BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #419
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
Just checked out the spec on the 5W50, it's nearly 30% heavier than the 0W40 at operating temperature and almost 45% heavier at cold start. You might as well just run 10W60 Edge Pro at that point.
Exactly. We know TWS levels off with an HTHS of about 5.3, making it a 50-weight. At least TWS has a very good chemistry and high VI, and some incredible pumpability at cold temps.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #420
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post

Clearly mobil intended their 0W40 for street use, and their 5W50 formular for racing. Oddly enough, Mobil 1 5W 50, and Total racing 10W50 have almost identical specs. I will be switching to mobil 5W50, and will be using this oil year round, including summer track days. It's much much cheaper than the total, which is a plus!
Are you catless?
Doesn't 5W50 have a lot of lead in it?

.
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #421
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Are you catless?
Doesn't 5W50 have a lot of lead in it?

.
Source? Our bearings are made of lead.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #422
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,345
iTrader: (5)

It's been mentioned in MANY of the oil threads here.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #423
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
It's been mentioned in MANY of the oil threads here.
Used oil analysis of Mobil 1 5W50 used a a porsche cayman S that say 5 track days (550 track miles), and 2,000+ total street and track miles:

ZERO LEAD
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...30#Post2069330
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #424
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,443
iTrader: (0)

Only the 5w30 and some of the lighter M1 grades had 1-2ppm of lead.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #425
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

Went out to a track day this past weekend. The air temperature was over 100 degrees. I ran a mix of 6 quarts Mobil 1 0w40 and 3 quarts of Redline 10w60. I had a few quarts of Redline so I mixed it in. The oil had about 3k miles on it prior to the track day.

Car ran fine. It didn't burn any oil. Didn't run any different than TWS on track. Otherwise I don't have anything constructive to add. Planning on changing the oil now as it took quite a beating on that day.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #426
HapaM3
New Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Blackstone report to accompany your review please Z K.
HapaM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #427
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaM3 View Post
Blackstone report to accompany your review please Z K.
I don't have any of blackstone containers to use and I'm planning on changing the oil this week so I can't get them before then.

Edit: I'm asking a local friend if I can use his blackstone container for analysis.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!

Last edited by Z K; 07-07-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #428
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,593
iTrader: (3)

ZK, you don't necessarily need a blackstone container. Any clean, small, sealable container should do.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #429
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Went out to a track day this past weekend. The air temperature was over 100 degrees. I ran a mix of 6 quarts Mobil 1 0w40 and 3 quarts of Redline 10w60. I had a few quarts of Redline so I mixed it in. The oil had about 3k miles on it prior to the track day.

Car ran fine. It didn't burn any oil. Didn't run any different than TWS on track. Otherwise I don't have anything constructive to add. Planning on changing the oil now as it took quite a beating on that day.

I'd just tell you to run the M1 0w40 and not bother mixing. If you must mix with M1 0w40 but want to thicken it a bit, try and stay with M1 -- they have a 15w50 with HTHS of 4.5. If you go 50/50 on the 0w40 and 15w50, that would give you HTHS of around 4.1-4.2 (about 10% thinner in operation than what TWS tends to stabilize at).

Otherwise, just run straight Red Line 5w40 or 0w40 (HTHS of 4.4 and 4.0, respectively). There are other options like Renewable Lube 5w40 and Motul 300V 5w40 (HTHS 4.5) too, if BMW certifications are not important to you.

Just remember that you want as thin as possible but as thick as necessary. Thicker = more heat and not necessarily better protection. You need an oil pressure gauge to truly determine if your oil is the right viscosity.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #430
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,112
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'd just tell you to run the M1 0w40 and not bother mixing. If you must mix with M1 0w40 but want to thicken it a bit, try and stay with M1 -- they have a 15w50 with HTHS of 4.5. If you go 50/50 on the 0w40 and 15w50, that would give you HTHS of around 4.1-4.2 (about 10% thinner in operation than what TWS tends to stabilize at).

Otherwise, just run straight Red Line 5w40 or 0w40 (HTHS of 4.4 and 4.0, respectively). There are other options like Renewable Lube 5w40 and Motul 300V 5w40 (HTHS 4.5) too, if BMW certifications are not important to you.

Just remember that you want as thin as possible but as thick as necessary. Thicker = more heat and not necessarily better protection. You need an oil pressure gauge to truly determine if your oil is the right viscosity.
I had a few left over quarts of Redline 10w60 so I stuck it in to use it up. No other reason - I wasn't going for a blend. I am now running 100% 0w40 now after my oil change.

I just sent in the sample to Blackstone today. Very curious to see the oil analysis especially since I ran a track day in 100+ degree heat on this sample. I'm sure the oil got worked hard.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #431
MFKN3
Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 2,029
iTrader: (2)

How about people with stokers and/or superchargers? I'd be keen to hear what they are using.

I have both, so my bearing clearances are good.

2 engine builders have told me to go with 10W40 M1 or motul. Or M1 5W50 was also recommended. (I'm currently running TWS)
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #432
kawasaki00
Major
 
kawasaki00's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 1,154
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
How about people with stokers and/or superchargers? I'd be keen to hear what they are using.

I have both, so my bearing clearances are good.

2 engine builders have told me to go with 10W40 M1 or motul. Or M1 5W50 was also recommended. (I'm currently running TWS)
If the clearances are set right the 5-50 is not that great of choice. It does not stay 50wt for long anyway. Living where you do a 5-40 or a 10-40 is a good choice. The Mobil 1 High Milege 10-40 is a excellent oil. Dont pay attention to the high mileage thing as it is just a branding for higher add pack and conditioners. Your engine does not have to have a bunch of miles for it to work well.
Another proven blend for supercharged guys is 50-50 mix of 0-40 and 15-50 mobil 1. Change it every 4k miles. This mix has been running in a car on this board that makes big power and has been for quite a while. You can PM me for more info on that. His request was it not be discussed here.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
kawasaki00 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #433
HapaM3
New Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

My break-in report with a BMW remanufactured long block purchased in early 2014 on Mobil 1 0W40.

I'm wondering since I had catastrophic bearing failure and the oil cooler and lines were not flushed, that it had some affected the results.

HapaM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #434
italyix
Lieutenant
 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 549
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaM3 View Post
My break-in report with a BMW remanufactured long block purchased in early 2014 on Mobil 1 0W40.

I'm wondering since I had catastrophic bearing failure and the oil cooler and lines were not flushed, that it had some affected the results.

The Lead and Copper make no sense as to why they are so high, as you stated the engine was from 2014 which would assume the usage of lead free bearings. But as you also state it might be due to lack of flushing the lines and cooler.

The next report should tell the difference, hopefully.
italyix is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #435
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,750
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
The Lead and Copper make no sense as to why they are so high, as you stated the engine was from 2014 which would assume the usage of lead free bearings. But as you also state it might be due to lack of flushing the lines and cooler.

The next report should tell the difference, hopefully.
The lead may be because the remanufactured engine was on a shelf somewhere and remanufactured pre-2011?
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #436
italyix
Lieutenant
 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 549
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
The lead may be because the remanufactured engine was on a shelf somewhere and remanufactured pre-2011?
I would think you would see much more lead that copper in the sample if the bearings were wearing again, and wear like this in 1k miles is (I think) extremely unlikely.

Lead is (or was) the sacrificial layer in the old bearings, then copper would show up. I wouldn't stress about it, prolly old oil left over from the previous engine. If it freaks you out, just change the oil again for a flush. Make sure to sample another batch and report back.
italyix is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #437
MFKN3
Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 2,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
If the clearances are set right the 5-50 is not that great of choice. It does not stay 50wt for long anyway. Living where you do a 5-40 or a 10-40 is a good choice. The Mobil 1 High Milege 10-40 is a excellent oil. Dont pay attention to the high mileage thing as it is just a branding for higher add pack and conditioners. Your engine does not have to have a bunch of miles for it to work well.
Another proven blend for supercharged guys is 50-50 mix of 0-40 and 15-50 mobil 1. Change it every 4k miles. This mix has been running in a car on this board that makes big power and has been for quite a while. You can PM me for more info on that. His request was it not be discussed here.
Thanks man!

For various reasons, I'm on-board and believe TWS is not ideal for our engines.

I suspect with the extra s/charger heat and track time, I need something a little more serious than 0w40? Just as a FYI, we see about 40F in winter and 110F in summer and I do an oil change every 2 track days.

Redline 5w40 & 10w40 both look good. So does M1 10w40 or the 0w40/15w50 combo. Also Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 may be a contender ("Pennzoil" in USA).

Which one do the oil gods recommend?
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #438
Flying Ace
Lieutenant
 
Flying Ace's Avatar
 
Drives: Sopwith M-Camel
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 517
iTrader: (2)

a lot of great information here. My next change will be with the M1 0-40.

In about 9 months, I'll post side-by-side results of my Blackstones. They will show wear metals for the TWS, Edge Pro, and M1.

Hopefully it will be a useful set of data for discussion!
Flying Ace is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #439
MFKN3
Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 2,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Thanks man!

For various reasons, I'm on-board and believe TWS is not ideal for our engines.

I suspect with the extra s/charger heat and track time, I need something a little more serious than 0w40? Just as a FYI, we see about 40F in winter and 110F in summer and I do an oil change every 2 track days.

Redline 5w40 & 10w40 both look good. So does M1 10w40 or the 0w40/15w50 combo. Also Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 may be a contender ("Pennzoil" in USA).

Which one do the oil gods recommend?
Redline 5w40 and 10w40 look almost identical on paper

I'm probably going to give the RL 10w40 a try this week, as it looks a bit better than the M1.
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #440
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaM3 View Post
My break-in report with a BMW remanufactured long block purchased in early 2014 on Mobil 1 0W40.

I'm wondering since I had catastrophic bearing failure and the oil cooler and lines were not flushed, that it had some affected the results.

The oil cooler and lines hold a descent amount of oil. Having changed my oil cooler twice. First to a Motorsport oil cooler and then changed back to stock, there is a lot of oil that can pool in the bottom of the cooler. If your engine did crap a bunch of metal into the oil system, then no doubt some of it made it to the the oil cooler. Personally I would have flushed the whole oil system before installing the new engine.

That being said, your report, as it states... should not be alarming for a brand new engine.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST