BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,181
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
This looks pretty good. I like the exterior proportions. Nice study. Interior looks okay, maybe somewhat conservative. The center console interfaces need some work visually.

The cloth lining around the door seams have fallen off recently in my 04 BMW. Service guy says it's common, and cannot be fixed by simply gluing it back on. They need to tear out the whole thing. Then the armrest compartment lock failed. I thought they were going to simply replace the mechanism. Nope. They had to take the whole armrest assembly out and stick a new one in. I'd be fried if it wasn't for the warranty...
Actually, you don't want to get it glued back on... there is a new part number for that cloth lining that finally fixed this issue permanently.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #24
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,181
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Back to topic...

IMO, this CTS Coupe will affect more the G37 sales than the 3 Series, and it will be a solid pre-emptive strike against the rumored IS300 Coupe. This CTS Coupe in base form (258hp) could easily underprice the 328i by a couple thousands, it is striking inside and out, and most probably will handle much better than the CTS sedan, which is a nice handler by the way. Now, if Cadillac introduces something like BMW's Full Maintenance then the story could be very different.

Personally, if the interior is the same as the Sedan then it will be brilliant. I like the idea of using high grade leatherette to cover the instrument panel and the top of the doors and do some French stitching to it to replicate the full leather interiors of BMW's and Mercedes'. That's much better than plain vinyl or worse, hard plastic...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #25
jaiman
Captain
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
lol i think you are just mad because you drive a camaro ss...which i might add is another crap vehicle. but let me get my foot out of my mouth as you kindly stated and take a look at your FACTUAL list...

hhmm...ofcourse, they must be right. BUICK and CADILLAC just shitted on Porsche, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Saab and Subaru. well lets see, what or who is this James David Power ?!? what ?!?! he is an AMERICAN ?!?

He joined Ford Motor Company as a financial analyst and later worked for Marplan as a marketing research consultant for General Motors Corporationís Buick and GMC truck and coach divisions. GET OUT OF TOWN !!!

now why in the world would an AMAERICAN say good things about AMERICAN cars afterr working for GENERAL MOTORS, FORD, Buick



that list is almost as pathetic as Britney's career lol give me a break...am i on punk'd or something ?!? ASHTON !!! where are YOU ???
not to drag this out, but you do realize that JD Power just compiles surveys filled out by owners, right? They don't test the cars themselves.

Or, perhaps you could show us third party research that ranks BMW quality higher than Caddilac for recently built cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
Rimola
First Lieutenant
Rimola's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Viper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
not to drag this out, but you do realize that JD Power just compiles surveys filled out by owners, right? They don't test the cars themselves.

Or, perhaps you could show us third party research that ranks BMW quality higher than Caddilac for recently built cars.

LOL yes by consumers who just happen to live in ths UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and the fact that owning an american brand vehicle lowers your insurance rates is also a complete myth (right ??). i dont know the specific numbers, but i am sure that Cadillac does not have a problems selling their cars on home turf. which might explain your increased consumer reports favoring the less expensive Cadillac by the Cadillac owner who is an american and got a lower insurance quote ?!?

and i certainly dont need to show you any third party research to prove my point. there is only one party, and that would be MY personal experience with both car brands. you try to convince someone to buy a caddy after they owned 4 that went to the shitter ...

whatever floats your boat dude....you certainly dont have to try and convince me
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #27
anerbe
Major
12
Rep
1,248
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: BH, MI

iTrader: (1)

i wouldn't totally trust JD Power -

they get their information from owners - great!

who are the majority of cadillac/buick owners? OLD - not so great!

how many of these "older" owners are picky enough about their caddy that they would use up precious time and effort to go to the dealership? - not so much!

hey, i'm sure if a caddy and a BMW both had a high pitch whine from the HVAC, the BMW would be in the shop with a complaining buyer, saying "this isn't the german engineering I paid for", while the caddy buyer would say " wow, these supple heated seats sure are cozy! .......what whistle?"
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #28
Rimola
First Lieutenant
Rimola's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Viper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
lol on the money...i am glad hat i am not the only one. i think we all can agree that the majoirty of caddy buyers are the seniors of this lovely country. yes cadillac has sportier newer models, but that certainly is not the bread winner for caddy. so the way i see it, you are either about to retire and buy a cadillac or you are looking to guest star in the next Rich Boy rap video (throw some D's on that BITCH)


__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #29
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

How stupid is your brother? He hates F bodies, yet he owned 4 of them. You would then think he'd hate all American cars, but instead, he went from 4 f bodies to a Corvette, which also sucked. Well, no luck there, so now he's going to try a Dodge. If American car companies so suck, why does your family keep supporting them?!?! You're brother must have thought the F-body's were pretty good cars if he bought 4 of them!!! I never heard anybody say, "God, my current car sucks so bad, I think I'll buy it again.....and again....and again, and AGAIN!!!" The apple doesn't fall far from the tree either, since your dad obviously tried the same concept. Bought 4 "shitty" Cadillacs in a row. You were saying?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #30
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
LOL yes by consumers who just happen to live in ths UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and the fact that owning an american brand vehicle lowers your insurance rates is also a complete myth (right ??). i dont know the specific numbers, but i am sure that Cadillac does not have a problems selling their cars on home turf. which might explain your increased consumer reports favoring the less expensive Cadillac by the Cadillac owner who is an american and got a lower insurance quote ?!?

and i certainly dont need to show you any third party research to prove my point. there is only one party, and that would be MY personal experience with both car brands. you try to convince someone to buy a caddy after they owned 4 that went to the shitter ...

whatever floats your boat dude....you certainly dont have to try and convince me

What in the hell does any of that have to do with people reporting problems with their car???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #31
Rimola
First Lieutenant
Rimola's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Viper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
lol i never supported any of his previous or recent purchases. what he does with his money, is his own thing. he is a big boy and the one making those payments. one may consider him quite possibly a late bloomer to the european market. either way, the verdict on my behalf was, is and always will be american garbage.

furthermore, i find it sad that you base your future car purchases on what other people say. i guess you also read movie reviews prior to watching a movie. sure why not, i will let someone else decide whether or not the sense of humor in a comedy hit movie is suitable for me and save $10. let me know when you want me to hold your hand next time you cross the street.

i just feel so bad having to go to my neighbors tomorrow morning and telling him his Porsche was a bed decision and that he should have gone with a Cadillac. (LMAO) get real, will ya ?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #32
jaiman
Captain
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
either way, the verdict on my behalf was, is and always will be american garbage.
That's fine, you can form your opinion any way you want. The truth however is better found by sampling a large population.

And by large I mean more than the dozen cars your family has owned.

One last point, the quality of North American cars has really only turned around in the last few years. Dragging up 10 year old cars to help you decide if todays cars are well built might not be the best way to do things.

I think it was Keynes who said "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? "
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #33
Rimola
First Lieutenant
Rimola's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Viper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post

One last point, the quality of North American cars has really only turned around in the last few years. Dragging up 10 year old cars to help you decide if todays cars are well built might not be the best way to do things.

I think it was Keynes who said "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? "
may be true on the last couple of years. however, who said that i mentioned 10 year old cars. maybe one of them was a 98' and thats about it. most were 2-3 years old before we got rid of them. further more, the standard and quality may have gone up, however they are still way behind when compared to any german vehicle, or european for that matter.

why go with a newly well productioned car, when the germans have been doing it for YEARS !!! thanks, but no thanks...
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
may be true on the last couple of years. however, who said that i mentioned 10 year old cars. maybe one of them was a 98' and thats about it. most were 2-3 years old before we got rid of them. further more, the standard and quality may have gone up, however they are still way behind when compared to any german vehicle, or european for that matter.

why go with a newly well productioned car, when the germans have been doing it for YEARS !!! thanks, but no thanks...
Funny thing is, you can go to your neighbors and tell him if he wants a real performance car he could have gotten a Chevrolet Corvette for tens of thousands less. I'd love to hear you dog the new c6, whether it be the LS3 or the Z06. The z06 will smoke a turbo porsche on the drag, or on the road course for half the price. But they are probably also garbage. You can talk about your brother's cars, but I have plenty of friends with brand new Corvettes running into the low 11s N/A with 0 problems. They also road race them and embarass Porsche drivers! So maybe you should go over to your neighbors house and tell him. The truth is, if all my friends didn't already own brand new Corvettes I'd probably be getting one myself, but they are boring to me now.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #35
Rimola
First Lieutenant
Rimola's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Viper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
Funny thing is, you can go to your neighbors and tell him if he wants a real performance car he could have gotten a Chevrolet Corvette for tens of thousands less. I'd love to hear you dog the new c6, whether it be the LS3 or the Z06. The z06 will smoke a turbo porsche on the drag, or on the road course for half the price. But they are probably also garbage. You can talk about your brother's cars, but I have plenty of friends with brand new Corvettes running into the low 11s N/A with 0 problems. They also road race them and embarass Porsche drivers! So maybe you should go over to your neighbors house and tell him. The truth is, if all my friends didn't already own brand new Corvettes I'd probably be getting one myself, but they are boring to me now.
how old are you ?!? 6.5?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #36
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
how old are you ?!? 6.5?
24.3 How old are you? You still haven't used any statistics to back up your argument, just your opinion. Then said I'm an idiot for listening to other's opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #37
Rimola
First Lieutenant
Rimola's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Viper
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
lol...this is what i read, "I got a friend who has a friend who got a corvette and his friend got a z06 whose friends neighbors sister has a friend that bought a friend and they had twins together who had colormatched corvette matchbox cars, and the best of it all they are all friends."

WHAT !?!??!? do you even own a BMW camaro boy ?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #38
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
UltimateBMW's Avatar
105
Rep
3,287
Posts

 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

For some reason the back quarter reminds me alot of a Lamborghini...



As for the American quality vs. world debate going on, the realization that American cars are lacking in quality is becoming quite wide-spread nowadays. Do you really think that they are just going to sit back and let their companies die and not try to turn it around? Just because pre-millenium cars are "peices" doesn't mean that all the new models will necessarily be one as well. To think so is simply ignorance.

That being said, I'm still not a fan of domestics. This car is in fact good looking but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me. All that stitching in the interior is almost over bored, but only almost...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #39
WAYNEBO
Captain
WAYNEBO's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
670
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
I can't really understand what he said, cause I think his big toe is currently rubbed up against his voice box. It's not a link to a thread, but rather a link to JD Power and Associates, they do use real world facts, and they rated Cadillac to be more reliable and dependable than BMW. Facts are facts. Not saying I'd rather get the CTS-V, although it has seriously crossed my mind many times the past 2 weeks. It's OK to be a fan of one car, but ignorant to think that everything else on the road is not worthy of sharing the same asphalt.

*EDIT* And since I know you won't look up the FACTS yourself, here is the link. These aren't opinions. http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...bility-ratings
Fanboy.
__________________
2007 335i 6MT Coupe, Monaco Blue, RPi Ram Air Scoops, Magnaflow cat-backs, H&R Sport springs, 19" Staggered Miro LM-Rs
2000 F250 V10 Superduty 4WD, K&N intake, Banks Monster exhaust, DR 8" lift w/ Welds on 37s
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #40
spearfisher
Lieutenant
spearfisher's Avatar
6
Rep
409
Posts

 
Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I feel lilke I'm at a tennis match back and forth,

This Caddy doesn't look bad, but Caddy's have never been a car for me.

opinions will vary

Yes Euro cars have a better road feel and more refined than American cars, but $$ for $$ nothing beats say a ZO6 for performance, bar none, but yes it is loud and a very harsh ride, but it's all what you want when you drive, it's your money.

performance wise

ZO6 = 911 turbo
76k 140k

08 C6 = Audi R8

53k 110k

hey if had $$ to burn, put me in a F430.

check out these links

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lap-2007.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6169
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #41
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
489
Posts

 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
lol...this is what i read, "I got a friend who has a friend who got a corvette and his friend got a z06 whose friends neighbors sister has a friend that bought a friend and they had twins together who had colormatched corvette matchbox cars, and the best of it all they are all friends."

WHAT !?!??!? do you even own a BMW camaro boy ?
WTF are you talking about? My best friend owns a 2007 z51 with 418rwhp, another good friend owns a 2003 z06 with 430rwhp. They both run low 11's in the 1/4 mile and neither has ever had a problem. And no, I don't own a BMW. Didn't know I had to own one to be on this site, I'm waiting to get my M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #42
spearfisher
Lieutenant
spearfisher's Avatar
6
Rep
409
Posts

 
Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
My best friend owns a 2007 z51 with 418rwhp, another good friend owns a 2003 z06 with 430rwhp. They both run low 11's in the 1/4 mile and neither has ever had a problem. And no, I don't own a BMW. Didn't know I had to own one to be on this site, I'm waiting to get my M3.
I agree,

Stock a C6 runs mid to low 12's, bolt ons will put it in the high 11's,

a good driver in a C6 Z06 with DR's run high 10's
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #43
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
3,059
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
If that went on sale tomorrow, with a at least 300 horses or so and at least similar tq numbers I would sell my e92 335i before the sun went down.
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST