BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #2135
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
18
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post
Can someone smarter than me give me a hand with a question.

I though I had a bearing issue, took the bearings out (2010) and the part number says 088 089 (not sure if that should be 088/089). I had 16 of them in my factory engine.

The replacement VAC bearings I have are 702 703 (702/703).

Now on the first page is says there should be different bearings for top and bottom, is that correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
-702 is different from -703. One is for the top and one is for the bottom. You should have 8 of each. They are also distinguishable by color on the side, red or blue.
The color is the only real way to distinguish as the shell has both markings on them.
The 088/89 are the lead faced bearing the was discontinued. You have the correct newer bearings.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #2136
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post
I though I had a bearing issue, took the bearings out (2010) and the part number says 088 089 (not sure if that should be 088/089). I had 16 of them in my factory engine.
Just curious...what is the build date of your car?
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:15 AM   #2137
Agent_Orange
Second Lieutenant
Agent_Orange's Avatar
7
Rep
299
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Perth

iTrader: (1)

Neither the old or the new were colored?? Yes as stated all stamped the same.

Can they only fit together one way (tops have to fit to bottoms?) or could two tops fit together? Second part of that question are they different widths?

It's a oct 2010.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #2138
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,625
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post

It's a oct 2010.
That seems to fit...the EU exemption for lead bearings ended July 2011 IIRC so sometime between these two dates the switch to the new spec bearing was made. I suspect this was a materials change that they would not have made had the exemption not expired.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #2139
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post
It's a oct 2010.
So the car is a 2011 model then. Very strange you ended up with those bearings in a 2011.5 model (built 09/2010 and after). I have a 2011.5 built in 09/2010, and given my oil analysis from Blackstone, I'm positive I have the newer non-lead bearings.

Did this car have an engine replacement somewhere along the past? I thought the running production change occurred in late 2009 (mid-point in 2010 model production).
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #2140
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
71
Rep
3,965
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
So the car is a 2011 model then. Very strange you ended up with those bearings in a 2011.5 model (built 09/2010 and after). I have a 2011.5 built in 09/2010, and given my oil analysis from Blackstone, I'm positive I have the newer non-lead bearings.

Did this car have an engine replacement somewhere along the past? I thought the running production change occurred in late 2009 (mid-point in 2010 model production).
No matter what bearings you have or built year , it's all the same 5H1T ! Lead or not !
Last week saw 2 builts of late 2013 ! > over and out > with only 6,700 Miles on it, so a brand new engine ! But needs a new engine > # 204 > http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615&page=10
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-21-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #2141
Petros
Banned
11
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
No matter what bearings you have or built year , it's all the same 5H1T ! Lead or not !
Last week saw 2 builts of late 2013 ! > over and out > with only 6,700 Miles on it, so a brand new engine ! But needs a new engine > # 204 > http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615&page=10
Agreed. It's absurd to see brand new engines self destruct like this!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #2142
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
71
Rep
3,965
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Agreed. It's absurd to see brand new engines self destruct like this!
Spot on !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #2143
4corners
Captain
4corners's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
823
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Yucca Valley, CA - Kelowna, BC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
Have any engines that had the bearings replaced failed? Are bearing replacement stats being tracked or recorded somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:30 AM   #2144
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,625
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
So the car is a 2011 model then. Very strange you ended up with those bearings in a 2011.5 model (built 09/2010 and after). I have a 2011.5 built in 09/2010, and given my oil analysis from Blackstone, I'm positive I have the newer non-lead bearings.
Historically a "model year" starts in Sept after the factory holiday when all the new tooling is installed for whatever changes have been planned. As the lead exemption for bearings ended in July 2011 it would be normal for the bearing material spec change to have been made for the 2011 model year (ie sept 2010).
However there may have been engines already manufactured or lead bearing inventory that needed using up at the start of the 2011 MY run - so the actual date of the changeover remains somewhat unclear as evidenced by the oct 2010 car still having the lead bearings.
Numbers on the bearings are proof while a blackstone oil analysis is inconclusive.
You can at least be pretty certain that all cars produced after July 2011 will be with the new spec bearings.
__________________

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 07-22-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #2145
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Historically a "model year" starts in Sept after the factory holiday when all the new tooling is installed for whatever changes have been planned. As the lead exemption for bearings ended in July 2011 it would be normal for the bearing material spec change to have been made for the 2011 model year (ie sept 2010).
However there may have been engines already manufactured or lead bearing inventory that needed using up at the start of the 2011 MY run - so the actual date of the changeover remains somewhat unclear as evidenced by the oct 2010 car still having the lead bearings.
Numbers on the bearings are proof while a blackstone oil analysis is inconclusive.
You can at least be pretty certain that all cars produced after July 2011 will be with the new spec bearings.
Just an FYI...the 2011 model year started a lot earlier (than Sept 2010) in Mar 2010. Note that 09/2010 through 02/2011 are referred to as 2011.5, and 03/2011 through end of sedan production are referred to as 2011.75 (informally, due to minor changes).
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #2146
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,625
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Just an FYI...the 2011 model year started a lot earlier (than Sept 2010) in Mar 2010. Note that 09/2010 through 02/2011 are referred to as 2011.5, and 03/2011 through end of sedan production are referred to as 2011.75 (informally, due to minor changes).
German factories usually close, or at the very least greatly reduce production for the first two weeks in August to allow for retooling for the next model year production with most shop floor workers taking a (forced) holiday . The 2011 Model year production for European cars started in late August 2010. Minor spec changes don't get a split model year.
I guess it make some sense to note different spec changes but anything built before August 2010 is a 2010 model year.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #2147
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
German factories usually close, or at the very least greatly reduce production for the first two weeks in August to allow for retooling for the next model year production with most shop floor workers taking a (forced) holiday . The 2011 Model year production for European cars started in late August 2010. Minor spec changes don't get a split model year.
I guess it make some sense to note different spec changes but anything built before August 2010 is a 2010 model year.
Not for North American delivered cars. They were officially titled as 2011 models from either Mar2010 or May2010 production onward. There are plenty of pre-09/2010 2011 model M3s out there. If you look at the production stats, you'll also see that the official 2010 model year has the fewest number of cars (due to its shortened ending).

EDIT: continuing on -- which is the reason there were 2170 E90 M3 2011 cars sold in NA versus 453 2010 E90 M3s.
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #2148
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,625
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Not for North American delivered cars. They were officially titled as 2011 models from either Mar2010 or May2010 production onward.
Fair enough...officially titled by who though?
Are not all E9x M3s leaving the factory in Germany built on the same production line? so calling a car built in March 2010 a 2011 MY car is just some BMWUSA (?) marketing ploy as its still a 2010MY car as far as BMW Germany is concerned.
Anyway its probably going a bit OT from the present discussion.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #2149
CSBM5
Captain
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Fair enough...officially titled by who though?
Yep, by BMW.
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #2150
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,474
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
Neither the old or the new were colored?? Yes as stated all stamped the same.

Can they only fit together one way (tops have to fit to bottoms?) or could two tops fit together? Second part of that question are they different widths?

It's a oct 2010.
They should be colored, not entirely of course, but there should be a little area with a colored marking. Or else if some are marked 702 and some 703, that should differentiate them for you. Or are you saying all of them have "702/703" on them?

Either way, it is absolutely possible to install them backwards or install two tops or two bottoms together, and you do NOT want to do that.

If all else fails, you can get a micrometer to check their thickness against the measurements that have been posted in here somewhere to find out which are which.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #2151
0-60Motorsports
Major
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
Bahrain
19
Rep
1,366
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Hey Guys, can someone tell me what color main crank bearings shells i need to order please. Yellow, green or violet? Thanks.
__________________
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #2152
gobuffs
Captain
8
Rep
615
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3 S65 (race car)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Depends on what measurements are taken on your specific crank. Only the guy installing them can answer you question. Might be different for each journal.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 02:13 AM   #2153
0-60Motorsports
Major
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
Bahrain
19
Rep
1,366
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
Depends on what measurements are taken on your specific crank. Only the guy installing them can answer you question. Might be different for each journal.
Damn, I was praying that would not be the answer. Thanks any way.
__________________
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #2154
jcolley
Private
United_States
0
Rep
86
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M5
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maine

iTrader: (0)

Looks like another option is on the horizon.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...s-s65-s85.html
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #2155
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,903
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Looks like another option is on the horizon.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...s-s65-s85.html
<claps hands>
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BPMSport 91 octane tune/BPMSport Feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Alcantara Wheel/Rear Fog Switch/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #2156
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
33
Rep
2,676
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

^ perhaps you missed the thread a few above this one
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST