BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #23
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,482
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
Drive more north to see a really smooth track like Thunderhill.
You haven't seen SMOOTH unless you've driven Thermal Motorsports Club.

(ignore the screaming all-season Kumho Soul-less tires)



Baby's ss smooth and oh ho so grippy. Again, ignore the screaming Kumho Soul-less all seasons. Probably the nicest track surface in all of California IMO.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #24
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post

i need to find a way to fly up north and ship my car for the cheap.
Some guys did that at the last event. They had a transportation service pick up there cars in LA and deliver them back after the weekend. It cost them about $600 for the round trip.

Another guy I know charges like $1200 for one way but they provide you track support for the entire weekend.

At least your M3 is fairly comfortable. Try it in a Z06.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #25
tlp
Colonel
tlp's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
2,055
Posts

 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You haven't seen SMOOTH unless you've driven Thermal Motorsports Club.

(ignore the screaming all-season Kumho Soul-less tires)



Baby's ss smooth and oh ho so grippy. Again, ignore the screaming Kumho Soul-less all seasons. Probably the nicest track surface in all of California IMO.

It's so smooth cuz it's paved with high amounts of unobtainium. As you know that track is very, very private. Makes SMMR seem like the YMCA.
__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #26
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,406
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You haven't seen SMOOTH unless you've driven Thermal Motorsports Club.

(ignore the screaming all-season Kumho Soul-less tires)



Baby's ss smooth and oh ho so grippy. Again, ignore the screaming Kumho Soul-less all seasons. Probably the nicest track surface in all of California IMO.
Any chance of a CCA event there??

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
okusa
Captain
okusa's Avatar
7
Rep
645
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (6)

Haven't been at Thermal yet but Chuckwalla is pretty baby smooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:02 AM   #28
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
It's so smooth cuz it's paved with high amounts of unobtainium. As you know that track is very, very private. Makes SMMR seem like the YMCA.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #29
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any chance of a CCA event there??

.
+1
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #30
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,482
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Any chance of a CCA event there??

.
Maybe. Hard to say for sure at this point. When I was there they were concentrating on selling some more properties so they can start phase 2 and 3 of expansion.

Their business model does not include club and other orgs right now, but that doesn't mean they won't open it up for others to participate.

I would guess it's not likely in the next 3-5 years based on the kind of hardware that showed up after us.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #31
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
82
Rep
5,622
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Nice save in the first video and nice laps!

What's up with your right foot? When you go left it kind of curls up off of the dead pedal...looks funny.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #32
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
95
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Nice save in the first video and nice laps!
inspiration from watching my other korean brethren make some awesome and ridiculous saves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
What's up with your right foot? When you go left it kind of curls up off of the dead pedal...looks funny.
yeah that's why i put "whats up with my foot here?"

i guess its me getting lazy or trying to brace myself somehow with the car on only left turns
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #33
AxisMagi
Private
2
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Nice video's and heel toe.

Was a fun time out there even though the heat was brutal.
I didn't get to see you guys on track as I was running in green group.
Mastek glad you and your car are ok! I'm thinking it's time for a caged
dedicated race car as well.

The new track surface was really nice and smooth, but boy it sure was
slippery offline on the white stuff! Made for some interesting passing and
was very careful about that. I had a few oh shit moments myself
and couple straight offs into the dirt the first session
On Sunday the grip was a lot better. Buttonwillow is a really fun fast track!

My car was overheating so bad that even with the morning 90 degree
temps I could only get in a few laps (while babying it short shifting)
before limp mode. The mister system I installed helped but did not solve
the issue. In the 100 degree sessions I was in limp mode after 1.5 laps
following the pack at a 2:08 pace, ridiculous! Was really frustrating and I've
decided to give up tracking my supercharged M and get a dedicated full race
car setup. Safer, faster, more fun.

After my experience I would not recommend supercharging if your
wanting to track the car hard. It was fine while learning but it's not able to
handle the heat of higher revs putting the power down.

It was interesting that the guy in Red group with the new F80 M3 was
also overheating after 3-4 hot laps. So much for bmw's beefed up cooling
for the turbos...

Hope to see you guys out at Chuckwalla!

Axis
__________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP Lemans Blue / ESS VT2-600 Supercharger / Stoptech Trophy BBK / M-Performance Exhaust / Ohlins Road & Track / Audiophile Sound System / Beltronics STir Plus & LI
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #34
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
95
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
Nice video's and heel toe.

Was a fun time out there even though the heat was brutal.
I didn't get to see you guys on track as I was running in green group.
Mastek glad you and your car are ok! I'm thinking it's time for a caged
dedicated race car as well.

The new track surface was really nice and smooth, but boy it sure was
slippery offline on the white stuff! Made for some interesting passing and
was very careful about that. I had a few oh shit moments myself
and couple straight offs into the dirt the first session
On Sunday the grip was a lot better. Buttonwillow is a really fun fast track!

My car was overheating so bad that even with the morning 90 degree
temps I could only get in a few laps (while babying it short shifting)
before limp mode. The mister system I installed helped but did not solve
the issue. In the 100 degree sessions I was in limp mode after 1.5 laps
following the pack at a 2:08 pace, ridiculous! Was really frustrating and I've
decided to give up tracking my supercharged M and get a dedicated full race
car setup. Safer, faster, more fun.

After my experience I would not recommend supercharging if your
wanting to track the car hard. It was fine while learning but it's not able to
handle the heat of higher revs putting the power down.

It was interesting that the guy in Red group with the new F80 M3 was
also overheating after 3-4 hot laps. So much for bmw's beefed up cooling
for the turbos...

Hope to see you guys out at Chuckwalla!

Axis
hey good to see you there! must have sucked not being able to enjoy 100% power! car looked good (i am biased towards the saloon)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #35
AxisMagi
Private
2
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Ya likewise!

It did suck pretty bad! I was stuck in 7th gear taking parade laps
for most of the session. I won the "most point by's" award for the wknd.
Just the push I needed to finally pull the trigger on a dedicated track car.
__________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP Lemans Blue / ESS VT2-600 Supercharger / Stoptech Trophy BBK / M-Performance Exhaust / Ohlins Road & Track / Audiophile Sound System / Beltronics STir Plus & LI
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #36
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
i want to go to the three tracks up north, but i can't even take driving to buttonwillow from la.

i need to find a way to fly up north and ship my car for the cheap.
I'm getting my car trailored up there....if I find someone else to tag along it'll be cheaper for both of us. Let me know if you or anyone else is interested. I'm doing the Cantwell open track day on Thursday, Hooked on Driving on Friday, and the PCA GGR on Saturday. Just PM me.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #37
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You haven't seen SMOOTH unless you've driven Thermal Motorsports Club.

(ignore the screaming all-season Kumho Soul-less tires)



Baby's ss smooth and oh ho so grippy. Again, ignore the screaming Kumho Soul-less all seasons. Probably the nicest track surface in all of California IMO.
Even more smooth than Laguna Seca?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,482
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Even more smooth than Laguna Seca?
Yes.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #39
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
mastek's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,595
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
Mastek glad you and your car are ok! I'm thinking it's time for a caged
dedicated race car as well.
Thank You.
I remember seeing your car. Looked great. I have a soft spot for LMB and e90m3s. I miss my JzB e90m3.
When your ready PM or email me and I can help you with a track car build.
We've done a few Championship and Race winning e36, e46 and e90 full race car builds.
That Saturday we recorded 104 F ambient and 128 F track temps and both of our e36s54 were there for hot weather testing. We could have ran all day in infamously hot running s54 engines. Its all about the cooling.

Good Luck in your future endeavour.
mastek@usa.com
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #40
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
mastek's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,595
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
i want to go to the three tracks up north, but i can't even take driving to buttonwillow from la.

i need to find a way to fly up north and ship my car for the cheap.
A couple years ago I was at Buttonwillow and a guy flew in, on a helicopter....got into a 458 Challenge, did 2 sessions, hung out in a 40' Prevost, then got into a F3 car, ran one session....and flew away.
I was watching him like a schoolgirl at Justin Bieber.
Whata life
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #41
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
A couple years ago I was at Buttonwillow and a guy flew in, on a helicopter....got into a 458 Challenge, did 2 sessions, hung out in a 40' Prevost, then got into a F3 car, ran one session....and flew away.
I was watching him like a schoolgirl at Justin Bieber.
Whata life
That is true baller status, makes the most all of us remember how poor we are in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #42
tlp
Colonel
tlp's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
2,055
Posts

 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
A couple years ago I was at Buttonwillow and a guy flew in, on a helicopter....got into a 458 Challenge, did 2 sessions, hung out in a 40' Prevost, then got into a F3 car, ran one session....and flew away.
I was watching him like a schoolgirl at Justin Bieber.
Whata life
How did he get from the Heli to the 458? I hope he didn't have to walk .
__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #43
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
12
Rep
878
Posts

 
Drives: Purple People Eater
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Around

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
How did he get from the Heli to the 458? I hope he didn't have to walk .
They probably had a limo ready for him at the landing spot ready to take him to the 458.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #44
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
Nice video's and heel toe.

Was a fun time out there even though the heat was brutal.
I didn't get to see you guys on track as I was running in green group.
Mastek glad you and your car are ok! I'm thinking it's time for a caged
dedicated race car as well.

The new track surface was really nice and smooth, but boy it sure was
slippery offline on the white stuff! Made for some interesting passing and
was very careful about that. I had a few oh shit moments myself
and couple straight offs into the dirt the first session
On Sunday the grip was a lot better. Buttonwillow is a really fun fast track!

My car was overheating so bad that even with the morning 90 degree
temps I could only get in a few laps (while babying it short shifting)
before limp mode. The mister system I installed helped but did not solve
the issue. In the 100 degree sessions I was in limp mode after 1.5 laps
following the pack at a 2:08 pace, ridiculous! Was really frustrating and I've
decided to give up tracking my supercharged M and get a dedicated full race
car setup. Safer, faster, more fun.

After my experience I would not recommend supercharging if your
wanting to track the car hard. It was fine while learning but it's not able to
handle the heat of higher revs putting the power down.

It was interesting that the guy in Red group with the new F80 M3 was
also overheating after 3-4 hot laps. So much for bmw's beefed up cooling
for the turbos...

Hope to see you guys out at Chuckwalla!

Axis
Not sure where you got your mister system setup at, but similar system setup at EAS apparently works great for at least two SoCal S/C'd E90 M3's I'm aware of.

But, aside that, yeah it sux not being able to string to gather even 2 full consecutive laps due to the temp skyrocketing. Happened to me in early May at Chuckwalla in 100+F heat, so took the summer off since then for that reason...
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST