BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

This car just gets better and better! Some thoughts after a high-speed dash home...

Just got back home from visiting some friends and gave my M3 a good thrashing on the way back. The more I drive it, the more I love it!!

I've done just over two thousand miles now and have really started to use the full performance range. On my way back to London tonight I had it flat out at the rev limiter a few times (obviously I took a detour through Germany to get home, as I would never even consider doing those sort of speeds on a deserted A13 through Essex ). At 150-160 the car just feels so secure. At no point did it feel like I was straining the engine or the suspension and it was as rattle free as driving at 50. Through corners at those speeds the car weights up really nicely and there is a lot of resistance through the steering wheel, so you always know what's going on beneath you. It feels pretty much as quick as the V10 up to about 120 when, although it still has plenty pulling power, it starts to lack a little of the urgency that the extra 90hp gives. The gearbox also seems to be improving with age and changes at 8,000rpm are just sublime. So quick, in fact, that you barely have to lift the throttle as you drop the clutch.

I also shot across some back roads tonight, taking the car to the limit around a few corners. Turn-in is crisp and sharp and the chassis is up there with the best. You always know exactly what it is doing and there are no unexpected moments where the tail slides out without warning. The engine is so flexible that you almost never have to change out of third gear on a twisty road. Power is always available and the range is so great that you will almost certainly be back on the brakes before the next corner. It's one of those cars that can make most drivers look like a hero...

I love it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I'll soon have my day

any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Please post no more of this nonsense until my January delivery
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
any pictures?
Sorry, I had other things on my mind at 160...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Please post no more of this nonsense until my January delivery
What I really meant was it's rubbish and you have nothing to look forward to
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Well done

Well your impressions of the car has been always positive and it is good to hear from someone who owns and drives one. This will also silence some of our forum's arm-chair critics who have so far joined the anti M3 band wagon and ridiculed the car for no obvious reasons.
Mine is just a month way from delivery and can't wait for it.
My impressions were the same after I first drove the car soon after the launch. This is a car for all occasions although the purists (i.e. the respected CSL owners) might wait for a hardcore version of this car.
Filthy, keep enjoying and share your expereince with us from time to time. Great work!

Last edited by aussiem3; 10-27-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Sorry, I had other things on my mind at 160...
only 160!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
only 160!

Well, I had to give the police car a fighting chance...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Good to hear. Would also appreciate any more pics you can snap.
      10-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My car is also approaching 2,000 miles and my feelings are very similar.

Performance is great. Even 100MPH + acceleration seems very, very strong to me - not having enjoyed a V10 M5/M6 or anything else that would make me feel otherwise (bikes excepted). The engine revs forever, feeling that the red line has increased more than it really has compared to the old model. Exhaust/intake noise could be louder but the sound is sweet and seems just right.

I have had a few chances to really push the car and the handling is fantastic. The front end really digs in and I've always felt that I knew what the car was doing - despite the well documented poor steering feel (the one reported issue that had me concerned pre-delivery). Steering feel is still an issue for me but nothing like the scale we were all lead to believe - not spoiling my enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Have any of you hear of this,

The dealer I have ordered my M3 off told me that up to 5,000miles the engine shouldn't be revved to the full as an failure would void the warranty.

I sound unbelievable to me, I would understand 1500miles but not 5000miles, but in fairness I am new to M cars and don't know if this is true or just a new thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

The dealer I have ordered my M3 off told me that up to 5,000miles the engine shouldn't be revved to the full as an failure would void the warranty.

I sound unbelievable to me, I would understand 1500miles but not 5000miles, but in fairness I am new to M cars and don't know if this is true or just a new thing.

That's BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I had to give the police car a fighting chance...
I dont think these folks need any help

... coz most likely theirs has no speed governor
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

you have have mistaken 5000miles for 5000rpm. Breakin car should avoid going over 5k tach reading until after 1500 miles is reached
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Break-in

Quote:
you have have mistaken 5000miles for 5000rpm. Breakin car should avoid going over 5k tach reading until after 1500 miles is reached
Isn't 2,000 km (~1,245 miles) the stipulated end of "break-in"?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

If there is a break-in procedure, it should be documented in writing in the owners manual or elsewhere. They can't just hold you to something the dealer just said.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Braek-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
If there is a break-in procedure, it should be documented in writing in the owners manual or elsewhere. They can't just hold you to something the dealer just said.
Correct, it should be in the manual. This is what the manual for my E46 M3 says:

"To ensure that your vehicle provides maximum economy throughout a long service life, we request that you observe the following instructions:
Because of its engineering design, the BMW M3 is an especially high quality vehicle. It is in your best interest to follow the break-in procedure very closely. Doing this, you will create the basis for a long, optimum service life.

Engine and differential
Until a mileage reading of 1,200 miles (2,000 km): drive at varying engine
and road speeds, but do not exceed the following engine speeds or road
speeds: 5,500/rpm or 105 mph (170 km/h)
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits. Do not depress the celerator pedal to the full-throttle position.
> After you have monitored the breakin period for 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
you can begin to gradually increase both the engine speed and road speed.

You should also comply with these break-in procedures if the engine or
differential is replaced later in the course of the vehicle service life.

Tires
Due to technical factors associated with their manufacture, tires do not
achieve their full traction potential until an initial break-in period has elapsed.

Thus drive with extra care during the initial 200 miles (300 km).
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits.
When the vehicle is operated on wet or slushy roads, a wedge of water may form between the tire and the road surface.
This phenomenon is referred to as aquaplaning, or hydroplaning, and can lead to partial or complete loss of traction, vehicle control and braking effectiveness. Reduce your speed on wet roads.

Brake system
Approximately 300 miles (500 km) must elapse before the brake pads and disks
achieve the optimal pad-surface and wear patterns required for trouble-free
operation and long service life later on. To break-in the separate parking brake drums, apply the parking brake lightly when coasting to a standstill (at a traffic signal, for instance), provided that traffic conditions allow you to do so. To avoid corrosion, repeat this procedure from time to time. The brake lamps do not come on when the parking brake is set.
Vacuum for the brake system servo unit on your BMW is available only when the engine is running. When you move the vehicle with the engine off – when
towing, for example – substantially higher levels of pedal force will be
required to brake the vehicle.

Clutch
The clutch will also begin to function optimally after about 300 miles (500 km). Drive cautiously during this break-in period and do not shift roughly."

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I must have mishear him, thank god. So for the 1500miles keep her below 5000rpm and things will be
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Just got back home from visiting some friends and gave my M3 a good thrashing on the way back. The more I drive it, the more I love it!!
Hey Filthy, I am curious, when driving hard as you describe in your post, what do you have your MDrive settings set to? Do you have everything set at "max" or it something less than that?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I must have mishear him, thank god. So for the 1500miles keep her below 5000rpm and things will be
The run-in details should be listed on a sticker on the top right-hand side of your windscreen. From memory -

Up to 1,200 miles, no full throttle, vary the revs up to a maximum of 5,500 and, from memory, don't go above 110mph.

From 1,200 up to 3,000 miles, the full rev range and full throttle can be used, with a maximum sustained speed of 150mph, up to 160 for 'overtaking'...

I'll check when I'm in my car later on this evening and edit this to make sure it's accurate.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Hey Filthy, I am curious, when driving hard as you describe in your post, what do you have your MDrive settings set to? Do you have everything set at "max" or it something less than that?
Yes, I have everything set to the sportiest setting.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #21
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, I have everything set to the sportiest setting.
Hi, does that mean all traction control is off or are you still using the magic of M?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Correct, it should be in the manual. This is what the manual for my E46 M3 says:

"To ensure that your vehicle provides maximum economy throughout a long service life, we request that you observe the following instructions:
Because of its engineering design, the BMW M3 is an especially high quality vehicle. It is in your best interest to follow the break-in procedure very closely. Doing this, you will create the basis for a long, optimum service life.

Engine and differential
Until a mileage reading of 1,200 miles (2,000 km): drive at varying engine
and road speeds, but do not exceed the following engine speeds or road
speeds: 5,500/rpm or 105 mph (170 km/h)
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits. Do not depress the celerator pedal to the full-throttle position.
> After you have monitored the breakin period for 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
you can begin to gradually increase both the engine speed and road speed.

You should also comply with these break-in procedures if the engine or
differential is replaced later in the course of the vehicle service life.

Tires
Due to technical factors associated with their manufacture, tires do not
achieve their full traction potential until an initial break-in period has elapsed.

Thus drive with extra care during the initial 200 miles (300 km).
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits.
When the vehicle is operated on wet or slushy roads, a wedge of water may form between the tire and the road surface.
This phenomenon is referred to as aquaplaning, or hydroplaning, and can lead to partial or complete loss of traction, vehicle control and braking effectiveness. Reduce your speed on wet roads.

Brake system
Approximately 300 miles (500 km) must elapse before the brake pads and disks
achieve the optimal pad-surface and wear patterns required for trouble-free
operation and long service life later on. To break-in the separate parking brake drums, apply the parking brake lightly when coasting to a standstill (at a traffic signal, for instance), provided that traffic conditions allow you to do so. To avoid corrosion, repeat this procedure from time to time. The brake lamps do not come on when the parking brake is set.
Vacuum for the brake system servo unit on your BMW is available only when the engine is running. When you move the vehicle with the engine off – when
towing, for example – substantially higher levels of pedal force will be
required to brake the vehicle.

Clutch
The clutch will also begin to function optimally after about 300 miles (500 km). Drive cautiously during this break-in period and do not shift roughly."
Seems to be exactly the same like it's written in the E92 M3 manual.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0