BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

12-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #23
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Actually the "Normal" EDC setting adjusts the suspension in realtime depending on how you are driving and cornering, so there is no way to get the equivalent on a non-EDC car. From what we know, the non-EDC cars are roughly comparable to an EDC car set to "Sport".

So you don't have EDC, right? Are you saying the car sits too low and has clearance issues in some cases? That's interesting, I'd like to hear more. But even if so, that cannot be attributed to lack of EDC since the ride height is not changed with EDC, only the amount of dampening.
Oh yes I do have EDC, haven't you read my own thread called "New M3 Coupé owner"?

I'm well aware of that it doesn't gives me more ground clearance, but it actually says in the manual that for bumps and such, you are recommended to put the suspension to the hardest (sport). I've been trying it after my small little accident (which didn't leave any marks or anything, thank god in heaven) and it works fine now! Of course the bump becomes harder, but then again better safe than sorry.

Another thing to really be aware of is that you really need to go slow when going over bumps or pavements. At my accident I was reversing down, which means about 2-5 km/h, still it "scratched" the ground slightly. When I press my luvly M-button I go at about 10km/h. (I put it at 1st gear or into 2nd and drive it at almost-dying-RPM, depending on what I'm going to do next).

If you'd hit a speed bump at about 30-40 km/h your car WILL SLIDE over it not roll! That's a fact, that I never experienced with either BMW 7-series or 5-series (witch M-package which lowers the car by 8 mm I believe).
Champagne is offline   Sweden
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 03:31 AM   #24
Davo2003
Captain

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
Pavements... Is that an imagined word? haha

I mean like... You know where people walk? There's a slight curb or whatever? Think of it like a speed bump.
Sorry, I didn't take into account your European perspective. Yes, pavement is pavement. In the US, you are either on the street or on the walking way (sidewalk). The curbs are substantial, if you hit one, you are usually in need of a new wheel or wheel and tire. Maybe you were meaning speed bumps near "crosswalks". Sidewalks run the same direction and next to the roads. Crosswalks get you from one side of the street to the other side....I think that's what you meant my Euro friend.
      12-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #25
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Sorry, I didn't take into account your European perspective. Yes, pavement is pavement. In the US, you are either on the street or on the walking way (sidewalk). The curbs are substantial, if you hit one, you are usually in need of a new wheel or wheel and tire. Maybe you were meaning speed bumps near "crosswalks". Sidewalks run the same direction and next to the roads. Crosswalks get you from one side of the street to the other side....I think that's what you meant my Euro friend.
I actually meant sidewalk, because where I park at school, you have to go over a sidewalk which has a curb on it

But at least now you all understand what the "problem" is with curbs, sidewalks and speedbumps. Speedbumps are higher, but they don't come as instant (elevation/centimeter) as curbs. Just keep your suspension on sport if you have EDC, or pray to god and go really slowly (which I thought I where) if you don't have EDC. :-)
Champagne is offline   Sweden
Appreciate 0