BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #23
TVMA Doc
Captain
7

 
TVMA Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay


Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My car has done this since I first picked it up. Unfortunately East Bay BMW says "nothing is wrong". They also couldn't get the car to hesitate when making a brief stop then resuming (as in stop on a right hand turn on a red with no traffic)-even though it happens 100% of the time when I drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
I just tell people my car has a 'cam' in it... lol
Seriously, my car is an '11 with all of 4700 mi on it & doing this already.
That sucks. I have a 2011 with 13,000 miles and it started doing this a few months ago. It definitely was not the way the car arrived and so i know there's a problem. I'll keep trying until this fixed...luckily still have almost two years of warranty left. I'm hoping its an O2 sensor problem and they can fix it. I've already switched off of Shell gas and the issue is still here.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
5soko
Brigadier General
Montenegro
73

 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY


Posts: 4,217
iTrader: (4)

S85 V10's suffer from the same up and down idle, but usually during a warm start.. No solution has been found. Some say it is normal, its the cars DME sorting the exhaust temps of the cats or something.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #26
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
78

 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Posts: 5,539
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I just had my ICV and secondary MAF replaced at the dealership for a similar issue.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #27
M.A.R.C.
Private
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2011 SGM E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL


Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Interesting. I noticed this on my car as well. Mine is a 2011 e90 with ~24k miles. Mine does it only on cold starts and once I get driving it pretty much goes away. Never does it at any other stops. I've experienced issues like this in the past on other cars but they were all Hondas and the issue was persistent even outside of cold start. Because the idle issue didn't happen outside of cold start I assumed it was a normal occurrence.

Car drives completely fine otherwise. Wondering if I should get it checked out... Car is under factory warranty for at least another few months
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #28
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
Interesting. I noticed this on my car as well. Mine is a 2011 e90 with ~24k miles. Mine does it only on cold starts and once I get driving it pretty much goes away. Never does it at any other stops. I've experienced issues like this in the past on other cars but they were all Hondas and the issue was persistent even outside of cold start. Because the idle issue didn't happen outside of cold start I assumed it was a normal occurrence.

Car drives completely fine otherwise. Wondering if I should get it checked out... Car is under factory warranty for at least another few months
It doesn't hurt. My buddy's E93 idles what I would consider normal:
On a warm or cold start, the idle goes up to 1500 and slowly settles down. There is no needle bob, rev hunting, or engine surging. I feel like that's the way the car was designed and whatever issue, despite it's significance, is still abnormal. If the car is under warranty, why not get it fixed before potentially turns into something more worrisome that equals big bucks later down the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown


Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

After replacing ICV (warranty) it's about 90% good now. The other 10% might be in my head.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #30
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

BMW of NA is looking into this issue on my car....but I noticed for the past few starts, if the air conditioner is off when I start the car, I don't get the fluctuating idle. Does that have any significance?
__________________
2011 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #31
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2011 E92 JB
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chitown


Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
BMW of NA is looking into this issue on my car....but I noticed for the past few starts, if the air conditioner is off when I start the car, I don't get the fluctuating idle. Does that have any significance?
No difference for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #32
JonM
Private First Class
18

 
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charleston, SC


Posts: 172
iTrader: (4)

My car did that (and worse, higher amplitudes) shortly after 1 tank full of BP gas.

I added the BMW/Techron cleaner and went back to Sunoco, my usual gas station, and the issue went away. No parts were changed.

I always shut off the AC compressor 30 seconds before shutdown (this will prevent mildew buildup) and I never start the car with the compressor on.
__________________
Jon Maddux
14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #33
m3cp
New Member
0

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK


Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Its the gas you are using. Try a different source.

Here in the UK i get that when i use Fuel from Tesco (Their premium stuff). Problem goes away after a "clean out cycle" of using BP fuel (Premium).

These are smart engines/machines and the manual says the ECU takes time to adapt to fuel...so stick to a kind which doesn't cause this problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #34
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Weird thing is problem has persisted despite changing gas stations.
But turning the air conditioning off, and I no longer get this issue.
I guess that's one solution but the problem still hasn't been fixed
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #35
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
31

 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento


Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Weird thing is problem has persisted despite changing gas stations.
But turning the air conditioning off, and I no longer get this issue.
I guess that's one solution but the problem still hasn't been fixed
Maybe listen to the compressor unit as the idle is fluctuating, see if the a/c compressor clutch is activating/deactivating in a similar rhythm as the idle.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #36
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Maybe listen to the compressor unit as the idle is fluctuating, see if the a/c compressor clutch is activating/deactivating in a similar rhythm as the idle.
It actually seems to be doing this pretty rhythmically. The air compressor and idle bob seem to be in synch. When the air is off when I star the car, no more idle fluctuation.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #37
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Guys, my round trip daily commute is <10 miles. When I took it to the dealer, the battery charge was mildly low. Should I get a battery tender? I wonder if this is causing any startup issue.
.
I read somewhere else, that there's an "A/C pressure switch operates when the A/C is turned on. The info from the switch is used to increase the engine load in order to compensate for the extra load placed on the engine by the A/C. " Could this be the issue?
.
Thanks so much, you've really helped a super OCD M3 owner out!
__________________
2011 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #38
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
31

 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento


Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Guys, my round trip daily commute is <10 miles. When I took it to the dealer, the battery charge was mildly low. Should I get a battery tender? I wonder if this is causing any startup issue.
.
I read somewhere else, that there's an "A/C pressure switch operates when the A/C is turned on. The info from the switch is used to increase the engine load in order to compensate for the extra load placed on the engine by the A/C. " Could this be the issue?
.
Thanks so much, you've really helped a super OCD M3 owner out!
10 miles isn't much. I would definitely (and do) use a tender but does this issue happen if you start the car with no HVAC running at all?
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #39
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
10 miles isn't much. I would definitely (and do) use a tender but does this issue happen if you start the car with no HVAC running at all?
No it doesn't. It only happens when I run the HVAC at full strength. I've started the car about 10 times now with the HVAC off, and the issue no longer presents itself.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
TVMA Doc
Captain
7

 
TVMA Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay


Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
From my experience it's not that simple; the dealer replaced all of the above and the problem still hasn't gone away.
Definitely not that simple for me either. When I take it in, the dealer just tells me that there's nothing wrong. "We can't get it do happen."

Strange, it happens nearly every time I drive the car...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #41
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
Definitely not that simple for me either. When I take it in, the dealer just tells me that there's nothing wrong. "We can't get it do happen."

Strange, it happens nearly every time I drive the car...
What helped for me was I took iPhone videos of the problem so at least they had to acknowledge it. There is a PUMA case on the issue; I'm happy to give you the # in case that helps you.

Does yours have any relation to the air conditioner?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #42
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
8

 
Stallion150's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys---not to bring up an old thread for no reason, but BMW of NA ended up sending their master tech.
.
Checked the car out and took it for a hard drive and the tech said it was "normal behavior" to have the idle fluctuate like that. Doesn't sound entirely right to me, but the problem has never escalated after >1 year, so will let it be.
.
I noticed something today though, when the idle does rev up and down, light throttle to the gas and it breaks fine....
__________________
2011 Jerez Black M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST