BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source

04-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #45
coloradoe92m3
Lieutenant

Drives: m3

Little to feminine for me but of a Cayman works go for it
      05-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #46
surewin
///M3mber

Drives: AW '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I think the bottom line is this:

Track/Twisty roads: Cayman
Street: M3

People who feel like the Cayman is underpowered probably measure the car based on daily driving, accelerating from light to light or on the freeway. I think the M3 excels here because of the high revs and engine note. It just feels more exciting to go fast (at least in a straight line). I can almost guarantee that if any proficient driver drove both cars back to back on a road course, they'd probably pick the Cayman S as the better car.

Though the M3 is no slouch in the corners, a lighter, balanced mid-engine car is going to feel so much better in those scenarios. So in the end you just have to figure out where you have the most fun when driving. Obviously this isn't taking into account other things like back seats and cargo space.
The bolded description is one of the main reasons why the Cayman doesn't appeal to the average consumer. One other reason is that the average consumer thinks it's just a poor man's 911. Personally I'd even pick the 981 S over a base 991 Carrera because of the mid engine balance. The 981 S seriously feels like a go kart in the corners compared to my car, but being a family man I need the back seat and cargo space.

Alpine White | Carbon Fiber Roof | 6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust

Last edited by surewin; 05-07-2014 at 02:39 AM.
surewin is offline   United_States
      05-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #47
surewin
///M3mber

Drives: AW '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
Been driving a family members base 2014 cayman lately(pdk) and I'm starting to fall in love with the car, contemplating trading my car in for a 6 speed cayman s. my car has 26k miles on it and the blue book is 40 and my car is completely paid off so it would be a little note... thoughts?
I'd go for it if you can sacrifice the rear seats and cargo space. I've also driven the 6 speed 981 S and I really like the shifter placement. The throws feel notchy and precise.

I became a believer of the 981 S after driving my bro's numerous times. Here's a pic of his car if you need more convincing

Alpine White | Carbon Fiber Roof | 6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust
surewin is offline   United_States
      05-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #48
STALKER
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have a 991 C4S, if I didn't need a back seat, or had room to park a daily driver, I would have bought 981 S instead most likely. It's a fantastic car!!!