BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

05-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I f*cking hate tree sap! How to remove from a freshly waxed car?

I fucking hate this city. Everywhere(!) you park, there's those asshole trees jerking off onto your car.

I fully detailed my car last weekend and park it in a garage. Last night I visited a friend and had to park outside (trees everywhere of course). So I had no choice but to leave my baby there for 2 hours.
Of course when I came back, little tree cum drops were all over my windshield, my hood, and my roof.

I'm now wondering how to best remove it without destroying my coat of wax underneath? All solutions I could find on Google so far would all result in me having to re-detail my whole car.

Can I just:
  • 2 bucket wash it with a mitt and Meguiar's Gold shampoo? Not sure if this will remove the tree sap.
  • Can I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax? Not sure if this one will remove my coat of wax underneath...
  • Claying will probably result in stripped wax...

What is safe to do?

Edit:
It isn't some larger drops of tree sap, it's tiny particle drops and they're literally sprayed all over my panels.

Last edited by ellekz; 05-17-2015 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Have you tried Griots Speed Shine spray? If the sap is "fresh" enough, you can often remove it all safely and gently with the speed shine and a high quality MF towel w/out stripping the wax. It smells nice to boot as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Have you tried Griots Speed Shine spray? If the sap is "fresh" enough, you can often remove it all safely and gently with the speed shine and a high quality MF towel w/out stripping the wax. It smells nice to boot as well!
Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to that product here in Europe. But from the description, it sort of sounds like Meguiar's Quik Detailer? I also have Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax but I'm afraid of cleaning my whole hood with it, fearing it'll strip the original wax coating underneath
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to that product here in Europe. But from the description, it sort of sounds like Meguiar's Quik Detailer? I also have Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax but I'm afraid of cleaning my whole hood with it, fearing it'll strip the original wax coating underneath
I had this last year on my hood..

1-Put a microfiber cloth in very hot water and lay it on the areas with the tree sap for about one hour .
2-Meguiars clay bar with Meguiars Quick Detailer as lubrication .
3-When it's removed , go with your Wax over it .

Note :
Till the tree sap is not removed avoid to park your car in the sun ,otherwise it's very hard to remove with lasting damage on the paint !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
3-When it's removed , go with your Wax over it .
This is what I'm trying to avoid. Those aren't big tree sap drops though but tiny drops. The tree sap is ALL over my hood and roof, it's like it was sprayed all over my panels (it's always like that here).
The solution to this problem can't be to fully re-detail the hood and roof (and trunk lid) twice a week...

But I guess I'm out of luck. I'm gonna gradually try more and more aggressive solutions (maybe I'm lucky and a simple wash will remove it, but I doubt it )
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
K.M. Tim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [2.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
I have to clay on a weekly basis here in NL due to trees and driving on roads with lots of trees. I went from clay to a mit due to frequency of use. Its worth it if you like driving. Can't avoid this issue.
      05-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
This is what I'm trying to avoid. Those aren't big tree sap drops though but tiny drops. The tree sap is ALL over my hood and roof, it's like it was sprayed all over my panels (it's always like that here).
The solution to this problem can't be to fully re-detail the hood and roof (and trunk lid) twice a week...

But I guess I'm out of luck. I'm gonna gradually try more and more aggressive solutions (maybe I'm lucky and a simple wash will remove it, but I doubt it )
That's really bad news .

In this case I would wash the car with very warm water and with a lot of your shampoo , you can use also a foam gun .(out of the sun)
Rinse the car with a lot of water .
Spray the Quick Detailer on it , and dry the car .
The spots...areas where it's not removed , you should go with my 1-3 steps.
Hood and roof needs always complete 1-3 steps .
And I know it's a lot of work...and again !
Good luck

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
ycb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Sedan

wouldn't isopropyl alcohol work? 70%-99%? let it soak for a minute, or warm up the iso.

tree sap has the same consistency as stick hash oil, so I would think it would work, haha i use it to clean my bong.

just don't rub it, and test in small area first.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycb View Post
wouldn't isopropyl alcohol work? 70%-99%? let it soak for a minute, or warm up the iso.

tree sap has the same consistency as stick hash oil, so I would think it would work, haha i use it to clean my bong.

this is hilarious
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Relax... Olive oil removes sap nicely from your hands and the car. Afterwards, wash...

Get a car cover ...,
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycb View Post

05-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Quote:
I fucking hate this city. Everywhere(!) you park, there's those asshole trees jerking off onto your car.
That made me LoL
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

If you are using a decent car soap it won't strip the wax off your car. If you wash it soon enough after it was jerked off on by the trees the evidence will wipe right off. If it bakes in you are going to have a time with it. Speed shine/quick wax after and you should be good.
Appreciate 0