, it may be a complete disaster. Either way, there is not much real wood grain or tone in the sycamore anthracite and...can be painted any color.
That's why I wouldn't order the Syncamore/fox red without checking that out in real life.
drvai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 01:33 AM   #25
Ronno111
Private First Class
 
Ronno111's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 MB E63S-AMG/ 2014 X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Not sure about the Carbon Leather. You can see the stitching, it looks pretty gross and cheapens an expensive car. The only trim that works for me is the anthracite wood. Just because it is a sports car, does not mean it cannot look classy on the inside (e.g. Bentley, Jag XK8, AM).

Will see how the antrhracite goes. Already exploring a real CF trim kit. Might be the best way to go in the end as BMW cheaped out on us by putting that black rubbery plastic around the entire center shift console. Even 335i owners get wood over there.

Anyone find good deals on quality CF trim kits? Really would bring the whole CF roof concept into the car. I would have paid good $$ to BMW for this option. Idiots.
__________________

CURRENTLY: 2014 MB E63AMG-S, CF package loaded, Weistec 725hp ECU on order, Dado downpipes; 2014 BMW X5 50i ||| FORMERLY: 2008 E60 M5 ||| 2011 X5 50i, ECU upgrade to 485hp, LOADED ||| 2009 BMW 335xi, jb4 map5, downpipes, spings, etc. |||

Last edited by Ronno111; 02-17-2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: add info
Ronno111 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #26
Davo2003
Captain
 
Davo2003's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
That's why I wouldn't order the Syncamore/fox red without checking that out in real life.

What's "Syncamore"?
__________________
Crying is for babies, little girls, men who have just had their ears ripped off, and men who have toasted MDCT's due to service errors.
Davo2003 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #27
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
 
Drives: m
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
Not sure about the Carbon Leather. You can see the stitching, it looks pretty gross and cheapens an expensive car. The only trim that works for me is the anthracite wood. Just because it is a sports car, does not mean it cannot look classy on the inside (e.g. Bentley, Jag XK8, AM).

Will see how the antrhracite goes. Already exploring a real CF trim kit. Might be the best way to go in the end as BMW cheaped out on us by putting that black rubbery plastic around the entire center shift console. Even 335i owners get wood over there.

Anyone find good deals on quality CF trim kits? Really would bring the whole CF roof concept into the car. I would have paid good $$ to BMW for this option. Idiots.
I wonder if this would match the CF leather trim?

Carbon Fiber Trim
SMSgt B is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #28
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
 
Drives: m
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Here are the rest of trim packages from BMW

Diamond Black

Titanium

Natural Poplar Wood

I think real wood

Walnut wood

Carbon

Hope this helps
SMSgt B is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #29
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,138
iTrader: (1)

I know we are getting OT from the wood trim but to continue down an off shoot of this discussion....

I think the TS being a bit darker works well with the FR interior. What I don't like is that it is simply painted/coated plastic (fairly sure, can anyone verify?). Whereas the "blue-gray" aluminum is real aluminum (again can someone please verify). My strong preference is for real over fake and aluminum over plastic.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #30
Davo2003
Captain
 
Davo2003's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

The wood is real. I will try to find reference. I had the Burl in my 330i and recall reference to it being real. I am fully certain they would not put fake wood in the car. If i am wrong some can me .
__________________
Crying is for babies, little girls, men who have just had their ears ripped off, and men who have toasted MDCT's due to service errors.
Davo2003 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #31
DJ9
Captain
 
DJ9's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I was going to order the premium pack just for the carbon leather trim, but after I saw TS, that was it.
Funny, I ordered my current 04 M3 with SG and Titanium shadow trim; this time around i opted for Space Grey and Carbon Fiber Leather; as the wood had a brown tarnish to it as opposed to black.

Titanium Shadow really is nice, but I think the CF adds a bit more excitement to the dash. If only the wood came in a black finish, it'd be a different story.
DJ9 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #32
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
 
BMWCali's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I think this might be it???
SOLD! Where do I sign? I LOVE this color combo.

Have any more pics of it?

EDIT: Come on! I'm going bananas here! I need more shots! That's my EXACT color combo I'm getting. Bamboo seats, Sycamore trim, Enhanced sound, M-DCT, Extended leather, Alpine white!
BMWCali is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #33
JPH
Second Lieutenant
 
JPH's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

paint, paint, paint. There are only 3 paintable options:
sycamore anthracite wood trim
aluminum
titanium shadow

carbon leather is not paintable. I am going with a hypothesis on the SA wood and it may look terrible. I will then pull it off and have it painted a custom color (black? space gray to match exterior?). Food for thought.
JPH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,138
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
What I don't like is that it is simply painted/coated plastic (fairly sure, can anyone verify?). Whereas the "blue-gray" aluminum is real aluminum (again can someone please verify).
Bump, anyone, south?
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #35
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Interior trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Bump, anyone, south?
TS is laminated plastic, I believe. There were peeling problems with it in the E46--hopefully these have been solved. I have Matte Chrome in my E46, which is painted plastic, but it looks pretty good to me.

Unlike the E46, which had the whole complex door handle in trim color, the trim in the E90/92 is fairly flat pieces so real metal can be used--I would guess the Aluminum trim is a very thin sheet of aluminum laminated to a base.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #36
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I have Matte Chrome in my E46, which is painted plastic, but it looks pretty good to me.
+1

Painted plastic works better than I would have expected. I suspect TS will be just fine.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #37
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
SOLD! Where do I sign? I LOVE this color combo.

Have any more pics of it?

EDIT: Come on! I'm going bananas here! I need more shots! That's my EXACT color combo I'm getting. Bamboo seats, Sycamore trim, Enhanced sound, M-DCT, Extended leather, Alpine white!
I got that pic from the convertible press release docs--not sure which ones exactly. Dig into those and you might find more.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #38
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Bump, anyone, south?
Sorry, I don't know. I tend to agree with what Greg said, though: TS looks like laminated plastic to me also, whereas brushed aluminum at least feels like real aluminum.


Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST