BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Evolve Automotive

04-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #89
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 AUDI S4 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk
The new Mk7 GTI or VW R. I've always been a fan of those boxy little buggers.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...roduction.html

I'd love to see this come to US...
      04-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #90
Clippers_FTW
Private
Rep

Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrecio84 View Post
I've owned both cars, first an 05 STI and then went to an 08 EVO X before getting my m3. The EVO feels more refined than the STI. More precise and responsive in terms of handling. Both are great for modding. Very little money gives a ton of HP. I dyno'd 350 wheel with FBO in my EVO and like 330 wheel with FBO in my STI. Never had any problems with either, people that have issue's either don't know how to drive or just got their cars tuned by shitty tuners. Plain and simple. So if I had to go back to either, it would definitely be the EVO but you can't really go wrong with either. A turbo AWD platform is so much fun, to the point to where I actually ended up having to get rid of my EVO because my driving record was getting worse by the month
My Evo was almost uncrashable... I loved that car. I will probably look for an evo with a blown motor to add to my stable... Build it and drive it. I absolutely love evo's... especially the 8's and 9's.. the 10's are a little to watered down for me (still great cars). 4G63's arent that expensive. A little work and a big ass turbo and your rollin around in a complete monster .. a GTR killer..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #91
s85e90
Colonel
Rep

Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrecio84 View Post
I've owned both cars, first an 05 STI and then went to an 08 EVO X before getting my m3. The EVO feels more refined than the STI. More precise and responsive in terms of handling. Both are great for modding. Very little money gives a ton of HP. I dyno'd 350 wheel with FBO in my EVO and like 330 wheel with FBO in my STI. Never had any problems with either, people that have issue's either don't know how to drive or just got their cars tuned by shitty tuners. Plain and simple. So if I had to go back to either, it would definitely be the EVO but you can't really go wrong with either. A turbo AWD platform is so much fun, to the point to where I actually ended up having to get rid of my EVO because my driving record was getting worse by the month
not a fair comparison from an older sti to an evo x. You need to compare evo 8-9 to 05 sti.

And even the best tuned ones break. 4g63 are amazing, but still a Mitsu.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #92
Lucrecio84
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Laguna Seca Blue e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
not a fair comparison from an older sti to an evo x. You need to compare evo 8-9 to 05 sti.

And even the best tuned ones break. 4g63 are amazing, but still a Mitsu.
The STI hasn't really changed much since 04 engine wise and I believe OP stated he was considering an EVO X, not an 8 or 9. Never meant to imply they were unbreakable, but definitely pretty durable. Sure if you push anything to its limits, it will blow but I will stand by my last statement. Usually blown motors with those cars are the result of a shitty tune.

GINTANI STAGE 2+/FORGESTAR F14'S/AKRA GT4 EXHAUST SYSTEM/HEADLIGHTS BY ONEIGHTY
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #93
Lucrecio84
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Laguna Seca Blue e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippers_FTW View Post
My Evo was almost uncrashable... I loved that car. I will probably look for an evo with a blown motor to add to my stable... Build it and drive it. I absolutely love evo's... especially the 8's and 9's.. the 10's are a little to watered down for me (still great cars). 4G63's arent that expensive. A little work and a big ass turbo and your rollin around in a complete monster .. a GTR killer..
Yea that would be a nice lil toy to have. I remember the AMS evo's back in the day. Those things were really fast!

GINTANI STAGE 2+/FORGESTAR F14'S/AKRA GT4 EXHAUST SYSTEM/HEADLIGHTS BY ONEIGHTY
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #94
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep

I owned a 2013 STi. I had the limited version with a few more interior perks. The interior was nice. Nothing stellar, but the leather seats were comfy, the seat heaters worked great, and wasn't too terrible to look at . Frankly I didn't care much about the inside because my eyes were always looking ahead.

It handled great for a stock car, and had some good perk to it.

My biggest complaint was the MPG. I hypermiled it for a bit and managed to squeek 20mpg. If you're coming from an M3 it's probably not a big deal. I was just irritated as I was coming from a 550hp mustang, and a 400+ Gen 1 CTS-V, both of which had gobs more power AND got better MPG.

At the end of the day the AWD was a blast, but I just couldn't get over a 4cyl that got me sub 19mpg when driving normally. I felt like a bigger engine could get more power, work less, and get me more economy, and thus, the car felt like a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #95
Clippers_FTW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I owned a 2013 STi. I had the limited version with a few more interior perks. The interior was nice. Nothing stellar, but the leather seats were comfy, the seat heaters worked great, and wasn't too terrible to look at . Frankly I didn't care much about the inside because my eyes were always looking ahead.

It handled great for a stock car, and had some good perk to it.

My biggest complaint was the MPG. I hypermiled it for a bit and managed to squeek 20mpg. If you're coming from an M3 it's probably not a big deal. I was just irritated as I was coming from a 550hp mustang, and a 400+ Gen 1 CTS-V, both of which had gobs more power AND got better MPG.

At the end of the day the AWD was a blast, but I just couldn't get over a 4cyl that got me sub 19mpg when driving normally. I felt like a bigger engine could get more power, work less, and get me more economy, and thus, the car felt like a compromise.
I had tons of money dumped into my car. Drove from Rancho Cucamonga to vegas on a quarter tank.. 500+ hp all wheel drive being able to do that.. pretty nice. Not driving in boost 30+ mpg easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #96
ChrisF
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3

..but that was the trick....staying out of boost

Kind like never revving the E92 past 4K; nearly impossible.

Damn this thread. Found myself browsing the classifieds on socalevo for cars. UGH!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #97
Alex07M3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF
..but that was the trick....staying out of boost

Kind like never revving the E92 past 4K; nearly impossible.

Damn this thread. Found myself browsing the classifieds on socalevo for cars. UGH!
I don't think I agree with you, the S65 makes really poor gaz mileage even when you don't drive it like it was meant to!
      05-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #98
muccels
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: e93,C5,Tahoe,Gsxr750

Good decision to get a house/condo.. Thats at least a better financial move for the future. I too sold my 2005 competition M3 to get a bigger and better house. I love where I live now and was a great move. I shortly after that got a 2008 M3 convertible! So bite the bullet for a minute no matter what you get just be content. Then if in the near future you can afford to get back into an M do so. I just sold a 2001 C5 vette and 1996 lifted tahoe and got a used 2007 honda Odyssey!! lol I don't even have family or kids just a big old dog!! I am now peeping out a c7 next year. So as much as we like our toys always make good money decisions for the good of your future and there will always be time to play.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #99
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I don't think I agree with you, the S65 makes really poor gaz mileage even when you don't drive it like it was meant to!
very true. only thing that makes s65 get decent mileage is 70mph in cruise on the freeway then you can get 21-22. short shifting around town doesnt help much.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0