BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
AK
Lieutenant
 
AK's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 409
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 320d Sedan  [0.00]
Great!
Very good pics!
Thanks!
AK is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (0)

so disappointment...eh?
Last E92 M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,595
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
The mileage the m3 is getting is atrocious. It makes a hemi, with it's size and mass, look like a green engine. The 530 hp and 505 lb ft of torque Gt2 is apparently efficient enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax altogether. "Efficient dynamics" should be changed to very inefficient dynamics.

The fact that BMW wastes millions on R&D by producing a car that has what seems like an infinite number of gimmicky driver settings and at the same time they produce a light, state of the art, compact ,4 litre engine that when babied can't get 20 mpg on the highway, coasting down hill with a tail wind, is in itself a stunning achievement.
I want a toilet made of solid gold!
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
monsta
Brigadier General
 
monsta's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen County, NJ/Y.O, NY

Posts: 3,591
iTrader: (2)

thank you for the wright up, I completely understand your logic, but like you said and someone mentioned before "natural progression" I can't wait to get my hands on mine.... :coolpic!: thanks again...
__________________

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
monsta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #27
Jinxter
Lieutenant
 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
The mileage the m3 is getting is atrocious. It makes a hemi, with it's size and mass, look like a green engine. The 530 hp and 505 lb ft of torque Gt2 is apparently efficient enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax altogether. "Efficient dynamics" should be changed to very inefficient dynamics.

The fact that BMW wastes millions on R&D by producing a car that has what seems like an infinite number of gimmicky driver settings and at the same time they produce a light, state of the art, compact ,4 litre engine that when babied can't get 20 mpg on the highway, coasting down hill with a tail wind, is in itself a stunning achievement.
LOL do you even drive a Hemi? in consideration that I do and get approx HALF the gas milage that is stated in this M3 review makes me feel as though you have no clue what to compair it with. Keep in mind after break in, even if they are pulling 16/mpg right now it should boost upwards of 18 to 20 by around 20k miles.

your a really angrey person arent you Ruff? or are you just trying to play the role of your name?

"and Jinxter enters the ring!"
__________________
Jinxter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
 
BMWPower06's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington D.C.

Posts: 1,763
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Isnt this what happens with every generation of the M3?

The E46 was definitely a more refined/smoother car than the E36 which was a more refined/smoother car than the E30
__________________
Indianapolis Red BMW ///M5
BMWPower06 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #29
Jinxter
Lieutenant
 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Isnt this what happens with every generation of the M3?

The E46 was definitely a more refined/smoother car than the E36 which was a more refined/smoother car than the E30
yep, in fact I never really liekd the e46 because I hated how I couldnt feel the road and how my tires reacted to it in comparison to my e36. I loved my e36.
__________________
Jinxter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #30
murellus
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 e90 328xi, 09 987S
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pgh/nyc

Posts: 500
iTrader: (0)

don't forget the ambience lighting...goddamn dumbest feature bmw wasted time on...that and the pos seat belt giver thing that doesnt work 30% of the time...

and yes, i still plan on getting an m3
murellus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #31
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I want a toilet made of solid gold!
Then buy the GT-R or GT2.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #32
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
LOL do you even drive a Hemi? in consideration that I do and get approx HALF the gas milage that is stated in this M3 review makes me feel as though you have no clue what to compair it with. Keep in mind after break in, even if they are pulling 16/mpg right now it should boost upwards of 18 to 20 by around 20k miles.

your a really angrey person arent you Ruff? or are you just trying to play the role of your name?

"and Jinxter enters the ring!"
Hello Jinxter, catchy name, very creative. Me "angrey" sorry, but I don't understand the question?

My first car hobby was Hemi so if you want to discuss the Hemi come to the table prepared.

Isn't it great to know that a small, light, compact, and super high tech motor from BMW will get 18-20 miles per gallon after 20 k miles. Now please do the math and show me how that is 8 % more fuel efficient than the E46 M3. Show me the numbers. By the way, the GT2, with beyond super car power and performance numbers, gets a paltry 23 mpg highway with 0 miles on it. Now doesn't that make you proud to know BMW chose instead to run up the costs of your M3 by providing you with a smattering of gimmicky driver settings, none of which make you go an iota faster?
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #33
Jinxter
Lieutenant
 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Hello Jinxter, catchy name, very creative. Me "angrey" sorry, but I don't understand the question?

My first car hobby was Hemi so if you want to discuss the Hemi come to the table prepared.

Isn't it great to know that a small, light, compact, and super high tech motor from BMW will get 18-20 miles per gallon after 20 k miles. Now please do the math and show me how that is 8 % more fuel efficient than the E46 M3. Show me the numbers. By the way, the GT2, with beyond super car power and performance numbers, gets a paltry 23 mpg highway with 0 miles on it. Now doesn't that make you proud to know BMW ran up the costs of your M3 by providing you with a smattering of gimmicky driver settings, instead, none of which make you go an iota faster?
I've just noticed that you have complained about gas milage about this vehicle for a while now. Woudl ahve hoped that you would let it go by now but no harm no foul.

As far as the Hemi? I have the Grand Cherokee SRT8 witht eh 6.1 Liter V8 440tq 425 Hp. The car is a tank in consideration that it weights 4819 a little over 1k more then the M3 and with a 0-60 of 4.8, very respectable for a sports utility. Now the Gas mileage on the other hand? ouch! When I first bought the car I was averageing about 8 miles per gallon, now I get upwards of 12 if I drive like a granny that thinks shes gonan live till 200. Dont get me wrong I love the car. Its a blast killing Stangs, Cameros, 350z's and g35's as if they are nothing with a SUV. But I want the full hadeling aspect. Although the SRT8 handels great for a SUV in fact scares me how good sometimes. but its not a track car and its not as luxury as I would like it to be not to mention its starting to squeak like a Jeep (damn plastic).


thats one thing I missed about my e46 the service warrantee. I hear a squeak and bring it in and its fixed and thats for 4 years long....
__________________
Jinxter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
Ronno111
Private First Class
 
Ronno111's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 MB E63S-AMG/ 2014 X5 50i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

German engineering is efficient and reliable... not cost saving and economical. If you are looking for fuel economy, stick with your 91 Accord. If you want the ultimate driving machine- buy an M3 and STFU already.
__________________

CURRENTLY: 2014 MB E63AMG-S, CF package loaded, Weistec 725hp ECU on order, Dado downpipes; 2014 BMW X5 50i ||| FORMERLY: 2008 E60 M5 ||| 2011 X5 50i, ECU upgrade to 485hp, LOADED ||| 2009 BMW 335xi, jb4 map5, downpipes, spings, etc. |||

Last edited by Ronno111; 02-18-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: 2 cents
Ronno111 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #35
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
wow! that's a very negative review! made the car sound so shitty. even when she talks about the good stuff, she has to shove in a few negative comments. wow
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #36
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,872
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
OMG! its finally on shore
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #37
Krueger///M3
Major
 
Krueger///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearl District, OR

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
The mileage the m3 is getting is atrocious. It makes a hemi, with it's size and mass, look like a green engine. The 530 hp and 505 lb ft of torque Gt2 is apparently efficient enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax altogether. "Efficient dynamics" should be changed to very inefficient dynamics.

The fact that BMW wastes millions on R&D by producing a car that has what seems like an infinite number of gimmicky driver settings and at the same time they produce a light, state of the art, compact ,4 litre engine that when babied can't get 20 mpg on the highway, coasting down hill with a tail wind, is in itself a stunning achievement.

The reveiwer said that they were driving over the speed limit, not really "babied" if you ask me. I'm sure that it will get over 20mpg, after all, its EPA rating is 22 on the highway.
Krueger///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
I've just noticed that you have complained about gas milage about this vehicle for a while now. Woudl ahve hoped that you would let it go by now but no harm no foul.

As far as the Hemi? I have the Grand Cherokee SRT8 witht eh 6.1 Liter V8 440tq 425 Hp. The car is a tank in consideration that it weights 4819 a little over 1k more then the M3 and with a 0-60 of 4.8, very respectable for a sports utility. Now the Gas mileage on the other hand? ouch! When I first bought the car I was averageing about 8 miles per gallon, now I get upwards of 12 if I drive like a granny that thinks shes gonan live till 200. Dont get me wrong I love the car. Its a blast killing Stangs, Cameros, 350z's and g35's as if they are nothing with a SUV. But I want the full hadeling aspect. Although the SRT8 handels great for a SUV in fact scares me how good sometimes. but its not a track car and its not as luxury as I would like it to be not to mention its starting to squeak like a Jeep (damn plastic).


thats one thing I missed about my e46 the service warrantee. I hear a squeak and bring it in and its fixed and thats for 4 years long....
Nice ride. You are right, it is a 6.1 litre that is also a 420 lb-ft normally aspirated torque monster that in your rides configuration weighs a 1000 lbs more than the flyweight M3 in comparison.

That is my whole point, the Hemi is a big and heavy 4 wheel drive that rides on a non aerodynamic body and chassis and gets decent mileage considering all these factors greatly impede it. The M3 on the other hand, is a lightweight 4 litre, on a light aerodynamic rear wheel drive chassis and body that gets terrible mileage with all these factors heavily favoring it.

You seem to be pleased with BMW 8% improved efficiency and ecstatic that they did not choose to implement DFI into the 4 litre's design.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #39
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
The reveiwer said that they were driving over the speed limit, not really "babied" if you ask me. I'm sure that it will get over 20mpg, after all, its EPA rating is 22 on the highway.
Portland is a beautiful part of the world. No the EPA rating is 14/20:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=m3+mileage
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #40
cosmos515
Second Lieutenant
 
cosmos515's Avatar
 
Drives: I find what I keeps
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

I get 11.5mpg in the M6, the M3 will seem like a Hybrid to me.
cosmos515 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #41
Krueger///M3
Major
 
Krueger///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearl District, OR

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Portland is a beautiful part of the world. No the EPA rating is 14/20:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=m3+mileage
Sorry, I stand corrected. I thought I had heard 22.
Krueger///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #42
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
German engineering is efficient and reliable... not cost saving and economical. If you are looking for fuel economy, stick with your 91 Accord. If you want the ultimate driving machine- buy an M3 and STFU already.
Nice 50th post Ronno.

Efficient and reliable huh. It sounds like you do not own an M5 with SMG nor have you read J.D. Power and Associates ratings on auto manufacture's reliability. FYI, BMW and other German manufactures are nowhere near the top of the list.

Have you ever heard of Japanese engineering? The data clearly suggests the Japanese are the ones who know how to produce vehicles that are "efficient and reliable." as you say. That is why I own a 91 Accord... are you a bit jealous?

If I want the "ultimate driving machine" I will buy a GT-R already.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #43
PIMP "E"
Colonel
 
PIMP "E"'s Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ft. lauderdale fl, in mannheim germany

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to PIMP "E"
hmmmm........
__________________
MONEY IS THE SAIL TO MY BOAT
PIMP "E" is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #44
Jinxter
Lieutenant
 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Nice ride. You are right, it is a 6.1 litre that is also a 420 lb-ft normally aspirated torque monster that in your rides configuration weighs a 1000 lbs more than the flyweight M3 in comparison.

That is my whole point, the Hemi is a big and heavy 4 wheel drive that rides on a non aerodynamic body and chassis and gets decent mileage considering all these factors greatly impede it. The M3 on the other hand, is a lightweight 4 litre, on a light aerodynamic rear wheel drive chassis and body that gets terrible mileage with all these factors heavily favoring it.

You seem to be pleased with BMW 8% improved efficiency and ecstatic that they did not choose to implement DFI into the 4 litre's design.
Naa I'm just happy that I will be getting over 16 MPG rather then 8 to 10 with my srt8. See the big thing to me is maintanancy of the srt8 I've had this car for 1 and a half years and being that it requires synthetic oil on average it costs me between $85 to $115 to change and I do change it once every 3 months then add in teh breakpads that I have changed once and already need to change a second time. Now it woudnt be a big deal if teh break pads tehm selfs didnt cost a extream amount. being brembo and all. MSRP on a set of front and back cost approx $1200 (just the pads) thankfully my family is in the auto business and we have dealer cost that costs me ruffly $480 (just the pads). then there are the 20 inch rims that have huge tires that cost approx $250 to $350 each depending on quality brand I've changed them once already

Btw the vehicle only has 28k miles on it mostly highway driving. now the money I will save from all of that maintanace and the fact that I will be getting twice the gas mileage with the M3 actualyl makes teh yearly cost of the M3 the same as the srt8 (bought for 46k out the door) Just instead of putting the money into maintanace I will be putting it into the car that comes with free maintanance and is a whoel lot more luxurious.

And the fact that the SRT8 guzzles twice the gas as the M3 and only weights 1200 pounds more really does make me appreciate the new M3 because its faster, Much more fun, trackable, luxurious and I dont have to help people move because I have a SUV....
__________________
Jinxter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST