BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GTB Performance
View Poll Results: Are you staying or leaving?
Going with the F8X M3 or I already have one 75 14.23%
Staying in my E9X M3 452 85.77%
Voters: 527. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #375
Alex07M3
Colonel
26
Rep
2,101
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I am sure glad you addressed this before I did. I will be happy to offer my services in a head to head with any stock E9X to see in what planet or performance (sound is not performance) measure does the car excel over the F8x. No way will you see a stock e9x pass the f8x at any speed through the limiter. But hey if you want to spend another 20-25k in Mods and end up paying more than I did for the F80x just to edge me out by 2 seconds to 100mph then awesome and whatever makes you happy. I sincerely mean that as all M cars gives us options to find something just right for our taste and at the price point that is the way it should be. Nevertheless just for funsies we will test this out next week when our Bimmerpost group begins our 9 day road tour right after we quickly reach break-in mileage! Stay tuned
Where did you came up with that number, an E9x M3 will make 650hp for $10k, no need to spend 20-25k?!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #376
JRV
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
yes, every 6-7 years a Civil war breaks out in cyber space
Okay I thought I felt a part of the sky falling. I didn't like the e9x looks at first, then bought one. It grew on me substantially. Feel the same about the f8x ie it's ugly but won't be buying.
Frankly, I don't feel safe
__________________
'11 Black/Black GLK350 (Wife)
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 (My beater)
'11 Loaded AW Fox Red/Black/Black Carbon Leather ZCP E90 M3 (Halloween Delivery)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #377
jc05e46m3
Colonel
44
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
The funny thing is the only people who are truly butt hurt are the clowns who think something new equals something better & went out and ordered the F8x without first test driving it…..lol! Who buys a new car the first model year that hasn’t yet been proven….at least wait until all the hype dies down so you will know fact vs. fiction…..Wow

A turbo with 11 more hp than a stock V8…..that’s some stupid shit! Hell, if you’re going to put a turbo in place of a V8 at least give it 100 more hp than the old M!

Well at least we know the new M will be better at towing a boat! Torque #’s equal B.S. if the car is not 4 wheel drive like the GTR
More stupidity, I'm afraid.

E36 M3 was awesome, E46 M3 (I owned) was awesome, and E92 (I owned) was awesome....I took a chance based on trend analysis. If it truly sucks, do you know how easy it would be for me to sell it for what I paid for it where I live? lol.

turbo with 11more hp is "stupid shit"? Clearly it's more conservatively tuned from the factory than we thought. 2 independent dynos have proven that it is actually UNDERRATED (like all other BMW FI engines) and guess what? Oh, wow- 25% less displacement. Oh, and over 40% more torque. Got it.

THE GTR IS NOT 4WD, IT IS AWD. Thanks, though.

I've come to the realization that you are a fanboy and 99% of what you say is true bullshit. I have a feeling that you will soon get your real life comparisons and be able to produce drawings of F8x taillights from memory- especially if you drive like you procure logical and informed arguments.
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #378
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
M3/4 life's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: League City, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Lexus RX 330  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Now I have to respond. I numbered each of your statements for simplicity of response.

1. You think it was lack of maintenance and not design flaw? IIRC, they replaced mny engines under warranty and even out of warranty on goodwill and changed bearing part #s sometime in 2011. Nice try, though.

2. It was special to you, but I bet the majority would disagree. I would say it is far less "special" than the F8x is to the E9x. Everyone could agree that the E9x was truly a special car.

3. If you don't know anything about it, never experienced it, or read into the details of those who disabled it, then you probably should reserve your negativity.

4. Everything that has been posted thus far (INCLUDING OFFICIAL NUMBERS FROM THE AUTO MANUFACTURER ITSELF) has suggested that the F8x is significantly faster. But keep living in magic land where the fairies ride unicorns over the rainbows.

5. He was relating your ignorance to the M5.

6. Who cares?

7. "M" is different than "911". WTF are you talking about? Using it like that for your side of the argument would be M3X5, M3X3, M31M, M3M235i, M3750, M3335D, etc. I think you're lost. I can agree that BMW has certainly diluted the "M" by putting it on everything these days.

8. That engine design didn't begin when the market crashed (or even near it) Let's be real here. Erroneous, yet again.
My friend I’m not here to argue with you if you like it & believe all of BMW marketing B.S. then so be it! Enjoy your new M3/M4!

Ignorance my friend is when you have to stoop to name calling to get your point across or justify your purchase. It’s your money buy what you like! However, this is the E9x forum not the F8x forum I’m simply expressing my view point. Do you expect the E9x to get behind the F8x based solely on numbers on paper?
__________________
2009 E92 M3 DCT: BPM tune + DCT tune & Servotronic | Velos Solo VII 19x 8.5, 19x11 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/19 front 295/30/19 rear | M Performance Exhaust | BCM Air Intake Filter
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #379
V1.47fan
Powered by Bacon
V1.47fan's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,434
Posts

 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
1. Road Racing on big tracks > Autocross
2. S55 takes tech from both N55 and N54
3. Many 335 owners will tell you that their car, albeit being 11 sec cars were no M car (suspension, balance, feel, visuals), and THAT was the bigger reason for the change, NOT the s65.

Your response is not uncommon from most who bash the F8x, but change is inevitable.

Also...let me know how the taillight design looks on the F82.
Hahahaha
Dont tell me those FBO owners with aftermarket coilovers, M3 bits etc. That switched to the E9X M3 Still thought the stock E9X M3 suspension was better than AST's, KW's ,TC Kline's...

If drag racing was any harder, they'd call it road racing; if road racing was any harder, they'd call it Autocross.

Saying the S55 is a glorified N55 is not bashing the F8X...it's the truth. People have been running those torquey FBO 400 plus hp twin turbo in line 6 for years, now that BMW does it , it's the best thing since sliced bread.


If you like turbo lag, you like a soul less engine with a fart can of an exhaust with fake engine sound coming out of your stereo to make up for its shortcoming in the engine sound dpt. , then BMW has a car for you Mr purist.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #380
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
82
Rep
5,393
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I'm not as mature as W///, so I will just go out on a limb and say that literally every point you thought you made was unbased and incredibly inaccurate-other than the shared desire for these cars to come out so we can see some unbiased comparos. That is all.



Another great response on your part. I would like to mention just a couple things for further amplification.

1. I agree. Active sound is not that that noticeable. Additionally, for the people who hate it, a fix has been found other than coding:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...=680384&page=5

2. The F8x destroys the E92 M3 in a straight line and he is disillusioned, that's all.

3. Your diff bolt snapped, too? Luckily, I was able to get all of mine replaced under warranty, even with all the performance mods (including suspension/camber kit and track wheels/tires)




Agreed. They are pretty damn cool. I'm also actually really impressed with the Macan! I checked one out the other day and it was leaps and bounds beyond what I thought it was going to be. I think it's going to sell like crazy.




Damn, now I should go knock on wood. No my diff bolt didn't snap, but I know it's a possibility... which I should probably take care of soon by going solid bushings. But that's besides the point.

IMHO, the whole argument about the active sound system is just insane. If it can be turned off one way or another, what's the problem? No harm, no foul! It's as stupid as someone saying I'm not interested in an E92 M3 because the cup holders suck.

Oh well, I think at this point, we are just p1ssing behind a jumbo jet. But I guess I have nothing better to do this morning, so it's OK.

P.S. You've had a quite a run with all sorts of M3's. Nice looking list you got there!
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #381
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
17
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

For me.... I dont care if it makes 600hp. If it does not have a v8 i really just do not want it. The GTR will kill a m3 but I do not want one because of the 6 cylinder. No matter what exhaust is on it you cannot change the sound of the engine. Same as the m4, I know it will be faster but the inline 6 has a tone that can be changed somewhat by altering firing order but that is not happening and neither is getting rid of the sound it makes. I just do not care for it.
There is also something pleasing about having a older generation car that will walk away from the new ones that some snot nose kid has because daddy bought him one.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.

Last edited by kawasaki00; 06-17-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #382
V1.47fan
Powered by Bacon
V1.47fan's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,434
Posts

 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

iTrader: (0)



I love that intake sound the S65 has as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #383
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
82
Rep
5,393
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
The funny thing is the only people who are truly butt hurt are the clowns who think something new equals something better & went out and ordered the F8x without first test driving it…..lol! Who buys a new car the first model year that hasn’t yet been proven….at least wait until all the hype dies down so you will know fact vs. fiction…..Wow

A turbo with 11 more hp than a stock V8…..that’s some stupid shit! Hell, if you’re going to put a turbo in place of a V8 at least give it 100 more hp than the old M!

Well at least we know the new M will be better at towing a boat! Torque #’s equal B.S. if the car is not 4 wheel drive like the GTR
But same can be said for people that bash the car without having seen it or driven it. Yes I understand that if the V8 sound is a must for you, then there will be plenty for you to pick from, BMW made thousands of E9x M3's.

Saying that an E9x will give an F80 a run for its money is like saying a US E36 M3 will give an E46 M3 a run for its money (stock for stock of course). Never. Going. To. Happen.

I don't remember the exact number bmwusa.com gave the E9x but it was well slower than the 3.9s for the F80/2 with DCT.

Less power + less torque + more weight = faster?

FYI, I don't have a new M3 in order, so I have no reason to justify my purchase. I just like to argue with facts and common sense
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #384
jc05e46m3
Colonel
44
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
My friend I’m not here to argue with you if you like it & believe all of BMW marketing B.S. then so be it! Enjoy your new M3/M4!

Ignorance my friend is when you have to stoop to name calling to get your point across or justify your purchase. It’s your money buy what you like! However, this is the E9x forum not the F8x forum I’m simply expressing my view point. Do you expect the E9x to get behind the F8x based solely on numbers on paper?
I will, just as I have enjoyed the rest. Mostly because I am young, take calculated risks, and work hard for what I decide on.

I didn't see in there where I called you any names, but "my friend", I am sorry if you are butt-hurt in some fashion because I used the words "erroneous" and "ignorance". I truly am sorry because I subjected you to that harshness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Hahahaha
Dont tell me those FBO owners with aftermarket coilovers, M3 bits etc. That switched to the E9X M3 Still thought the stock E9X M3 suspension was better than AST's, KW's ,TC Kline's...

If drag racing was any harder, they'd call it road racing; if road racing was any harder, they'd call it Autocross.

Saying the S55 is a glorified N55 is not bashing the F8X...it's the truth. People have been running those torquey FBO 400 plus hp twin turbo in line 6 for years, now that BMW does it , it's the best thing since sliced bread.


If you like turbo lag, you like a soul less engine with a fart can of an exhaust with fake engine sound coming out of your stereo to make up for its shortcoming in the engine sound dpt. , then BMW has a car for you Mr purist.
I didn't say just suspension. I mentioned just a couple other things, but the list grows. I also said "majority". Hell, I changed my M3 suspension to KW as well (because it WAS better). Also, you should be very specific. I don't know of many n54 (twin turbo)/n55 (single turbo) FBO cars that were making over 400 WHP without E85 and meth (or one of those).

You clearly have never driven a car with real turbo lag, so Ill just let that one slide. I could agree, it doesnt have soul like the S65 or S85, but the sound is no worse than the S54. Oh, and also FYI....a "purist" would stick with the E92, stripper, with 6MT. I'm just a guy with strong opinions against those who don't try to have real discussions, but rather pull random comments out of their asses with no evidence or experience to back it up. An I am not even close to being as knowledgeable about some of these cars as some people on here.
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #385
V1.47fan
Powered by Bacon
V1.47fan's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,434
Posts

 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
But same can be said for people that bash the car without having seen it or driven it. Yes I understand that if the V8 sound is a must for you, then there will be plenty for you to pick from, BMW made thousands of E9x M3's.

Saying that an E9x will give an F80 is like saying a US E36 M3 will give an E46 M3 a run for its money (stock for stock of course). Never. Going. To. Happen.

I don't remember the exact number bmwusa.com gave the E9x but it was well slower than the 3.9s for the F80/2 with DCT.

Less power + less torque + more weight = faster?

FYI, I don't have a new M3 in order, so I have no reason to justify my purchase. I just like to argue with facts and common sense
How many people race their cars stock? You put $5k into an E36 M3 and you put $5k into an E46 M3, of course it'll give the E46 M3 a run for its money.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #386
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
M3/4 life's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: League City, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Lexus RX 330  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I personally know of an E90 M3, that is a 1 owner (well known forum member actually), that has changed his oil religiously, with TWS, knows proper warm up sequence, yet still had his rod bearings go. I'm not saying that you will for sure have rod bearing failure, but it is a small possibility. Which is why I monitor my oil religiously, but that's another story that should be left for the engine subforum and not this one. My point is this: Should something go wrong with the E9x M3, it'll be very costly. I'd be willing to bet that MOST forum members here don't go all the way to 15k miles before an oil change.

You say the E36 was progress over the E30? Depends how you look at it. In the US (which is where you and I are at the moment), we got a non-bespoke engine, same body panels as a regular 3 series minus the bumpers and side skirts, and a weaker diff than ROW. Is it special on paper? Not at all, but I'm enjoying driving the hell out of that car. If you fell in love with a ho hum E36 M3, which is probably the bastard child of the M3 world, then shouldn't the F80/2 deserve a chance?

Like I said, I have no idea why you'd even think our V8's can keep up with the new car. In the real world or on the track (unless the turboed M3s overheat, we'll see about that). I don't care that you aren't interested in an M5 or M6. My point was to show you what turbos can do. The E60 is HUNDREDS of lbs lighter than the F10, yet it will get spanked it every day of the week. The F80 at worst case is as heavy as E9x, but has more power (anyone want to bet 420hp is underrated?) and has 100+ more ft-lbs of torque. Do the math. If the Nurburgring times are to be believed, it's significantly faster than an E9x. I just cannot for the life of me comprehend where you came up with the idea than an E9x can hang with the F80/2.

I'm not saying an S65 is not an expensive engine, but if you for one second think that it costs BMW $25,000 to make each S65, you are very wrong. Companies like Lexus loses money on something exotic like an LFA because literally everything is bespoke. An E92 M3 has the same chassis as an E92 318i.

The reason I included that M535i was to show that BMW has been using ///M to sell cars for DECADES. Hell, how do you think the M-sport package started? I just find it hilarious that people think F80/2 was when BMW started "selling out".

P.S. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before Porsche is 100% turboed too. It's already started with the Cayman and Boxster (let's not even talk about the other mainstream Porsches). I have almost no doubt the Carreras will go full turbos too. Whether the GT3 (GT3 RS is rumored to be turboed) will stay NA, we'll probably see next generation.

IMHO, the exception will be the American muscle cars, which HAVE to have a V8.
It’s not that I’m not willing to give the new M a chance I just don’t like a turbo engine for they’re never reliable long term. On top of the fact of being disappointed that BMW put a turbo in the M, it was one thing for it to be in the regular 3 series (who cared) but to stick it in the M just broke my heart. I could have accepted an N/A inline 6 but a twin turbo to me is just a huge let down, but we’ll see once it comes out how it does.

I sure hope Porsche doesn’t go that route, but you might be right……
__________________
2009 E92 M3 DCT: BPM tune + DCT tune & Servotronic | Velos Solo VII 19x 8.5, 19x11 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/19 front 295/30/19 rear | M Performance Exhaust | BCM Air Intake Filter
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #387
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
82
Rep
5,393
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
How many people race their cars stock? You put $5k into an E36 M3 and you put $5k into an E46 M3, of course it'll give the E46 M3 a run for its money.

That's precisely why I said stock for stock. Because he was saying that the F80/2 owners will be desperate to get a tune and up the boost after getting passed by an E9x. Do you not agree how ridiculous that is?

Everything that has been tested thus far (and all I care about) is a stock car. Between the acceleration figures and lap time, it's all been stock. This isn't a debate of what you can mod to make it as quick as a stock car. Otherwise this would just turn into what a 335i with $5k mods would do against an E9x M3.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #388
jc05e46m3
Colonel
44
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Damn, now I should go knock on wood. No my diff bolt didn't snap, but I know it's a possibility... which I should probably take care of soon by going solid bushings. But that's besides the point.

IMHO, the whole argument about the active sound system is just insane. If it can be turned off one way or another, what's the problem? No harm, no foul! It's as stupid as someone saying I'm not interested in an E92 M3 because the cup holders suck.

Oh well, I think at this point, we are just p1ssing behind a jumbo jet. But I guess I have nothing better to do this morning, so it's OK.

P.S. You've had a quite a run with all sorts of M3's. Nice looking list you got there!
Hahaha. Those cup holders do suck. Get the solid bushings, for sure.

I digress.

I have been really lucky. A lot of my East Coast friends are making me jealous by picking up E30 M3s and E36 M3s at GREAT prices and I can't find a single one that I could justify buying here in SoCal My goal is to find an E36 right now for a dedicated track toy that my GF can learn on. It was scary letting her drive the E92 at Willow Springs I've just been very blessed and done enough deployments in a short period of time to feed my addiciton to this incredibly expensive hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
For me.... I dont care if it makes 600hp. If it does not have a v8 i really just do not want it. The GTR will kill a m3 but I do not want one because of the 6 cylinder. No matter what exhaust is on it you cannot change the sound of the engine. Same as the m4, I know it will be faster but the inline 6 has a tone that can be changed somewhat by altering firing order but that is not happening and neither is getting rid of the sound it makes. I just do not care for it.
There is also something pleasing about having a older generation car that will walk away from the new ones that some snot nose kid has because daddy bought him one.
I can see your point of view on all of these. Personal preference far outweighs numbers. I respect that. I was looking at lightly used GTRs and actually hated the lack of refinement that the BMWs, Audis, and Mercs provide. The performance was unmatched, but like you said, that doesn't always do it. Plus, the looks you get when you drive by hoards of people with the S65 growling is pretty damn fulfilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
But same can be said for people that bash the car without having seen it or driven it. Yes I understand that if the V8 sound is a must for you, then there will be plenty for you to pick from, BMW made thousands of E9x M3's.

Saying that an E9x will give an F80 a run for its money is like saying a US E36 M3 will give an E46 M3 a run for its money (stock for stock of course). Never. Going. To. Happen.

I don't remember the exact number bmwusa.com gave the E9x but it was well slower than the 3.9s for the F80/2 with DCT.

Less power + less torque + more weight = faster?

FYI, I don't have a new M3 in order, so I have no reason to justify my purchase. I just like to argue with facts and common sense
Facts and common sense? What are these things you speak of?
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #389
highmodulus
Two more till my intervention
2
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 White/Black 6mt
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
This happens every 6-7 years when the new model is about to be released People with the current generation M's bash the new one just to make themselves feel better about what they have. It happened when the E9X M3 was coming out as well. Everyone with a E46 M3 hated how the E9X looked and most of them are jumping into a E9X.
This. Its really childish and annoying. I have owned a E46 M3, E90 M3 and now and E92 M3. And I think the F80 M3/M4 will be really good (especially since you can turn off the fake noise apparently, which I hate when any manufacturer does it). And I have driven an F10 M5 on road and track and found it to be delightful. As was the 1M which used a non-M engine. Even the USDM E36 M3 with its non-M engine is a track car favorite.

Heck, the M235i looks to be a nice value in a few years (offlease specials- just add the limited slip diff!)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #390
jc05e46m3
Colonel
44
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
It’s not that I’m not willing to give the new M a chance I just don’t like a turbo engine for they’re never reliable long term. On top of the fact of being disappointed that BMW put a turbo in the M, it was one thing for it to be in the regular 3 series (who cared) but to stick it in the M just broke my heart. I could have accepted an N/A inline 6 but a twin turbo to me is just a huge let down, but we’ll see once it comes out how it does.

I sure hope Porsche doesn’t go that route, but you might be right……
THIS!

Wow, I'm seeing light here! I agree with you on the long-term reliability concern and only time will tell. I really hope it holds up.
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #391
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
82
Rep
5,393
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
It’s not that I’m not willing to give the new M a chance I just don’t like a turbo engine for they’re never reliable long term. On top of the fact of being disappointed that BMW put a turbo in the M, it was one thing for it to be in the regular 3 series (who cared) but to stick it in the M just broke my heart. I could have accepted an N/A inline 6 but a twin turbo to me is just a huge let down, but we’ll see once it comes out how it does.

I sure hope Porsche doesn’t go that route, but you might be right……
OK, now we are getting somewhere. If that is your reason, then I completely understand. There's always going to be people that prefer NA vs FI, MT vs DCT, ect... I'll also agree with you that the reliability is a big question mark for me. The S65 has been relatively bulletproof, compared to let's say the fragile E46. Should things go wrong, it'll be expensive for sure. But I'm confident enough that if well maintained, the E9x will have your back for a long time to come. FYI, I'm at almost 80k now, bought it at 57k with no warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country.

I think going turbo was inevitable. Also don't be surprised if companies like Audi, BMW and MB stop doing DCT as well in favor of good automatic transmissions. But luckily for us car guys, these M3 are pretty decently common. We aren't talk about an F40 or Porsche 959 here. There's 5 generations to pick from
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #392
jc05e46m3
Colonel
44
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmodulus View Post
This. Its really childish and annoying. I have owned a E46 M3, E90 M3 and now and E92 M3. And I think the F80 M3/M4 will be really good (especially since you can turn off the fake noise apparently, which I hate when any manufacturer does it). And I have driven an F10 M5 on road and track and found it to be delightful. As was the 1M which used a non-M engine. Even the USDM E36 M3 with its non-M engine is a track car favorite.

Heck, the M235i looks to be a nice value in a few years (offlease specials- just add the limited slip diff!)
Agreed. Looks like you had one of the other M cars that I wanted (maybe secretly still would love to have): the E90 M3! It's too bad they didn't produce more of them.

The 235 is really shaping up to be a pretty legit car, other than the stupid M badges everywhere, but many are considering it a modernized E36 M3.
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #393
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
M3/4 life's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: League City, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Lexus RX 330  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
But same can be said for people that bash the car without having seen it or driven it. Yes I understand that if the V8 sound is a must for you, then there will be plenty for you to pick from, BMW made thousands of E9x M3's.

Saying that an E9x will give an F80 a run for its money is like saying a US E36 M3 will give an E46 M3 a run for its money (stock for stock of course). Never. Going. To. Happen.

I don't remember the exact number bmwusa.com gave the E9x but it was well slower than the 3.9s for the F80/2 with DCT.

Less power + less torque + more weight = faster?

FYI, I don't have a new M3 in order, so I have no reason to justify my purchase. I just like to argue with facts and common sense
The numbers I saw for the F8x were 0-60 4.1 which was the same numbers I had seen for the E9x DCT depending on which mag tested it (I believe it was Car & Driver though) but I stand corrected if it's 3.9

Power almost the same, less torque however torque is only good if you can get traction & the weight of the F8x keeps going up so until someone unbiased buys one & weights it

And don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a little faster but I doubt it's that big of difference. Even with the E46M the E9x was faster but it wasn't a blow out!
__________________
2009 E92 M3 DCT: BPM tune + DCT tune & Servotronic | Velos Solo VII 19x 8.5, 19x11 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/19 front 295/30/19 rear | M Performance Exhaust | BCM Air Intake Filter
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #394
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
82
Rep
5,393
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Agreed. Looks like you had one of the other M cars that I wanted (maybe secretly still would love to have): the E90 M3! It's too bad they didn't produce more of them.

The 235 is really shaping up to be a pretty legit car, other than the stupid M badges everywhere, but many are considering it a modernized E36 M3.
I do like the M235i a lot myself. Looks so much better IRL (I cannot wait to see the M2 either).

To me, the badge and naming is just as insignificant as the active sound. Almost completely fixeable with some dental floss and goo gone.
A name is just a name that marketing wants to use. It's got nothing to do with how the car drives. I'm very sure I'm in the minority that thinks that. Should it just have been a 235i? Probably. Still a great car though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
The numbers I saw for the F8x were 0-60 4.1 which was the same numbers I had seen for the E9x DCT depending on which mag tested it (I believe it was Car & Driver though) but I stand corrected if it's 3.9

Power almost the same, less torque however torque is only good if you can get traction & the weight of the F8x keeps going up so until someone unbiased buys one & weights it

And don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a little faster but I doubt it's that big of difference. Even with the E46M the E9x was faster but it wasn't a blow out!
You are correct. In terms of RWD cars with normal-ish rear sized tires, traction will be an issue. But it still doesn't change the fact that the F80/2 will be faster in a 0-60. And in real life situation, oh I don't know, 30 mph roll (don't know how people race on the streets these days haha), I don't think it'll even be close. Whereas the E9x has been pretty consistent with what BMW claims, maybe a few factory beasts here and there, the turboed cars across the range have always been underrated.

Still doesn't make me dislike the E9x though. Hell I'll probably drive it to work tomorrow so it doesn't feel bad that I've been defending the F80/2 all morning today
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #395
jc05e46m3
Colonel
44
Rep
2,522
Posts

 
Drives: '15 YMB/SO M4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I do like the M235i a lot myself. Looks so much better IRL (I cannot wait to see the M2 either).

To me, the badge and naming is just as insignificant as the active sound. Almost completely fixeable with some dental floss and goo gone.
A name is just a name that marketing wants to use. It's got nothing to do with how the car drives. I'm very sure I'm in the minority that thinks that. Should it just have been a 235i? Probably. Still a great car though.




You are correct. In terms of RWD cars with normal-ish rear sized tires, traction will be an issue. But it still doesn't change the fact that the F80/2 will be faster in a 0-60. And in real life situation, oh I don't know, 30 mph roll (don't know how people race on the streets these days haha), I don't think it'll even be close. Whereas the E9x has been pretty consistent with what BMW claims, maybe a few factory beasts here and there, the turboed cars across the range have always been underrated.



Still doesn't make me dislike the E9x though. Hell I'll probably drive it to work tomorrow so it doesn't feel bad that I've been defending the F80/2 all morning today
True. I hate their marketing, but their sales figures are astounding. Hard to argue with logic. They're making a killing.

As far as the E9x though, I surely miss mine. Sold it far too quickly, but got exactly what I wanted for it (probably because of the deisirable colors and 6MT) +mods. I missed my E46, too. I still am one of the few who think the E46 is almost a timeless design. I love the body. Everytime I see one with full suspension and wider tires and killing it at the track, I miss it even more. BMW is doing a lot right.

EDIT: , but I love days when NOTHING is going on at work and things are running smoothly. It gives me so much time on here.
__________________
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #396
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
M3/4 life's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: League City, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Lexus RX 330  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
THIS!

Wow, I'm seeing light here! I agree with you on the long-term reliability concern and only time will tell. I really hope it holds up.
Yeah reliability is really important to me for my job is 5 miles round trip from my house & on my gym days I drive 10 miles, I just hit 24,000 miles on my 09. So for me when I buy a car it’s for the long term when I was younger I always wanted the newest & latest model out however wife, kids & mortgage seem to change that & once I hit my 40’s my view point’s started to change. At this point my focus is early retirement; however I still want a Porsche as a toy within the next 5 years….

Like most I was extremely excited about the new M I thought BMW was going to finally make an M to compete with Porsche then I here it’s a turbo then on top of that they give it more torque but barely any increase in hp. So it’s not that I’m a fanboy of the E9x just kinda disappointed but we’ll see.
__________________
2009 E92 M3 DCT: BPM tune + DCT tune & Servotronic | Velos Solo VII 19x 8.5, 19x11 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35/19 front 295/30/19 rear | M Performance Exhaust | BCM Air Intake Filter
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST