BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

VF Engineering

05-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #265
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Drives: m3

Reducing signals also isn't desired. The system is tuned to reproduce music the way it was meant to be heard by Dirac and settings all down the middle. Really no need to lower but a few frequencies but only by as little as you can. You will find at moderate to high volume, keeping the bars all in the middle with only high frequencies lowered 2 notches, bass and treble in middle and surround off is best sound this system puts out. Eq is used for a system that has not been produced already by a program like Dirac. Surround uses Dolby prokogic and sounds like shit. It wasn't designed by Dirac. Also fader needs to be middle or plus/ minus 1.

If you don't like the sound you need to get better quality music. The two weak points if Dirac is wayyyy too many tweeters at 7!! And poor low bass. I got rid if 3 tweeters and replaced with mid speakers . Sounded wayyy better . Im putting sub from musicar in and band passing 8 inch under seat wiofers from 50-200 as that is range they really play well
      05-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #266
narkotic
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011.75 E90 Sedan ZCP DCT

Any way to add enhanced premium sound? What all is involved? Different speakers or just different amp / processor?
      05-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #267
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Different everything but upgrading HiFi you have is so easy to get amazing sound better than individidual audio. Search around regular e90post audio .upgrade speakers, add an amp to run speakers, underswat woofers and get a sub. Google musicar . They sell packages for our cars with sub enclosure made for our trunk to blend in the side
      05-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #268
narkotic
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011.75 E90 Sedan ZCP DCT

Thanks Colorado - I should have done a search after posting that question as it looks like it was answered several times before. The retrofit appears to be a lot of work - I'd love to keep it OEM but for that kind of money and labor might as well go aftermarket.

Is there anyone that's done the retrofit as a DIY effort on this forum? Would be fun to see.
      05-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #269
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Its not possible man. Probably be 7k with labor
      05-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #270
Remonster
Captain

Drives: M3 6MT VT2-625 - 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotic View Post
Thanks Colorado - I should have done a search after posting that question as it looks like it was answered several times before. The retrofit appears to be a lot of work - I'd love to keep it OEM but for that kind of money and labor might as well go aftermarket.

Is there anyone that's done the retrofit as a DIY effort on this forum? Would be fun to see.
You're going to spend just as much as getting a custom sound system. Bring your car down to San Diego and take it to La Jolla Audio, they'll build you a system that will destroy the Enhanced Premium Sound and it will probably end up being cheaper. This is coming from someone who has EPS in my M3 and actually enjoys it for aside from a few limitations.

The thing a lot of people don't understand about audio is the difference between how humans perceive sound and the way sound systems reproduce sound. Humans don't hear all frequencies at the same volume when they are played at the same amplitude. More importantly, the difference in perceived volume of different frequencies changes at different overall volume levels. The EPS system sounds pretty decent at very high volume (it still lacks low bass and could be better in a few areas but it's actually one of my favorite systems on any stock car). When you adjust the volume, though, all frequencies are getting louder or quieter by the same amount, the shape of the frequency response curve stays relatively constant.

When you listen at more moderate volume levels, the human ear perceives bass and certain parts of the treble band to be lower than the midrange so a system tuned to sound right at a high volume level will sound dull and lifeless at the normal volumes most of us use on a normal day. The EQ built into the car is a great way to tune the frequency response of the system to sound better (not only to your personal tastes but possibly 'better' in an objective sense - closer to the ideal frequency response at that volume level).

I attached an image of Fletcher-Munson curves which show the ideal frequency response at various volume levels. These are also called Equal Loudness Contours because a system with a frequency response that matches these curves will sound accurate and 'right' at the right volume level. You can see why most people like to add bass and treble to their systems, you're probably listening somewhere around 70-80dB which is a normal-high listening volume. Anything above 90 is quite loud and would make conversation difficult, many people listen at these volumes but only occasionally.

I also want to say that the people saying you should cut instead of boosting with an EQ are right, you'll achieve the same results with more headroom (ability to turn the system up without running into distortion). Once you find the settings you like, take the highest setting and make that zero and adjust everything else down from there. For example, with Malek's settings set 1KHz to 0, 500Hz to -1, 200Hz to -3, etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Remonster; 05-10-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Remonster is offline   United_States
      05-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #271
///Mangler
First Lieutenant

Drives: E30 M3, E90 M3

Garage List
1991 E30 M3  [0.00]
97 M3  [0.00]
2000 E39 M5  [4.50]
2000 E39 M5  [0.00]
That's exactly how I have mine.

T
Attached Images

05-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #272
coloradoe92m3
Banned

I know in theory cutting works but on this system it starts to sound hollow. Even when keeping all relative spacing. I find it really won't distort at all up to max volume when everything is left centered with bass at middle. So distortion isn't an issue . I've tried everything and really everything down middle with bit of high freq cut is ideal
.if only they would have given adjustment of 50hz and 75hz, that would have been perfect to filter out sub bass at high volumes as that's the only area it can be in clear but depends on song
      08-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #273
rgoose18
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 Audi RS 4

Tried OP's settings and even though they're better than factory, the system sounds SOOO muddy especially at low volumes. Just switched cars from a RS4 to M3 and my stock base RS4 system was much better IMHO.

Luckily I like the car better