BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #23
spikes111
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday View Post
Just took this screen shot from bmwusa.com. Looks as thought you are correct.
The weight of the 135i on BMW's site is a mistake. There's no way in hell this car is 500 pounds more than the 128i!!
__________________
spikes111 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikes111 View Post
The weight on BMW's site is a mistake. There's no way in hell this car is 500 pounds more than the 128i!!
So when BMW posts a SPEC, you would rather assume it was wrong based on absolutely no data. You do realize its not that much of a smaller car, its very easy for it to have a similar weight. In fact it would be very easy for it to weigh more with a change in only a few materials.
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
Zeroday
Colonel
 
Drives: Plymouth Volare
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your nerves

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikes111 View Post
The weight on BMW's site is a mistake. There's no way in hell this car is 500 pounds more than the 128i!!
It's 55lbs heavier according to bmwusa.com. Where the heck did you get 500??
Zeroday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #26
mesier1111
Banned
 
mesier1111's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA

Posts: 1,628
iTrader: (0)

The more I look at this car the uglier it gets.
mesier1111 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #27
E30Dave
Registered
 
Drives: E30 325i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lexington, KY

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
So when BMW posts a SPEC, you would rather assume it was wrong based on absolutely no data. You do realize its not that much of a smaller car, its very easy for it to have a similar weight. In fact it would be very easy for it to weigh more with a change in only a few materials.
God forbid BMW be wrong, but I seriously doubt the 6M set-up will weigh 348 lbs. more than the automatic. Instinct tells me it's 3372 lbs., not 3732 lbs. BMWUSA.com lists the 335i Coupe's unladen as 3571 lbs. with the 6M, which puts this car at about 200 lbs. less, which is a bigger difference than the 335i has over the 535i sedan that rolls in at 3660, also according to BMWUSA.com. Life experience tells me the 135i probably doesn't weigh more than the 535i, but I've been wrong before.

There's plenty of power here, but what I'd like to know about is the wheel base compared to a 3 Series. If I could find a modern-day version of an E30 to stablemate with my 325i, I'd be thrilled.
E30Dave is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #28
akhbhaat
Captain
 
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Straddling the pond.

Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

The number on the BMWNA site is a typo. Unladen weight for the European spec 135i is 1560 kg. Note: that includes 75 kg for driver and luggage (as do all BMW curb weights to date!).

That's 3440 lbs. I'd expect the US model to be the same or more due to a greater level of standard equipment (electric seats and moonroof are not standard on the Euro model) - though I don't know if BMWNA is still using the EU convention (curb weight plus 75 kg for driver/luggage) for listing their unladen weights.

Therefore, the difference in mass between the 135i and 335i isn't particularly large. I think it's vastly overhyped, myself, and it's difficult to see what real incentives this car offers over the 3er. The 123d is a more interesting product.
__________________
No significant quantities of judgment-impairing narcotics were consumed during or before the creation of this message.
akhbhaat is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #29
Zeroday
Colonel
 
Drives: Plymouth Volare
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your nerves

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Dave View Post
God forbid BMW be wrong, but I seriously doubt the 6M set-up will weigh 348 lbs. more than the automatic. Instinct tells me it's 3372 lbs., not 3732 lbs. BMWUSA.com lists the 335i Coupe's unladen as 3571 lbs. with the 6M, which puts this car at about 200 lbs. less, which is a bigger difference than the 335i has over the 535i sedan that rolls in at 3660, also according to BMWUSA.com. Life experience tells me the 135i probably doesn't weigh more than the 535i, but I've been wrong before.

There's plenty of power here, but what I'd like to know about is the wheel base compared to a 3 Series. If I could find a modern-day version of an E30 to stablemate with my 325i, I'd be thrilled.
3732 is the gross weight for the 135. 3384 is the actual unladen weight of the car with no passengers.
Zeroday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Dave View Post
God forbid BMW be wrong, but I seriously doubt the 6M set-up will weigh 348 lbs. more than the automatic. Instinct tells me it's 3372 lbs., not 3732 lbs. BMWUSA.com lists the 335i Coupe's unladen as 3571 lbs. with the 6M, which puts this car at about 200 lbs. less, which is a bigger difference than the 335i has over the 535i sedan that rolls in at 3660, also according to BMWUSA.com. Life experience tells me the 135i probably doesn't weigh more than the 535i, but I've been wrong before.

There's plenty of power here, but what I'd like to know about is the wheel base compared to a 3 Series. If I could find a modern-day version of an E30 to stablemate with my 325i, I'd be thrilled.
Right, that is wonderful. That is what happens when specs get converted by site creators. It's unfortunate that he linked what he linked. Go look at the correct OFFICIAL specs ate bmw.com NOT bmwusa.com

you will see a 40kg difference, which is about 80 pounds.

Thank you.

O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #31
Zeroday
Colonel
 
Drives: Plymouth Volare
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your nerves

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764

it's not small people?!
Zeroday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #32
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday View Post
I know I have tried to explain this. It is not much smaller. What it is, is a slightly smooshed 3 series that looses its proportions and lines.
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #33
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,202
iTrader: (0)

Sort of like when you have a 3 and a 6 side by side and you realize that the 6 isn't that much bigger?
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #34
O-cha
Brigadier General
 
O-cha's Avatar
 
Drives: Mcoupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of you

Posts: 4,729
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to O-cha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Sort of like when you have a 3 and a 6 side by side and you realize that the 6 isn't that much bigger?
Right, the word is proportion. The 6 has a proportionally lower roof line than the 3 series. It is also much sleeker of a line. The difference is actually measured in centimeters and a lot of it is the sleekness.

The 1 series is 10 centimeters shorter, yet has a 4 cm higher roof line. The result? Well you can see the result.
O-cha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #35
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
 
aequitas330's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn View Post
Awesome
Yeah, pretty much
__________________
Sig designed by Nikki:

aequitas330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #36
E30Dave
Registered
 
Drives: E30 325i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lexington, KY

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Right, that is wonderful. That is what happens when specs get converted by site creators. It's unfortunate that he linked what he linked. Go look at the correct OFFICIAL specs ate bmw.com NOT bmwusa.com

you will see a 40kg difference, which is about 80 pounds.

Thank you.

Thanks for the specs sheet, you're swell! The 80 pounds thing is even better, then as it puts it right in line with the 335i being *about* that much lighter than the 535i, right? So this makes a lot of sense. The biggest difference between BMW's anymore seens to be the price tag and the name of the leather they use. I guess I'll have to settle for dakota.

Thanks again for the sheet.
E30Dave is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #37
TheoIam
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 03 M5 Carbon/Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Marin Ca

Posts: 334
iTrader: (0)

Oh Jezz this thread also.
TheoIam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #38
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
 
ArmyBimmerDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Lola
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
The more I look at this car the uglier it gets.
__________________
2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i
ArmyBimmerDude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 05:46 AM   #39
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,566
iTrader: (1)

I notice no time frame for this product is given other than "eventually". I wonder just how close there are to having this ready?
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - FOR SALE - Engine failure at 95k miles.
Best offer takes it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post16279561
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #40
Garrett
Banned
 
Drives: 2004 330ci
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mich

Posts: 1,356
iTrader: (0)

LOL...

Many of you are forgetting the whole premis of the 135i ..!

It's ment to be a smaller, more agile, "tossible" car..! It's a BMW clubsport mentality that the grosely oversized e90 cannot duplicate.

Hell, the e46 was getting a little on the BIG side, the e90 is just too large for sportiness. It's too long and elegant.

Learn what the BMW engineers put into this car, both in design and performance before you think the 335i is a big brother to this smaller beasty! There not even the same car when it comes to handling. The first clue is the 6-pot Brembos up front... the 335i doesn't even offer this.

Some of you need to get a clue and READ..!







-Garrett
Garrett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #41
superman
Private
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Hampshire

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
3732 is the gross weight for the 135. 3384 is the actual unladen weight of the car with no passengers.
So the gross wieght for the automatic is 3252, less then unladden, and the manual's gross is more tan the unladen. That makes no sense at all. It also makes no sense for the manual to be more then the automatic. It is obviosly a typo. So the 335i is 3571 and say the 135i is 3372 which would make more sense to how much the automatic wieghs, that is a 200 pound difference, which is huge. That it at least .2 off your 0-60 time. That is a big difference. I really do not get why people flame this car. They should be happy bmw is making a cheaper, quicker car, with sick brakes. If I had a 335 coupe I would be happy, and not flame the 1. I personally have my eyes now set on the one to save some money, but Ill admit the 335 is a nice car.

Chris
superman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #42
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X1-35i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: A Bipolar Planet

Posts: 1,158
iTrader: (0)

I can't get used to those headlights on the 1. It reminds me of the cat on Shrek 2...


Gort is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #43
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DrewKo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,568
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
If you can get this car with the upgrades for around 35k-40k, then its a very good deal for the performance considering the engine hp/torque. It would be a much better car for autocross than the 335i, which needs a LSD, tires, wheels and coil overs/sways to even begin any real level of competitiveness based on my experience. I personally think the car looks great, except for the longish head light casings.
DrewKo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #44
Zeroday
Colonel
 
Drives: Plymouth Volare
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: your nerves

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
So the gross wieght for the automatic is 3252, less then unladden, and the manual's gross is more tan the unladen. That makes no sense at all. It also makes no sense for the manual to be more then the automatic. It is obviosly a typo. So the 335i is 3571 and say the 135i is 3372 which would make more sense to how much the automatic wieghs, that is a 200 pound difference, which is huge. That it at least .2 off your 0-60 time. That is a big difference. I really do not get why people flame this car. They should be happy bmw is making a cheaper, quicker car, with sick brakes. If I had a 335 coupe I would be happy, and not flame the 1. I personally have my eyes now set on the one to save some money, but Ill admit the 335 is a nice car.

Chris
My comments have nothing to do with the car i own, they have to do with published BMW figures on this car's weight. It is 40kg less than a 335i. Period. All this talk of the 135i being the new 2002 is just pipe dreams. It's a porker.
Zeroday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST