BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
geoff2010's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2013 Dinan S3 550 xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boulder, CO

iTrader: (0)

Cap Reduction on Lease

I have read some conflicting things... and just want to get a few peoples opinions on the matter.

I am planning on leasing my M3 when it arrives... I was going to put 12K down to reduce my monthly nut. Mentally, I would rather take a one time hit than have to pay a $1200+ bill every month. What are the pro's and con's to putting a big chunk of money down on a leased car?

-Geoff
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
128
Rep
2,938
Posts

Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2010 View Post
I have read some conflicting things... and just want to get a few peoples opinions on the matter.

I am planning on leasing my M3 when it arrives... I was going to put 12K down to reduce my monthly nut. Mentally, I would rather take a one time hit than have to pay a $1200+ bill every month. What are the pro's and con's to putting a big chunk of money down on a leased car?

-Geoff
One big con is that money could be put into an investment somewhere to grow instead of just sitting in BMW's pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Jinxter's Avatar
23
Rep
544
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
One big con is that money could be put into an investment somewhere to grow instead of just sitting in BMW's pocket.
#2 if you total that car good by down payment. and you have to start all over again
__________________

08' e92 M3 6MT // Rogue SSK // B&B Tri Flow Exhaust // AA air filter // Mod Carbon Skirt extensions // Amuse Front/Rear Bumper // Amuse Trunk // Gloss Black Grills w/ M colors // gloss black side vents // M5 Stick with IND custom stitched boot // Carbon Firber wrap steering wheel trim // Avant Garde M364 20' (street) // Advan RS 18's (track)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
geoff2010's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2013 Dinan S3 550 xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boulder, CO

iTrader: (0)

so your saying that if I total the car i just lose the 12K i put down? How is that possible... isn't that what car insurance is for?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2010 View Post
so your saying that if I total the car i just lose the 12K i put down? How is that possible... isn't that what car insurance is for?
Well, you don't lose is per se, but you owe BMW the lease amount, and if you crash, the insurance company only gives you how much the car is worth. Most of the time this is less than the lease cost, so you generally end up losing your down payment. What you need is gap insurance to cover the difference. I believe you get gap insurance through your lease company, not auto insurance company, so make sure you ask for it when you pick up your car. I think it ranges from 300-800 bucks, which is worth it IMO.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST