BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Racewerkz Engineering

02-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #331
Rupes
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I only have one set of ramps, how critical is it for the car to sit totally flat in order to drain out the oil?

Also, when it comes time to add the new filter, do you place yours in the housing and screw the cap on, or do you place the filter in the cap and screw it on.

Lastly, when removing the old oil from the filter housing, can you use paper towels, or is there some concern over the fibers from the towel being left as some type of debris?

Last edited by Rupes; 02-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Rupes is online now   United_States
      02-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #332
Sleeper519
Captain

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Sorry for the naive question, but where do you (properly) dispose of the old oil after you DIY an oil change?

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
      02-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #333
backhill
Private

Drives: E90 M3 - B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Sorry for the naive question, but where do you (properly) dispose of the old oil after you DIY an oil change?
Take it to an Autozone or an O'Reilly Auto Parts store. They will disposed of it free of charge. Can't speak to pep boys or any other chains.
      02-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #334
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Here we have curbside pickup with other recyclables.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
      02-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #335
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
I only have one set of ramps, how critical is it for the car to sit totally flat in order to drain out the oil?

Also, when it comes time to add the new filter, do you place yours in the housing and screw the cap on, or do you place the filter in the cap and screw it on.

Lastly, when removing the old oil from the filter housing, can you use paper towels, or is there some concern over the fibers from the towel being left as some type of debris?
1) I only jack up the front and it's fine. However, when it's time to refill and check the oil level, you obviously want to be flat.
2) I put the filter into the housing, then put cap on, press it down and start tightening. Don't forget to rub some motor oil on the big gasket on the cap.
3) Use a turkey baster. They are like 2 bucks from Walmart. There's a good amount of old oil in that housing.
      02-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #336
Rupes
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

1) I only jack up the front and it's fine. However, when it's time to refill and check the oil level, you obviously want to be flat.
2) I put the filter into the housing, then put cap on, press it down and start tightening. Don't forget to rub some motor oil on the big gasket on the cap.
3) Use a turkey baster. They are like 2 bucks from Walmart. There's a good amount of old oil in that housing.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.
Rupes is online now   United_States
      02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #337
e92zero
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

For #2, just want to add that I fill the housing 1/2 back up fresh oil before putting the filter into the housing, then pour oil all over the filter til the housing is almost full before I put the cap back on. This seem to help a bit on that first start after the oil change.
      03-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #338
jhbrennan
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Great reading!! Just to reconfirm, the drain plugs are 6mm hex. I just bought two as spares with the crush washers at the dealer - total cost with tax $5.54.
Part number for plug is 07-11-9-904-550
      04-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #339
Macky112
newb

Drives: 2008 E93 M3, 6MT

harbor freight jack for oil change

Hi All,

I searched through this forum and cannot find a definite answer on which harbor freight floor jack to get.

They have 3 types of jacks that fits my budget (with coupon):
1. 1.5ton racing jack that's 22" in length (3.5" clearance)
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...html-7814.html

2. 1.5ton racing jack that's 27" in length (3.5" clearance)
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-...ump-68054.html

3. 3ton steel jack that's 29" in length, but also its the lowest profile at 2-7/8"
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-l...ump-61253.html

if I want to get a jack and 4 jack stands for my oil change DIY, would any of the above 3 mentioned jacks reach the center front and back jack points on the M3? I have a bone stock E93 convertible on stock OEM 19inch wheels

any input is appreciated

M
Macky112 is offline   Taiwan
      04-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #340
kwality
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 aw m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky112 View Post
Hi All,

I searched through this forum and cannot find a definite answer on which harbor freight floor jack to get.

3. 3ton steel jack that's 29" in length, but also its the lowest profile at 2-7/8"

if I want to get a jack and 4 jack stands for my oil change DIY, would any of the above 3 mentioned jacks reach the center front and back jack points on the M3? I have a bone stock E93 convertible on stock OEM 19inch wheels

any input is appreciated

M
i have seen other members put the front of the car on ramps first before getting to the front center jack point.

i can't speak for the rears and i do not know how to get the rear up.

I am thinking about getting the 3rd option. sorry i couldn't answer your question.

also, does anyone know or has this jack and can confirm if the saddle can cradle the reverse logic jack point adapter? my craftsman 2.5 ton saddle is a smaller than the adapter plate. this saddle is straight metal no rubber to act as friction. i do not feel comfortable jacking this up fearing it will slip going up or down.

thanks.
      04-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #341
adc
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwality View Post
also, does anyone know or has this jack and can confirm if the saddle can cradle the reverse logic jack point adapter? my craftsman 2.5 ton saddle is a smaller than the adapter plate. this saddle is straight metal no rubber to act as friction. i do not feel comfortable jacking this up fearing it will slip going up or down.

thanks.
Yes it will fit within the sunken portion of the saddle, it would not slide around because the saddle is castellated (has a few raised claws). You can also get a sheet of rubber of some sort and trim it to fit inside the saddle just like the aluminum jacks have.

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
      04-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #342
kwality
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 aw m

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes it will fit within the sunken portion of the saddle, it would not slide around because the saddle is castellated (has a few raised claws). You can also get a sheet of rubber of some sort and trim it to fit inside the saddle just like the aluminum jacks have.
Awesome! Thanks!!
      04-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #343
adc
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky112 View Post
Hi All,

any input is appreciated

M
The 2 smaller alu jacks will not reach for sure, I have one of them. I also doubt the steel one will. If you search on amazon, there are a couple of more expensive and considerably longer/lower steel jacks which I believe will do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-29023-Pr...w+profile+jack

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
      04-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #344
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The 2 smaller alu jacks will not reach for sure, I have one of them. I also doubt the steel one will. If you search on amazon, there are a couple of more expensive and considerably longer/lower steel jacks which I believe will do the trick.

I have this jack and you can easily lift the car from the front. A very good buy.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
      04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #345
d0o0fy
Private

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3
Quote:

I have this jack and you can easily lift the car from the front. A very good buy.
I got the ATD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OUZVK0) which is exactly the same as the Omega except cheaper. It reaches the front jacking pad but I still needed to drive on ramps ( Race Ramps Track Jacks http://www.reverselogic.us/phone/sho...72&id=20353232) since the car was too low with the ZCP suspension.
d0o0fy is offline   United_States
      05-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #346
S1RC

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Did my first change today, went smoothly just took a while for the oil to drain.

Used a MityVac to suck out the excess oil in the filter housing and adding a bit back in before tightening.

I put 8.25l back in and waited for a measurement.

When I started the car the first time it got loud (about 2-4 clicks of the engine) for a second then went back to normal. I would think this is oil circulating again correct?

Hoping I didn't damage anything. Done many oil changes before on other cars, drain, replace filter, fill oil. This was no different.
      06-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #347
Ryguy29
TrizzlemyniZzzlE3

Drives: Sparkling graphite m3 coupe

while changing my oil i only removed one of the two plugs but had the car on lift and waited till it completly stopped dripping. do u think i got it all or theres going to be some leftover in under that second plug that i missed?
      06-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #348
///My5UV
Lurker

Drives: E39M5, E90M3

There's probably a good pint or so still in there, but unless you still have it in the air and can pop the other plug I wouldn't worry about it... you'll find out when you see how much oil it takes.
      08-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #349
CHV

Drives: 2011 M3 6MT, 2009 911S

Excellent Thread. Read every post. Did oil change and had a buddy film it for me. Here it is

[u2b]http://youtu.be/Iwy8eIn6z2A[/u2b]

Last edited by CHV; 08-14-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: trying to fix vid link
      08-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #350
Flying Ace
Lieutenant

Drives: Sopwith M-Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy29 View Post
while changing my oil i only removed one of the two plugs but had the car on lift and waited till it completly stopped dripping. do u think i got it all or theres going to be some leftover in under that second plug that i missed?
not sure if you noticed, but the air pressures play a role in draining the oil.

You need to remove the oil cap and the oil filter housing and you'll see some more in drain out. then when there's a drip in the front sump, plug that up, and you'll see the air pressure come into play and more oil comes out of the main oil pan.

nevertheless you should drain the front sump. There's some oil in there, but if you didn't, no real big deal, it'll just recirculate the old oil, but it's not too significant.
      08-29-2014, 01:46 AM   #351
Sapper_M3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
It's not a T40 like some numb nuts have said. Both drain bolts are hex/Allen wrenches.
So, I'll dredge up this old (but useful) thread again to post an interesting finding I made today:

I followed this thread before I did my first mid-BMW-interval oil change, and I found--like many others here--that the two drain plugs were hex/allen bit.

I got underneath the car today to do my second mid-BMW-interval oil change (meaning the dealership conducted an oil change after my last self-service oil change), and I found that the front drain plug was 6mm hex as usual....but the rear drain plug appeared to be stripped so badly I couldn't fit the 6mm hex. After a quick freak-out because I have a track day tomorrow, I took a closer look at the grooves and noticed that they weren't stripped. They were Torx. I pulled out a T40 torx, and it fit perfectly.

I'll take a picture of the drain plug in the next few days, but it is 100% a T40 Torx drain plug. After all the harsh words and fierce back and forth debate, I think we overlooked the possibility that BMW dealerships sometimes use either (or in my case, both) Torx and Hex/Allen.
Sapper_M3 is offline   United_States