BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
miringrains
Banned
29
Rep
703
Posts

Drives: '11.5 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Anyone upgrade their OEM sound system?

I have the HI-FI sound system, but the bass and highs are weak. I want to keep it classy with the trunk, anyone know a good place in NY area that does the OEM upgrade installs?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
bimdo
Lieutenant
bimdo's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
486
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

i did the bav auto speaker upgrade on my hifi system,which is a nice way to get better sound while using the oem enclosures and wiring,

http://www.bavsound.com/

definitely an improvement
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Galt?
Shrug
Galt?'s Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3, AW/FR, ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg View Post
i did the bav auto speaker upgrade on my hifi system,which is a nice way to get better sound while using the oem enclosures and wiring,

http://www.bavsound.com/

definitely an improvement
What music do you listen to where you noticed an improvement? In what ways was it improved? I note that the stock audio is bad on mid-range and it all but disappears at highway speeds. This is most pronounced in Jazz (Anat Cohen's album "Noir" track 1 and Bela Fleck's "Sinister Minister" are my reference songs). I barely notice this issue with Dubsteb (not surprising) but do with lounge (Buddha Bar, Cafe del Mar etc...).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
AMG_LAWL's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 - Jerez Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to AMG_LAWL
OEM Hifi sucks major ass.. I had a 2011 E92 m3 which had EPS and I was in love, it was even better better than the sound in my friends s65 amg $7k B&O system! But unfortunately my 2013 m3 came with oem hifi and I'm totally bummed =/

There are so many threads telling you how to change speakers to aftermarket this and aftermarket that, with 20+ hours of instillation time and that doesn't guarantee you will complete the setup, you might be left hanging with wires all over the place.

From what I hear, BAV Sound has good speakers but inevitably you are hooking them up to your OEM hifi amp, so that gets you thinking how "great" the BAV speakers can be... probably not so good. A lot of users say to upgrade the amp first in your oem hifi setup and see how everything sounds from there. If you are lacking bass, get the SW8 subs for under your seat and a mono amp to power them properly. With all this said.. you still have to install it yourself =/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
248
Rep
7,959
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (7)

There's bunch of threads in the Audio forum. Then there's this SEARCH feature too.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
ptpending
Captain
25
Rep
628
Posts

Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

iTrader: (0)

you also may acquire EPS system by parts on ebay
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
AMG_LAWL's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 - Jerez Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to AMG_LAWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you also may acquire EPS system by parts on ebay
True, but installing the center channel speaker must be a pain in the ass
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
ptpending
Captain
25
Rep
628
Posts

Drives: e91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: vilnius

iTrader: (0)

not a problem at all
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
AMG_LAWL's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 - Jerez Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to AMG_LAWL
Any update OP?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
nyfg56
Captain
34
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_LAWL View Post
OEM Hifi sucks major ass.. I had a 2011 E92 m3 which had EPS and I was in love, it was even better better than the sound in my friends s65 amg $7k B&O system! But unfortunately my 2013 m3 came with oem hifi and I'm totally bummed =/

There are so many threads telling you how to change speakers to aftermarket this and aftermarket that, with 20+ hours of instillation time and that doesn't guarantee you will complete the setup, you might be left hanging with wires all over the place.

From what I hear, BAV Sound has good speakers but inevitably you are hooking them up to your OEM hifi amp, so that gets you thinking how "great" the BAV speakers can be... probably not so good. A lot of users say to upgrade the amp first in your oem hifi setup and see how everything sounds from there. If you are lacking bass, get the SW8 subs for under your seat and a mono amp to power them properly. With all this said.. you still have to install it yourself =/
What is the easiest way to replace the Hifi amp?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
m3m3mr
Lieutenant
126
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
What is the easiest way to replace the Hifi amp?
The Bimmertech amp is easiest. Plug and play and fits in the stock bracket. No need to run wire to the amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #12
nyfg56
Captain
34
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
What is the easiest way to replace the Hifi amp?
The Bimmertech amp is easiest. Plug and play and fits in the stock bracket. No need to run wire to the amp.
Looking for something a little less expensive than $850. Maybe like $500 or so budget
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:25 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
3061
Rep
16,681
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

No its never happened
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
nyfg56
Captain
34
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
No its never happened
I appreciate your useless post, but if anyone else wants to chime in Id appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
3061
Rep
16,681
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Sorry peeve of mine. Question makes it seem like you might be the only one. Something like what components are people using to upgrade stereo might be more accurate.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
m3m3mr
Lieutenant
126
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
Looking for something a little less expensive than $850. Maybe like $500 or so budget

Not really any less expensive amp options unless you do the install yourself. A "regular" 6 channel amp is going to run $500 for the part alone. Add in the technic adapter you'll need for that amp at $100 and the extra install labor and you really aren't saving anything. Also, the BimmerTech amp is cheaper than $850 if you catch it on a group buy that seem to occur a few times a year.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #17
nyfg56
Captain
34
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
Looking for something a little less expensive than $850. Maybe like $500 or so budget

Not really any less expensive amp options unless you do the install yourself. A "regular" 6 channel amp is going to run $500 for the part alone. Add in the technic adapter you'll need for that amp at $100 and the extra install labor and you really aren't saving anything. Also, the BimmerTech amp is cheaper than $850 if you catch it on a group buy that seem to occur a few times a year.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info man!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #18
okusa
Major
okusa's Avatar
125
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

You can but a plug and play harness and then connect any amp. I bought one used from a friend but never ended up using it. PM if interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #19
nyfg56
Captain
34
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
You can but a plug and play harness and then connect any amp. I bought one used from a friend but never ended up using it. PM if interested.
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
m3m3mr
Lieutenant
126
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
PM'd

It's not a plug and play harness if you still need to run wire from the amp to the battery. Also, aftermarket amps will need the stock amp bracket to be modified. There are several versions of the harness depending on what distribution block you have on your battery so it's not universal fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #21
nyfg56
Captain
34
Rep
808
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Albany NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
PM'd

It's not a plug and play harness if you still need to run wire from the amp to the battery. Also, aftermarket amps will need the stock amp bracket to be modified. There are several versions of the harness depending on what distribution block you have on your battery so it's not universal fit.
Yes I'm fine with that, just need the harness. I don't mind running a power and ground but I don't want to splice a bunch of stuff. Are you referring to the technic harness?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #22
m3m3mr
Lieutenant
126
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
Yes I'm fine with that, just need the harness. I don't mind running a power and ground but I don't want to splice a bunch of stuff. Are you referring to the technic harness?

Yes technic. It's a nice harness just want to make sure you know what you're getting.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST