BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #969
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
 
MidwestGolfBum's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey E92s
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: No Coast

Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
turkey avocado sandwich
That's a damn good looking sammich.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
I can never have cross dressing fun nothing ever fits!
MidwestGolfBum is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #970
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,999
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
That's a damn good looking sammich.
Indeed
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2014, 02:15 AM   #971
kingofthedemo
Major
 
kingofthedemo's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
turkey avocado sandwich
That looks awesome, nice presentation!
__________________
MY PROGRESS LINK: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766852


''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
kingofthedemo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #972
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

P1et have you ever been to La Traviata? If you're a fan of spaghetti carbonara, I personally think they have the best rendition of carbonara in Austin.

Here's the kicker - they actually don't make their pastas in house. From what I can tell, they use cheap, $1 store bought pastas from HEB. However despite that fact, the sauce is really well done and the pasta is still cooked to a perfect al dente. Their subtle use of lemongrass is absolutely masterful.

Personally I always get it without the egg yolk but it's probably good either way.

Sagra used to have my favorite carbonara dish back when they were at their old location on San Antonio st. They made their pasta in house, and they used a wonderfully fatty guanciale where they rendered the fat into the sauce.

Since moving to their new location, they use simple pancetta and the sauce isn't quite the same, but it's still O.K. It's probably worth a try.

Do not get their pasta "il grosso." It's absolutely inedible.

Sagra offers their Carbonara during brunch on Sundays for $12, while La Traviata offers their Carbonara for dinner every night @ $15.

Personally, I think the carbonara at La Traviata is overpriced for the portion size which is a little irritating, but the flavor is wonderful and most yelpers and google reviewers rave about it. Sagra used to be slightly overpriced @ $10 per carbonara dish, but they've increased the price to $12 because they're really struggling to make ends meet as a restaurant. They may not be open 1 or 2 years down the road, so try it while you can!

Blue Dahlia is next on my list whenever I get some free time.
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #973
P1et
Brigadier General
 
P1et's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 3,251
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
P1et have you ever been to La Traviata? If you're a fan of spaghetti carbonara, I personally think they have the best rendition of carbonara in Austin.

Here's the kicker - they actually don't make their pastas in house. From what I can tell, they use cheap, $1 store bought pastas from HEB. However despite that fact, the sauce is really well done and the pasta is still cooked to a perfect al dente. Their subtle use of lemongrass is absolutely masterful.

Personally I always get it without the egg yolk but it's probably good either way.

Sagra used to have my favorite carbonara dish back when they were at their old location on San Antonio st. They made their pasta in house, and they used a wonderfully fatty guanciale where they rendered the fat into the sauce.

Since moving to their new location, they use simple pancetta and the sauce isn't quite the same, but it's still O.K. It's probably worth a try.

Do not get their pasta "il grosso." It's absolutely inedible.

Sagra offers their Carbonara during brunch on Sundays for $12, while La Traviata offers their Carbonara for dinner every night @ $15.

Personally, I think the carbonara at La Traviata is overpriced for the portion size which is a little irritating, but the flavor is wonderful and most yelpers and google reviewers rave about it. Sagra used to be slightly overpriced @ $10 per carbonara dish, but they've increased the price to $12 because they're really struggling to make ends meet as a restaurant. They may not be open 1 or 2 years down the road, so try it while you can!

Blue Dahlia is next on my list whenever I get some free time.
I have been to La Traviata quite a few times, but it's not a place I've been to in years. Probably because it's not easy to get close to when you have to drive downtown. My parking spot is on Lavaca, so suppose I should give it another try.

On the topic of good Italian food: my favorite spot for a quick bit is currently Enoteca. Reasonably priced, but the dishes have more flavor than any other Italian restaurant I've had the pleasure of eating at in Austin.

I started with the Suppli, which was perfect. I also tried the Zucchini Fritti which, in hindsight, was overkill because I was already full after that. Then we had the Melanzana & Zucchini and the Rigatoni con Polpette and the I almost fell off my chair. Definitely highly recommended.
P1et is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #974
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Drives: F01 ~ Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (Plano, TX)

Posts: 314
iTrader: (0)

Smile

Pork Chops, Sweet Peas & Carrots, Olive Oil & Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Cornbread (sweet corn kernels baked inside)




#soulfood
__________________
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/5517/htie.jpg
TXSTYLE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #975
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have been to La Traviata quite a few times, but it's not a place I've been to in years. Probably because it's not easy to get close to when you have to drive downtown. My parking spot is on Lavaca, so suppose I should give it another try.

On the topic of good Italian food: my favorite spot for a quick bit is currently Enoteca. Reasonably priced, but the dishes have more flavor than any other Italian restaurant I've had the pleasure of eating at in Austin.

I started with the Suppli, which was perfect. I also tried the Zucchini Fritti which, in hindsight, was overkill because I was already full after that. Then we had the Melanzana & Zucchini and the Rigatoni con Polpette and the I almost fell off my chair. Definitely highly recommended.
Yeah I hear you. Parking around La Traviata (or any restaurant around that part) is a nightmare, not to mention ridiculously overpriced. I usually park in the lot at the corner of Guadalupe St. and 3rd st. but I cringe every time because it's like $8 or $9.

I took a snapshot of Sagra's carbonara today -



The noodles are fresh, doughy, and perfectly al dente. They have a nice bite to them.

I've been to both Enoteca and Vespaio. I think Vespaio has among the best risottos in Austin. They don't give enough, but the quality of the stock is excellent and they know how to make risotto properly runny.

The former head chef of Enoteca Vespaio now works at Peche, and it really shows in Peche's "daily menu" food. Not surprisingly, Peche also has among the best risottos in Austin. Peche's service is horrendous, though, but I don't really care about poor service. I'm all about the food.
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #976
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Peche has both twitter and facebook accounts where they post their daily menu. For example, tonight's daily menu is:



http://ow.ly/i/59qI1/original
https://twitter.com/Peche_Austin

Unfortunately for me I'm not a big fan of sweetbreads so no Peche tonight

But yeah Peche's strength lies with its tremendous variety. They actually change their "daily menu" daily or at least every 2 or 3 days.
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #977
i dunno
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a pair of legs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
brunch from today

irish carnivore scramble - bangers, bacon, ham, onions, cheese


i made rice with chinese sausage for dinner
i dunno is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #978
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Drives: F01 ~ Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (Plano, TX)

Posts: 314
iTrader: (0)

Wink

Just a big ass platter of Seasoned & Marinated Grill Chicken!!!

__________________
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/5517/htie.jpg
TXSTYLE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #979
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Drives: F01 ~ Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (Plano, TX)

Posts: 314
iTrader: (0)

Smile

I take my "Southern Cooking" very seriously and enjoy certain dishes in particular. Such as this Collard Green recipe I'm preparing as you read this.

Ingredients:

Collards
Ham Hocks
Bacon
Onion
Garlic
Olive Oil
Red Chilies (dried)
Chicken Stock
Salt & Pepper


Saute the oil, onions, garlic, chili and bacon for @ 10min
add Chicken Stock and Hocks continue cooking for 20-30 min over med heat to let all that yummy goodness create a broth full of flavor!
Then add your Greens or Cabbage (works just as well) and cook on low heat for 1.5hrs.
Enjoy with your favorite meats and sides and especially Cornbread!




Finished dish coming soon...
__________________
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/5517/htie.jpg
TXSTYLE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #980
AW335TT
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Posts: 486
iTrader: (0)

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
AW335TT is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #981
i dunno
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a pair of legs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
chicken tikka masala with rice for lunch
i dunno is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #982
BKap08
Colonel
 
BKap08's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
chicken tikka masala with rice for lunch
MMMM love this stuff, being indian this and lamb curry are my favorite indian dishes
__________________

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Gunmetal M359 Reps|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
BKap08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #983
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
MMMM love this stuff, being indian this and lamb curry are my favorite indian dishes
What are your thoughts on the seemingly pervasive urban myth that chicken tikka masala is a "British" dish and not an Indian dish?
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #984
BKap08
Colonel
 
BKap08's Avatar
 
Drives: LCI
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
What are your thoughts on the seemingly pervasive urban myth that chicken tikka masala is a "British" dish and not an Indian dish?
people say that because in india 99% of curries dont actually have any cream added where butter chicken and tikka masala have. Its a lot spicier in india and if anything yogurt is used instead to cut the fat count.

I know in my house when we make any type of curry theres no cream/yogurt added into the dish. We do have yogurt on the side to cut the heat but thats in nearly every indian household. I know curry is a popular dish in UK but dont know to the extent of how its made over there. Also in india when you try to order chicken tikka masala off the menu its traditionally never offered at authentic restaurants. Its westernized like crazy. When I eat indian food out i enjoy the heavier cream based curries but at home I think the way my family makes it is soo much better
__________________

|2010 E90 LCI 328i|Matte Black grilles|35% Ceramic Tint|Gunmetal M359 Reps|ST Coilovers|Mtech Front Bumper|
BKap08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #985
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
people say that because in india 99% of curries dont actually have any cream added where butter chicken and tikka masala have. Its a lot spicier in india and if anything yogurt is used instead to cut the fat count.

I know in my house when we make any type of curry theres no cream/yogurt added into the dish. We do have yogurt on the side to cut the heat but thats in nearly every indian household. I know curry is a popular dish in UK but dont know to the extent of how its made over there. Also in india when you try to order chicken tikka masala off the menu its traditionally never offered at authentic restaurants. Its westernized like crazy. When I eat indian food out i enjoy the heavier cream based curries but at home I think the way my family makes it is soo much better
Yeah that makes sense.

It's like when people call fettucine alfredo an "american dish." In reality, fettucine alfredo is just a slightly modified version of a classic italian dish fettucine al burro e panna or pasta al burro e panna (literally translated as pasta with butter and cream).

The only difference is that the american interpretations often use overcooked noodles and the ratio of butter and cream is totally off.

The classic italian dish uses more butter than cream, whereas the americanized version often drowns the whole dish in cream.

Nevertheless, I'll still hear people incorrectly claim that fettucine "alfredo" isn't an italian dish. It is. It's just not called "alfredo" in italy, and it's poorly done. That doesn't make it an american dish.
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #986
Rotorocious
Major
 
Rotorocious's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (3)

Rotorocious is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #987
i dunno
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a pair of legs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
What are your thoughts on the seemingly pervasive urban myth that chicken tikka masala is a "British" dish and not an Indian dish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKap08 View Post
people say that because in india 99% of curries dont actually have any cream added where butter chicken and tikka masala have. Its a lot spicier in india and if anything yogurt is used instead to cut the fat count.

I know in my house when we make any type of curry theres no cream/yogurt added into the dish. We do have yogurt on the side to cut the heat but thats in nearly every indian household. I know curry is a popular dish in UK but dont know to the extent of how its made over there. Also in india when you try to order chicken tikka masala off the menu its traditionally never offered at authentic restaurants. Its westernized like crazy. When I eat indian food out i enjoy the heavier cream based curries but at home I think the way my family makes it is soo much better
wait i really thought it was a fact that chicken tikka masala was invented in the UK lol. i thought it was like how orange chicken and fortune cookies were invented here in the US.

Last edited by i dunno; 04-12-2014 at 12:14 AM.
i dunno is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #988
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
wait i really thought it was a fact that chicken tikka masala was invented in the UK lol. i thought it was like how orange chicken and fortune cookies were invented here in the US.
Well that part might be true...
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #989
P1et
Brigadier General
 
P1et's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 3,251
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Well that part might be true...
I'd say that a proper curry, whether Indian or Thai, is a real treat for me. My wife makes a killer chicken korma at home, completely from scratch. I definitely have never had a better chicken korma in a restaurant. And she's not Indian, she was born outside of Ft. Worth...
P1et is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #990
NemesisX
Captain
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'd say that a proper curry, whether Indian or Thai, is a real treat for me. My wife makes a killer chicken korma at home, completely from scratch. I definitely have never had a better chicken korma in a restaurant. And she's not Indian, she was born outside of Ft. Worth...
nice. As far as restaurants go, the best curry I've had was at a place called Vij's restaurant in Vancouver, BC -

http://www.vijs.ca/

4.5 stars with 434 reviews on google reviews, and 4.5 stars with 501 reviews on yelp.

This was probably 5 or 6 years ago now but I still remember the lamb curry dish I had at Vij's. No restaurant in Austin comes even close in my opinion. Austin's indian fare ranges from stunningly mediocore (claypit) to abjectly disgusting (bombay grill), although my brother says Teji's on guadalupe is OK for the price. I have yet to try it, though, but we'll see.

Claypit used to be acceptable to me when they first opened, but their quality has taken a turn for the worst in recent years. A year ago I attended a friend's graduation party at claypit. Claypit offers their special "butter chicken" dish for catered events and I thought that tasted pretty good. Other than their butter chicken (which they don't offer during regular dining hours), I'm not much of a fan of anything else.

I swear, for catered events Claypit will prepare their curry from scratch. If you go during lunch hours, for example, the curry tastes like it's been frozen for days and heated up prior to serving.
NemesisX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST