BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

12-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #67
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Launch control is purely a software issue right? I don't believe it would add any hardware. So in theory we could get it installed?
In the GTI DSG it was software...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #68
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
One thing you need to know about these Dual Clutch systems is that though your acceleration will be better than a manual, you actually will feel that you aren't accelerating as fast. It's tricks you senses, because you don't have the dip and then trust as you change gear like you get with the manual so you don't really get much of a sensation of real power.
At least in with the GTI DSG I get a considerable sensation of acceleration while I'm Manual control, and that is with half the cylinders and half the horsepower. I expect the M-DCT not only to be better (faster) shifting than the DSG, especially in downshifting, but with double the horsepower, almost an extra 100 lb-ft of torque and almost 2000 rpm extra to play with (although some 500 lbs extra of weight) to be producing a much better sensation of acceleration than even the E46 M3 with manual trans...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #69
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
At least in with the GTI DSG I get a considerable sensation of acceleration while I'm Manual control, and that is with half the cylinders and half the horsepower. I expect the M-DCT not only to be better (faster) shifting than the DSG, especially in downshifting, but with double the horsepower, almost an extra 100 lb-ft of torque and almost 2000 rpm extra to play with (although some 500 lbs extra of weight) to be producing a much better sensation of acceleration than even the E46 M3 with manual trans...
+1, although getting a little convoluted in the reasoning here... The absolutely most important variable in acceleration and perception of acceleration is power to the ground divided by weight. These tranny subtleties do play a role but ONLY right during shifting and they are mostly a feel thing rather than a gross, measureable effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #70
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
The mere fact that gears could be changed by just pressing paddles without releasing the gas also contributes to a better sensation of uninterrupted acceleration, something that is simply difficult in even the SMG without jerking...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #71
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
something that is simply difficult in even the SMG without jerking...
I like jerking
      12-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #72
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The mere fact that gears could be changed by just pressing paddles without releasing the gas also contributes to a better sensation of uninterrupted acceleration, something that is simply difficult in even the SMG without jerking...
It's funny but having both forms of the GTi I always felt the manual was quicker. I know it wasn't the case but these jerks were the reason for this, it's that brief drop in thrust before it begins again that's missing with DSG/DCT, the same thing happens with an auto box and believe it or not with the RS4 to a lesser degree, it's that amazing DRC suspension which is to blame, it stops the dips during shifts from being pronounced when acceleration that you get in say an E46 M3, even though the RS4 is quicker it's the M3 which feels it.

I love the abilities that DCT gearboxes have but I feel they take away the very thing which is the reason for owning a performance car, that interaction between driver and machine.

I'll keep the 2K+ in my pocket and go for the slower manual M3 thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #73
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
I like jerking
Keep your 'PLAYBOY' hobbies to yourself.
Appreciate 0