BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source

05-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
kitesurfer
Private First Class

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Need Brass Caliper Bushing Install Advice

So I purchased 2 set of Brass caliper bushings from Bavarian Auto Sport to upgrade all 4 oem M3 Brake calipers...Came to find out they did not fit the larger guide pin bushings on the front calipers (but do fit the rears).

I subsequently purchased a set from Bimmerworld that is specifically designed fit the front calipers...

...so here is my Dilemma Bav. Auto directions state to install the bushing so that the snap ring is on the outside of the caliper. BW's directions are the exact opposite and states to install bushing with snap ring side on the inside of the caliper which looks like more of a PITA to get the snap ring on.

My rears have been installed with snap ring facing out. Who is right? does it really matter?... Anyone been a long term user of these bushings...how are yours installed?

Last edited by kitesurfer; 05-29-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: mistake
kitesurfer is offline   United_States
      05-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
lutfy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
So I purchased 2 set of Brass caliper bushings from Bavarian Auto Sport to upgrade all 4 oem M3 Brake calipers...Came to find out they did not fit the larger guide pin bushings on the front calipers (but do fit the rears).

I subsequently purchased a set from Bimmerworld that is specifically designed fit the front calipers...

...so here is my Dilemma Bav. Auto directions state to install the bushing so that the snap ring is on the outside of the caliper. BW's directions are the exact opposite and states to install bushing with snap ring side on the inside of the caliper which looks like more of a PITA to get the snap ring on.

My rears have been installed with snap ring facing out. Who is right? does it really matter?... Anyone been a long term user of these bushings...how are yours installed?
Used them on 2 diff cars now including my E90 M3. I have mine snapped on the inside following BW direction. My suggestion would be to call BW and speak with them. Personally that would be your best bet (to confirm or otherwise).

Your pads are going to thank you

Lutfy
      05-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
LiM3y
Major

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Lufty - did you clean the threads with a 9x1.25mm tap before installing as recommended by the non-M3 Ate install, but not mentioned in the BW M3 specific install?
      05-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
lutfy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Lufty - did you clean the threads with a 9x1.25mm tap before installing as recommended by the non-M3 Ate install, but not mentioned in the BW M3 specific install?
LiM3y,

No just standard grease and go. The instructions were fairly easy. What took a LOT of time was not having the right tool. Make sure the plier needle goes through the ring spot on.

Cheers,

Lutfy
      05-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
LiM3y
Major

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
LiM3y,

No just standard grease and go. The instructions were fairly easy. What took a LOT of time was not having the right tool. Make sure the plier needle goes through the ring spot on.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Yes - I had to swap my cheapo Kobalt retaining ring pliers for a set of Craftsmen already.