BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

GTB Performance

06-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
SaNGRia
Private

Drives: Jet Black E93 M3 w/ Fox Red

How should i check my Differential Fluid ?

Hello. I got my 2008 e93 m3 from a Texas Bmw Dealer and shipped to Florida. Car arrived like brand-new with 29k miles on it . Since then i have driven 2k miles in 7 months and i was checking the maintenance recommendation guidelines and it says i should change my Differential Fluid,Tranny fluid and brake fluid every 30k miles. So how can i check that they re in good condition? (I will also contact with the dealer tomorrow).
      06-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
dparm
Major
United_States

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Just change it per BMW's requirements which you are incorrect about, by the way:

Brake fluid = every 2 years, regardless of mileage (mileage doesn't really wear down brake fluid, time does)
Rear differential fluid = every 3rd oil change (time doesn't affect this fluid much since it's a sealed unit, but mileage does)

I don't know the manual trans fluid interval, but it's probably every 2nd or every 3rd oil change. It will probably be listed in the owner's manual.

The only way to know what condition they're in is to pull a sample of the fluid and send it for analysis at about $35 per sample. You can certainly do this if you want to monitor the fluid over the long term and establish a baseline, but a single sample won't tell you a whole lot.

The dealer can check what the car needs, and what has already been done. I hope you already did this before buying the car, though. Anyway, there's no use wasting money by just guessing or arbitrarily replacing fluids that have lots of life left. Even if you don't want the dealer to do the services, they can at least give you the car's history.
      06-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
SaNGRia
Private

Drives: Jet Black E93 M3 w/ Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Just change it per BMW's requirements which you are incorrect about, by the way:

Brake fluid = every 2 years, regardless of mileage (mileage doesn't really wear down brake fluid, time does)
Rear differential fluid = every 3rd oil change (time doesn't affect this fluid much since it's a sealed unit, but mileage does)

I don't know the manual trans fluid interval, but it's probably every 2nd or every 3rd oil change. It will probably be listed in the owner's manual.

The only way to know what condition they're in is to pull a sample of the fluid and send it for analysis at about $35 per sample. You can certainly do this if you want to monitor the fluid over the long term and establish a baseline, but a single sample won't tell you a whole lot.

The dealer can check what the car needs, and what has already been done. I hope you already did this before buying the car, though. Anyway, there's no use wasting money by just guessing or arbitrarily replacing fluids that have lots of life left. Even if you don't want the dealer to do the services, they can at least give you the car's history.
Thank you so much. When I bought the car they told me that they checked 36 point on the car and changed tires and oil. I didn't ask them about Differential fluid cuz I never had a car real wheel drive before. I knew I was getting a RWD but I didn't think to ask. They are the biggest bmw dealer in Texas. And car is just brandnew to me. Everything is like never used. Only the milage was 29k. And I just wanted to get an idea from you guys not to do something wrong for the THING But I will def. call and ask about the history as well. Thank you so much
      06-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
dparm
Major
United_States

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

No problem. If they won't give you the details over the phone, just walk into your local dealer with the key. They can pull things up that way.